WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think ITTL TNG would fall into the 'Planet of the Hats' trope for the Klingons, Romulans, and even the Humans just because of the legacy of the longer TOS, and S:I, esp the latter that has given us sneaky, canny, political Klingons, and warrior Romulans. Plus not all Humans are default mode 'good' - nor are all Admirals 'crazy' - all this means that going into TNG the writers have a massive legacy to build off.

Plus ITTL TNG is not the first Trek on TV since the 70's, so that talent knows how to make Trek work. I think TNG ITTL will be great.

The only real worry will be if TNG is just S:I extended and not its own Beast quick enough, similar to how Ent was just more TNG/DS9/Voy instead of its own Thing.
Sometimes I fall into the “badmiral” trap. What I don’t do a lot of is time travel

the Borg were seriously weakened when overdone (see Voyager).

My main complaint in regards to the Borg in ST:VOY is that the show-writers dropped the ball and missed the opportunity to have Borg origins story, where and when did the Borg come from and what set Species 1 (Or would that be Species 0) down the path leading to the formation of the Borg Collective.

My main complaint in regards to the Borg in ST:VOY is that the show-writers dropped the ball and missed the opportunity to have Borg origins story, where and when did the Borg come from and what set Species 1 (Or would that be Species 0) down the path leading to the formation of the Borg Collective.
Oh hhell no, we don't need a origin story.

They appeared, plain and simple. No need for origins, because it's far back.

I have to think of a good origin story otherwise I’m going to leave their origin nebulous like IRL. I could have Q expand a little bit more on them when Picard and the Enterprise first meet them

I'm not familiar with this trope, what is it?
The trope that since there's not enough time in an episode to have the plot and a deep dive into the culture of this planet (which may never be referenced again), the culture has to be pushed aside. So the whole deal that TOS Klingons were somehow all warriors, despite the fact that other roles would be needed to make a workable society: that's a planet of hats. "Planet of Hats" trope is in the link.

Not to be mistaken for "Planet of Hats", a webcomic recap of TOS.

Chapter 229: September 1987 (Start of TNG)
Finally I had some time to write this. About 85% Star Trek and 15% other things, like the NFL and the American political situation.

thumb-1920-511184.jpg

ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT GETS MIXED REVIEWS DESPITE AUDIENCE OF 45 MILLION
FANS NOT SOLD ON PATRICK STEWART AS CAPTAIN

Star Trek: The Next Generation scored huge ratings for its premiere, Encounter At Farpoint, attracting 45 million viewers. Despite the ratings win, Trek fans in a focus group were somewhat mixed in their reactions to Farpoint. "Another god-like being? How realistic is this?" Jennifer from Philadelphia said. "Kirk encountered about a dozen god-like beings, and right off the bat, our bald captain has to deal with one as well? And by the way, male-pattern baldness should be cured by the time we get to the 24th century. I don't know why the captain is bald. We could have gone with Rutger Hauer instead." Other fans were more optimistic about the new Trek. "Fans have to be patient while these new characters and the show gains its sea legs," Tom from Los Angeles said. "The Next Generation is following Starfleet Intelligence, and it'll be difficult to match how good that series was." Some fans liked the introduction of LeVar Burton's Geordi LaForge as first officer. "LeVar Burton will be the star of that new series, despite that bald Englishman playing a Frenchman as captain," Hank from Atlanta said. "The Next Generation had to place a black man in a command position after Nichelle Nichols showed the American people her excellence as Uhura in Starfleet Intelligence." However, most of the fans interviewed disapproved of the main character, Captain Jean-Luc Picard. "He seems weak to me," Tom said. "Kirk would have told that Q character where he could shove it. Picard seemed to bend to Q's will. They need to make Picard as strong as Kirk, otherwise the series will fail. I'm not sure how the writers are going to accomplish that."

