WI the Edmonton Tornado hits downtown Edmonton?

PoD: July 31, 1987 (Known as "Black Friday" by many in Edmonton and Alberta.)

The Edmonton tornado's path is a few miles to the west of its path OTL, meaning that it goes through the center of Edmonton, including the downtown area.

Effects, anyone, besides it likely being one of the deadliest (or more notable) tornadoes in history?

Last edited:
We've had tornadoes go through central business districts before (downtown Fort Worth, TX for example) without toppling any buildings. By 1987 radar allows sufficient tornado warning that people can get to interior spaces.

The result would be the destruction of a significant amount of property with the result being many severely damaged buildings and a few destroyed buildings. There may be dozens of people killed as a result of the weather.

Last edited:
Yeah, I initially thought this could kill hundreds, if not thousands but, with warnings, a lot of lives will be saved, IMO (since a lot of people will listen to the warnings). But the death toll from this alt-Black Friday will be at least 100, IMO, and it will be the deadliest tornado in Canadian history, and one of the deadliest in North American history...

There may be dozens of people killed as a result of the weather.

Well, technically, the ATL death-toll was in the dozens, since 27 is more than two dozen.

But if it hits downtown, and there are people in vulnerable structures, you could be looking at a death toll in the hundreds. Mind you, I don't know how skyscrapers usually fare against tornadoes(and one thing to keep in mind is that Edmonton skyscrapers in those days were among the shortest in N. America, owing to the downtown airport).

And of course, downtown is also adjacent to Boyle-McCauley, a low-income area with a lot of dilapidated housing, and Riverdale, a more gentrified version of the same farther down in the valley.

If the tornado managed to wreak havoc all over central Edmonton and the valley, but left the Muttart Conservatory, with its ancient Egyptian motifs, standing, I can see that becoming some sort of iconic "We Shall Survive" image.

Culturally, if the death toll is in the hundreds and some infamous photographs emerge from the tragedy, you could see Black Friday becoming a bit of a theme in Canadian arts and literature, maybe a couple of movies, plays, or novels about it, in the first decade or so after it happens.

(Credentials: In 1987 I was living about a five-minute bike ride from Refinery Row, and working at a nearby restaurant. I spent that evening and the next day helping to dispose of the food that had gone bad when the power went out.)

Another thing I remember was that the Evergreen Trailer Park was home to a woman who ran an occult bookstore on Whyte Avenue. Her mobile-home survived the tornado, but some people decided she must have been a witch, and vandalized the trailer.