WI: the Troubles continued into the 21st century, effect of 9/11 on Americans view of the IRA

There's a stereotype - I don't know how true it is - that the main form of funding for the IRA and various other Irish Republican groups came from Irish pubs in Boston. It's certainly true that figures such as Congressman Pete King stayed with people connected to the IRA when he stayed in Ireland, and even Ted Kennedy was more chummy with Gerry Adams than plenty of people are comfortable with.

My question is, having been a victim of terrorism themselves, would Americans view of the IRA turn sour if the Troubles had continued into the 21st century?

This question, incidentally, was sparked by a discussion between a family member and myself about Bobby Sands, and how I, having grown up in a post 9/11 world, think Margaret Thatcher's actions were completely justified. The family member, being a good thirty years older than me and having been old enough to remember Bobby Sands' death being in the news, disagreed.

I don't think so.
First just on the surface being white and Christian likely gives them some leeway, also the U.S. has a massive Irish population compared to our muslim one.
The narrative is also different, it's much easier to see the Irish as freedom fighters trying to reunify their homeland.

I can't wait to see the BBC exposé of IRA funding coming out in 2012. The UK public didn't want to be Iraq in OTL. Just imagine when they are reminded that their allies are paying for them to be shot at.

As I said in another thread even post 9/11 in the mid 00s I had first hand experience in Boston of fundraising for dissidents even post GFA. Also remember the relationship with Libya didn't affect US support even with the aftermath of Lockerbie.