Fans were at odds with the personality clashes that immediately existed between the main characters. "I think Troi is a little stuck up about Riker," commented Henrietta from Washington, D.C. "If I got to work with a man as handsome as Will Riker, I'd be a little nicer to him. Eventually he will grow on her and she will develop feelings towards him." Another noticeable fan reaction occurred when Benjamin Pulaski, the teenage nephew of chief medical officer Katherine Pulaski, admitted his feelings towards Wesley Crusher, one of his friends on board the Enterprise. "It was sad when Wesley let Ben know that he could only be friends with him and go no further," Mark from San Francisco said. "I felt for Ben, and his aunt Katherine, the doctor, was very comforting, almost like a mother figure." Fans were overwhelmingly positive in their opinions of Dwight Schultz, who plays Lieutentant Commander Reginald Barclay, and Brent Spiner, who plays Data the android. "They got Murdock to play the engineer! That's an absolute grand slam," Bill from New York commented. "Murdock was my favorite character on The A-Team." Patrick from Detroit approved of Data. "I think he's going to be Spock-like since they want to go with another science officer who relies on logic," Patrick said. In summation, most of the fans gave Farpoint a solid B. "It's a good start," all of the fans except Jennifer said. "Sometimes you don't hit the home run in your first at-bat, but we think Farpoint was a solid double." Jennifer had a different opinion. "They swung and missed on Farpoint. I'll give them two more chances, but if the next episodes are as awful as Farpoint, I'm going to write to Paramount and ask them to cancel this series."

R.jpg
gettyimages-462263236-594x594.jpg
H22358-L245733027.jpg

STARFLEET INTELLIGENCE WINS FOUR EMMYS
NICHOLS WINS THIRD IN FIVE YEARS; MERKERSON WINS EMMY IN FIRST MAJOR ROLE

Starfleet Intelligence closed its five-season run with a bang, winning four Emmy Awards in its final season. The third televised live-action Star Trek series, after the original Star Trek and Star Trek: Reliant, left the stage with the Outstanding Drama Series for 1987 with its series finale, The Final Act, Part I. Nicholas Meyer, who directed the blockbuster Trek outing The Wrath of Khan, was proud of the series' legacy. "We made a very rich universe full of new worlds and new civilizations, while building out the cultures of the original Trek species. The depth of the characters and the different civilizations within Intelligence makes it a Trek series that will stand the test of time. Nichelle Nichols took home her third Emmy in five seasons as Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama. "Twenty years ago, I couldn't imagine myself winning an Emmy, let alone three," Nichols said. "I love this franchise so much. However, our run is over, and I'd like to see if I can land a major movie role. I'm actually more proud for Epatha. She arrived to Intelligence having little experience in Hollywood and now she's a star."

S. Epatha Merkerson won the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for playing the no-nonsense Lieutenant Commander Maria Battles. Merkerson was informed that she would continue as Intelligence transitions to a mini-series format as the lead. However, Merkerson is also aiming higher. "I feel like Nichelle. I never thought I'd win an Emmy or even come close, and here I am," tears flowing from her eyes. "I could have gone on Pee Wee's Playhouse, but I made the right choice with Intelligence, despite joining the series in its final season. I received an offer from ABC to become one of the stars of a Vietnam War-era series and I'm seriously considering that role in addition to the mini-series work with Star Trek." With four more Emmys, Starfleet Intelligence closes out its run with 14 Emmys in the major categories and a host of other minor awards for cinematography, art direction, and special effects. Nichols closed the show with Meyer on stage hoping for success for the new Trek series, Star Trek: The Next Generation. "I wish David Gerrold all the luck in the world. He's got a big act to follow, and I think he'll continue the successful Star Trek tradition in the 24th century."

s-l500.jpg

NFL ROUNDUP: GIANTS ROLL TO 3-0 START
BEARS CONSIDERING QUARTERBACK CHANGE

The New York Giants picked up right where they left off from their dominant 1986 season and Super Bowl XXI victory. Facing a significant challenge from the Chicago Bears on the season premiere of Monday Night Football, the Giants hit Bears QB Jim McMahon 16 times and sacked him eight times en route to a 27-10 victory. "Everyone was talking about how the Bears were looking for revenge from 1985. Well, we showed them who was boss, right in front of their fans," defending NFL MVP Lawrence Taylor said. "We're looking for the three-peat and nobody is going to stop us." In Week 2, the Giants faced their archrivals, the Dallas Cowboys, who were looking to rebound after a 7-9 season. The Big Blue Wrecking Crew brought the pain to Cowboys quarterback Danny White, knocking him out for a second straight time, en route to an easy 24-7 win. Last week, the Giants hit Dan Marino, the all-world Miami Dolphins QB, a dozen times while the offense led by quarterback Phil Simms and newly acquired wide receiver Irving Fryar connected for three touchdown passes in a 34-10 rout. "We're off to a better start than I anticipated," head coach Bill Parcells said. "I thought we'd have a Super Bowl hangover, but that Bears game makes me more confident in this team. However, we have San Francisco and Washington next and they're two of the best teams in the league, so we'll have to play better to win those games."

