WI the Bat bomb was successful?

bard32

Banned
Have you ever heard of the bat bomb? I admit I hadn't until I heard about it on
the History Channel's Weird Weapons of the Allies. The bat bomb was the most unusual weapon ever proposed. It was proposed by a Texas dentist
in a letter to William Donovan, the head of the OSS, who'd sent it on to FDR
telling him that the proposal should be taken seriously. It involved using Mexican brown bats as a bomb. Really, I'm not making this up. They didn't have fuses small enough in 1942, so they had to invent them. It involved dropping the hibernating bats into Japan and have them fly into the spaces in
the Japanese houses of the time and then at nightfall, they'd fly out of their
hiding places and set Tokyo, and other Japanese cities, on fire. Unusual? Yes,
made up by me? I wish. What if the bat bomb had succeeded? I'll just add this.
It was an alternatve to the Manhattan Project.

MrP

Banned
Never heard of that one.

They strapped explosives to dogs, and trained them to run underneath tanks. There they'd blow up. The plan was abandoned in part because it was whacky, and in part because the Russian dogs were usually trained on Russian tanks, leading to some friendly fire incidents, IIRC.

MrP

Banned
I thought this thread was about that Batman And Robin film from the mid-'90s. :(

The original Batman movie with West was great. He had Bat Shark repellent, and worked out that the Joker was involved in the plot because the shark had its teeth wrapped around his foot - and was thus pulling his leg. :D :D :D

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
They strapped explosives to dogs, and trained them to run underneath tanks. There they'd blow up. The plan was abandoned in part because it was whacky, and in part because the Russian dogs were usually trained on Russian tanks, leading to some friendly fire incidents, IIRC.

No matter how great the plan, the devil is in the details!

The original Batman movie with West was great. He had Bat Shark repellent, and worked out that the Joker was involved in the plot because the shark had its teeth wrapped around his foot - and was thus pulling his leg. :D :D :D
Was that the one that had a death-ray that turned people into sand? :confused:

Was that the one that had a death-ray that turned people into sand? :confused:

It was actually a superdehydrator, which can extract all moisture from humans and reduce them to particles of dust.

I feel soiled now that I was able to answer that question from memory....

Thande

Donor
It was actually a superdehydrator, which can extract all moisture from humans and reduce them to particles of dust.

I could have answered it as well: my world-famous Chemistry lecturer used that clip to illustrate something in a lecture to the general public :D

And B&R screw up the rehydration process by using heavy water instead of regular water, right? I'm thinking of the same movie?

MrP

Banned

Ah, the rehydration scene was a classic. :D

I could have answered it as well: my world-famous Chemistry lecturer used that clip to illustrate something in a lecture to the general public :D

WTF he did he demonstrate with that? :D

Thande

Donor
And B&R screw up the rehydration process by using heavy water instead of regular water, right? I'm thinking of the same movie?
That actually makes sense...well, at least by Batman standards.

WTF he did he demonstrate with that? :D
He was talking about the importance of water to the human body and was showing pictures of those dehydrated mummies in Russia (kids love a bit of gore) and that was another illustration of it.

MrP

Banned
That actually makes sense...well, at least by Batman standards.

He was talking about the importance of water to the human body and was showing pictures of those dehydrated mummies in Russia (kids love a bit of gore) and that was another illustration of it.

I love lectures by chaps with a sense of humour! :D

Thande

Donor
I love lectures by chaps with a sense of humour! :D
He was the same one who got those surly working-class kids to calculate how many helium balloons it would take to hold someone up, then tested their calculations by tying them to one of them and pushing them off a building. On the Discovery Channel. In fact, bard probably saw it :D

Actually --the Penguin had used the device on his minions and rehydrated them using heavy water --so there's this big battle sceene where B&R just touch the mooks and they disappear in a flash of light.

The end had some old guy sneezing on the dust of the 9 members of the Security Council, causing it all to mix up. Fortunately B&R were able to seperate the dust particles.

Almost.

The last scene has the 9 members re-integrated--but all speaking completely different languages from normal (Chinese ambassador speaking english with a british accent, american speaking russian, etc...)

God --I'm such a geek....

Actually --the Penguin had used the device on his minions and rehydrated them using heavy water --so there's this big battle sceene where B&R just touch the mooks and they disappear in a flash of light.

The end had some old guy sneezing on the dust of the 9 members of the Security Council, causing it all to mix up. Fortunately B&R were able to seperate the dust particles.

Almost.

The last scene has the 9 members integrated--but all speaking completely different languages from normal (Chinese ambassador speaking english with a british accent, american speaking russian, etc...)

God --I'm such a geek....

I only saw a bit of it while channelsurfing late at night. But I am thinking of the same movie, clearly.

MrP

Banned
He was the same one who got those surly working-class kids to calculate how many helium balloons it would take to hold someone up, then tested their calculations by tying them to one of them and pushing them off a building. On the Discovery Channel. In fact, bard probably saw it :D

Excellent! :D