WI: The IRA assassinateQueen Elizabeth II?

Let’s say that during the Troubles, some members of the IRA manage to successfully assassin the queen. As for which IRA? I’d say the Provosional.

For the time frame, let’s say early 80’s. How will this affect the course of history? What changes will follow? I know this will likely be a pivotal point in the Troubles, probably all British history, but what exactly will happen because of it?

Thatcher would crush IRA really brutally. There hardly would be much sympathy for IRA anywhere. And if IRA manages to last to end of 1990's not chances for Good Friday Agreement. There is not even negotiations.

We would too get king Charles III (or probably George VII) about 40 years earlier. That has some intresting effects on British royal family.

If there is any international sympathy for the PIRA's cause, it is shattered instantly. No one wants to be associated with a group that just killed a popular sovereign. Like Lalli said, this would only galvanize the British resolve, probably ending any chance of negotiations. Charles' divorce from Diana would also be even messier, considering he is now reigning.

Having thought more about it, and being a native, I can comfortably say this would spark massive riots across Northern Ireland, starting in Belfast and spreading outward fast. These would likely last for two months, maybe longer. These riots would be triggered by the Unionists as retaliation for the Queen’s assassination.

Belfast would outright become a war zone. This would be the worst violence of the Troubles. Easily.

Any an all support monetarily or otherwise from the US and other countries would stop and GB/England would be give a hall pass allowing them to do pretty much what they want to in going after the IRA.

There would be virtually no support for the IRA anywhere except for maybe parts-parts-of Belfast. The cause of Irish republicanism, and republicanism in general, would be severely set back. I have no doubts that Thatcher would enact more extreme repression in Northern Ireland

It would probably be a very bad time to be Irish and extremely bad and likely fatal to be in any way associated with the IRA.

It's worth bearing in mind that the IRA council were initially hesitant to carry out the Brighton Bombing in an attempt to assassinate Margaret Thatcher as they feared a potentially ferocious response from the British security services if they were successful.

I can't imagine them sanctioning an attempt on the Queen and likely regretting their actions quite quickly in they did.
If it was some sort of loan wolf or opportunistic hit from IRA members further down the ranks I could very easily see them being disowned and hung out to dry by the IRA or even handed over to the British to try and temper a potentially savage response.

mattep74

Kicked
Thatcher would crush IRA really brutally. There hardly would be much sympathy for IRA anywhere. And if IRA manages to last to end of 1990's not chances for Good Friday Agreement. There is not even negotiations.

We would too get king Charles III (or probably George VII) about 40 years earlier. That has some intresting effects on British royal family.
Considering how Celtic and Ireland fans behaved when the queen actually died i think that many on Ireland and in Scotland would have sympathy for the IRA

Moscow would tell Thatcher that they had nothing to do with it and sever all ties with the IRA

If it is before Charles and Diana is married then i think Charles will not marry Diana. If it the first years of the marriage then i think they will be together until death do them part. If it is the last years of the 80s then i think they will divorce, but keep it more civil

“ The brick of Belfast” EP
What does EP mean? Effortpost?
Considering how Celtic and Ireland fans behaved when the queen actually died i think that many on Ireland and in Scotland would have sympathy for the IRA

Moscow would tell Thatcher that they had nothing to do with it and sever all ties with the IRA

If it is before Charles and Diana is married then i think Charles will not marry Diana. If it the first years of the marriage then i think they will be together until death do them part. If it is the last years of the 80s then i think they will divorce, but keep it more civil
Football fans do not represent the majority population. You’ll find no more uncivilized bunch than them.

But I do anticipate a drop in IRA support initially, but whatever response follows will be so harsh support will spike.

If it was some sort of loan wolf or opportunistic hit from IRA members further down the ranks I could very easily see them being disowned and hung out to dry by the IRA or even handed over to the British to try and temper a potentially savage response.
It would make no difference whether it was a rogue action or not, or whether the IRA leadership turned them over or not. The Republican paramilitaries of whatever brand and their supporters are utterly f***ed.

This happened, as many may remember, in the original Fear Loathing and Gumbo. It was quite a shift in Britain, as a young (and unrestrained) King Charles (ITTL King George VII) would be quite different from the matured King Charles III we know today.

One part of Drew's timeline that I didn't quite like, personally speaking, was the fact that Anne was killed by Ian Ball, while the Queen was killed by the PIRA. Both Prince Philip and Prince Andrew survived assassination attempts from Turkish Grey Wolves and Ulster loyalists respectively. It was a bit of overkill, literally.

Will this influence Argentina? They could invade the Falklands in the meantime.
That would look suspiciously like they arranged or aided the assassination to begin with. And since you cannnot prove a negative, there would be no way to clear that suspicion no matter what they do.

This happened, as many may remember, in the original Fear Loathing and Gumbo. It was quite a shift in Britain, as a young (and unrestrained) King Charles (ITTL King George VII) would be quite different from the matured King Charles III we know today.

One part of Drew's timeline that I didn't quite like, personally speaking, was the fact that Anne was killed by Ian Ball, while the Queen was killed by the PIRA. Both Prince Philip and Prince Andrew survived assassination attempts from Turkish Grey Wolves and Ulster loyalists respectively. It was a bit of overkill, literally.
Sorry, did you just say Ulster… loyalists?

Charles was considered mature and serious when he was in the navy, and this was also a common view by the time of the 1977 Silver Jubilee.

A small fringe, quickly being denounced and privately reminded what is the most likely outcome of pulling a lions tail.