The situation could not be worse for the Bears, who were expected to challenge for the Super Bowl but are 1-2. After losing to the Giants, the Bears eked out a 20-13 win over the lowly Tampa Bay Buccaneers before getting shocked by the Detroit Lions 17-14 in a game where Jim McMahon threw four interceptions. Bears coach Mike Ditka was non-committal about his quarterback heading into their Week 4 matchup in Philadelphia against Buddy Ryan's resurgent Eagles. "I'm thinking about going to Doug Williams," Ditka said, eliciting gasps from the assembled sportswriters. "I know Doug hasn't played in the NFL in a few years, but I cannot have my quarterback letting down my defense by being gun-shy and throwing interceptions. I think I'm going to have a heart attack with this team if they don't shape up soon." On September 30, Chicago sportswriters snuck into Bears practice and saw Doug Williams getting most of the first team snaps at quarterback in practice...

R.jpg
OIP.jpg

DOLE LEADS REPUBLICAN PRIMARY, BUT FACES CHALLENGE FROM ROBERTSON, BUSH

Kansas Senator Bob Dole, considered the frontrunner in the Republican primary next year, has a lead, but the shock second place position belongs to televangelist Pat Robertson. In a Gallup Poll, Dole gained the support of 34 percent of the Republican electorate, followed by Robertson with 24 percent and former CIA Director George H.W. Bush with 18 percent. Tennessee Senator Howard Baker lags in fourth place, with only 10 percent of the vote, while 14 percent of the Republican electorate remains undecided. Although Dole is still in the lead, he is being consistently attacked by Robertson on social issues. Robertson does not believe Dole is stringent enough on abortion; Robertson wants a full abortion ban, while Dole believes that exceptions should be given for rape, incest, and the protection of the mother's health in case of a miscarriage. "Bob Dole as President would compromise with the Democrats on abortion. I promise you, I will never give an inch on the sanctity of life," Robertson implored at a rally in Des Moines, Iowa. Dole also faces attacks from Bush for not being as staunchly anti-Communist as a Republican frontrunner should be. "I think Senator Dole is soft on communism," Bush said at a campaign stop in Davenport, Iowa. "President Glenn is more anti-Communist than Senator Dole, and that is embarrassing when you consider that Glenn is a Democrat and Dole is a Republican." Dole shook off the attacks. "The electorate knows that I'm tough on communism and believe in the principle that life begins at birth. They see that I'm a lot more reasonable than the alternatives."

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION EPISODES

Hat tip to @Plus-Sized Scribe for one of the story ideas in this update.

EPISODE 1: ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT (Airdate: September 8, 1987). See above. Largely the same as OTL.

EPISODE 2: BLOOD AND FIRE (Airdate: September 15, 1987). The Enterprise is sent on a rescue mission to the USS Copernicus, a science vessel where a plague has apparently infected and killed most of the crew. Geordi, Riker and Pulaski beam aboard the Copernicus and find two crewmembers who survived, Jonah Yarrel, a Starfleet military advisor, and Mackel Blodgett, a scientist from Regulus. Geordi discovers that there are tiny particles called "wavicles" that infected and killed 110 of the 131 crew aboard the Copernicus. Pulaski recommends a quarantine, but they encounter Regulan bloodworms, which are about 10 times the size of a regular worm. The bloodworms killed most of the crew. When Riker phasers one of the bloodworms, he discovers that the bloodworm transforms into the wavicles. Pulaski immediately knows that they cannot return to the Enterprise, otherwise they would bring the plague to the Enterprise. Data (on board the Enterprise) proposes a containment field, but Geordi reports back that the Copernicus' containment field did not work and that he, Riker and Pulaski are likely infected. Pulaski finds another solution; total and complete blood transplants. Picard asks the crew to donate blood, which they do, to 19 survivors, except for Blodgett and Yarrel. Yarrel reveals that the bloodworms were a means to attack the Ferengi. He is then killed by a bloodworm. Blodgett then discovers the real answer to the problem; he volunteers for the suicide mission by consuming the wavicles. The bloodworms respond surprisingly by transforming Blodgett into a non-corporeal being. The Copernicus is abandoned and the Enterprise goes on its way.

EPISODE 3: GENIUS IS PAIN (Airdate: September 22, 1987). The Enterprise goes to the planet Davalii and meets the Davalii race. The peculiarities of the Davalii present themselves immediately. They are a bohemian, suffering artist species who are all given a number at birth between one and twenty-six. However, the Davalii are able to recognize each other despite the repetitive names. Ben Pulaski and Data are curious about this species, but Picard believes they are being negatively influenced. Picard demands that the Davalii leave his vessel, as he needs to go to the New Montana colony in eight hours. However, one of the Davalii play havoc with the Enterprise's environmental systems, and the Enterprise cannot move. Picard contacts the New Montana prime minister stating his situation. The Davalii believe their new creation, a statue, will be well-received by the New Montana leadership, but Picard is afraid that there will be an incident between the two species. Surprisingly, the New Montanans are receptive to the Davalii after all; they love the statue, and invite the four Davalii aboard the Enterprise to their colony.

EPISODE 4: DATALORE (Airdate: September 29, 1987). Largely the same as OTL, but with John Larroquette as Lore instead of Brent Spiner pulling double-duty.

Blood and Fire sparked serious debate among Trek fans and the general public. Star Trek: The Next Generation was simultaneously criticized as a vehicle for gay support due to the AIDS analogy in the episode, but TV critics acclaimed the episode as one of the best in any Trek series. Genius Is Pain was considered a goofy entry in the series, good for a laugh or two, which served it well after the heavy nature of Blood and Fire. John Larroquette was acclaimed for turning in a strong performance as Data's evil brother Lore.

PS: I wrote this update in primetime on the US East Coast so I'm not sure how many eyeballs will see it (if most of the readership on AH is not on the US East Coast)

EPISODE 2: BLOOD AND FIRE (Airdate: September 15, 1987). The Enterprise is sent on a rescue mission to the USS Copernicus, a science vessel where a plague has apparently infected and killed most of the crew. Geordi, Riker and Pulaski beam aboard the Copernicus and find two crewmembers who survived, Jonah Yarrel, a Starfleet military advisor, and Mackel Blodgett, a scientist from Regulus. Geordi discovers that there are tiny particles called "wavicles" that infected and killed 110 of the 131 crew aboard the Copernicus. Pulaski recommends a quarantine, but they encounter Regulan bloodworms, which are about 10 times the size of a regular worm. The bloodworms killed most of the crew. When Riker phasers one of the bloodworms, he discovers that the bloodworm transforms into the wavicles. Pulaski immediately knows that they cannot return to the Enterprise, otherwise they would bring the plague to the Enterprise. Data (on board the Enterprise) proposes a containment field, but Geordi reports back that the Copernicus' containment field did not work and that he, Riker and Pulaski are likely infected. Pulaski finds another solution; total and complete blood transplants. Picard asks the crew to donate blood, which they do, to 19 survivors, except for Blodgett and Yarrel. Yarrel reveals that the bloodworms were a means to attack the Ferengi. He is then killed by a bloodworm. Blodgett then discovers the real answer to the problem; he volunteers for the suicide mission by consuming the wavicles. The bloodworms respond surprisingly by transforming Blodgett into a non-corporeal being. The Copernicus is abandoned and the Enterprise goes on its way.
Presumably at the end of the episode, there would be a PSA of the cast asking the audience to donate blood.

ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT GETS MIXED REVIEWS DESPITE AUDIENCE OF 45 MILLION
FANS NOT SOLD ON PATRICK STEWART AS CAPTAIN

I'm not surprised that a lot of Trekkies had trouble with the captain of the Enterprise being a very English Frenchman, in this respect Patrick Bachau would've been a better choice as Picard due to him being from the French-speaking part of Belgium (He speaks English with a French accent).

And by the way, male-pattern baldness should be cured by the time we get to the 24th century. I don't know why the captain is bald. We could have gone with Rutger Hauer instead.

Well IIRC male-pattern was cured in the 24th century but Picard chose the balding look as a conscious choice. Roy Batty as Picard would've caused a bit of flap amongst Trekkies;):D.

"They got Murdock to play the engineer! That's an absolute grand slam,"

No doubt H. M. "Howling Mad" Murdoch as an engineer would've attracted a lot of A-Team fans. During TTL TNG run, @dsp19 , perhaps you could have George Peppard, Mr. T and Dirk Benedict make guest appearances on the show, heh, imagine Lt. Starbuck as a Starfleet officer;). Speaking of Starbuck you could have former BSG stars also making guest appearances with Lorne Greene (Imagine Commander Adama as Starfleet admiral), Terry Carter (Col. Tigh), Richard Hatch (Capt. Apollo), maybe Maren Jansen (IIRC she had some serious health issues at the time), John Colicos (He could reprise his role as a much older Kor), Anne Lockhart, Herbert Jefferson Jr. and of course Lloyd Bridges (Imagine him as a maverick Starfleet captain, commodore or admiral). Also have Michael Ansara and William Campbell back as much older Kang and Koloth (Perhaps also William Campbell reprising his role as Trelaine).

but the shock second place position belongs to televangelist Pat Robertson

The late, unlamented Pat Robertson could be charitably described as an intolerant religious bigot.

but with John Larroquette as Lore

Heh! Dan Fielding as an evil psychopathic Lore would've been interesting.

I'm not surprised that a lot of Trekkies had trouble with the captain of the Enterprise being a very English Frenchman, in this respect Patrick Bachau would've been a better choice as Picard due to him being from the French-speaking part of Belgium (He speaks English with a French accent).

Well IIRC male-pattern was cured in the 24th century but Picard chose the balding look as a conscious choice. Roy Batty as Picard would've caused a bit of flap amongst Trekkies;):D.

No doubt H. M. "Howling Mad" Murdoch as an engineer would've attracted a lot of A-Team fans. During TTL TNG run, @dsp19 , perhaps you could have George Peppard, Mr. T and Dirk Benedict make guest appearances on the show, heh, imagine Lt. Starbuck as a Starfleet officer;). Speaking of Starbuck you could have former BSG stars also making guest appearances with Lorne Greene (Imagine Commander Adama as Starfleet admiral), Terry Carter (Col. Tigh), Richard Hatch (Capt. Apollo), maybe Maren Jansen (IIRC she had some serious health issues at the time), John Colicos (He could reprise his role as a much older Kor), Anne Lockhart, Herbert Jefferson Jr. and of course Lloyd Bridges (Imagine him as a maverick Starfleet captain, commodore or admiral). Also have Michael Ansara and William Campbell back as much older Kang and Koloth (Perhaps also William Campbell reprising his role as Trelaine).

The late, unlamented Pat Robertson could be charitably described as an intolerant religious bigot.

Heh! Dan Fielding as an evil psychopathic Lore would've been interesting.

--Patrick Bauchau will sound like a Romulan with a French accent :)
--I know Rutger Hauer played Roy Batty but he had the blonde look like Shatner and ITTL's TNG, he was more highly considered for the lead role as Captain.
--I want Ron Perlman ITTL to be an older Karlax who meets Worf periodically. George Peppard would make a great guest star as a "badmiral." Don't know about Mr. T on TNG though. Shatner was actually Adama ITTL if you go back a bit, not Lorne Greene, but Greene could be a good admiral instead of a "badmiral."
--I want to avoid Kor and Kang in TNG if I can help it. Koloth went to Stovo'Kor ITTL's TMP fighting the good fight against Kirk in his K'Tinga battlecruiser.
--Lloyd Bridges, Anne Lockhart, and Herbert Jefferson Jr. are good suggestions. I was also thinking Robin Williams, he almost did a TNG episode but his schedule got in the way. A couple of good female guest stars I was thinking of are Jamie Lee Curtis and Allison Janney, as they were in their late 20s when TNG premiered.
--I never said Pat Robertson was a good dude, I said he has more pull in the GOP ITTL because they are looking for a savior after Reagan's influence was blunted ITTL. The anti-establishment GOP voters think Dole is a milquetoast. However, Dole/Baker is probably the GOP's best shot to defeat Glenn in a general election. Papa Bush was tainted by the failed Iran hostage rescue ITTL and Robertson is untenable to the majority of voters as a general election candidate

Last edited:
Perhaps you could have a TNG episode where William Campbell reappears as a much older Trelaine provoking an appearance by an irate Q, the sparks would certainly fly;) :evilsmile: .

Perhaps you could have a TNG episode where William Campbell reappears as a much older Trelaine provoking an appearance by an irate Q, the sparks would certainly fly;) :evilsmile: .
Trelane would be interesting on TNG for sure.

I'm thinking of a couple of ideas for Pulaski (who started as the doctor in TNG). One involves her nephew fighting depression when he is trying to enter Starfleet Academy (his nephew is unsure about wanting to be a Starfleet officer). Another idea involves Pulaski being captured by the Romulans (Patrick Bauchau's character) because they believe the Federation is creating a bioweapon when they are actually curing a colony of Rigellian flu (which if transmitted to the Romulans, is a bioweapon ITTL). The Rigellian flu outbreaks in Federation space would explain the Romulan isolation more effectively than the actual canonical reason IRL

Another BSG actor I'd forgot to mention who'd be fun to see on TNG is Laurette Spang (She played Cassiopea the socialator later on medtech and Starbuck's love interest).

Last edited: