WI - The American Bonaparte as President

Charles Joseph Bonaparte was the 37th Secretary of the Navy and 46th Attorney General of the United States and was the Grandnaphew of Napoleon I and cousin of Napoleon III. Well he never sought or achieved any form of higher office, what if in an alternate timeline, he did, seeking the Republican Nomination for Governor of Maryland and barely winning the state race in 1887 (a 3.5% swing from Ds to Rs could help him win the state). After serving a full term as Governor of Maryland (1888-1892), he becomes a major political figure in national politics and is thusly selected by McKinley to be his VP in 1896. Then McKinley gets assassinated on schedule, what is the effect of United States President Charles Bonaparte, especially on Catholicism and Progressivism in the United States?

Yeah, he was probably a little too early for a Catholic President. Hell, even JFK took jib about being Catholic. Shame he had no descendants, though. Imagine an American General Bonaparte in charge of Overlord instead of Eisenhower. :)

Yeah, he was probably a little too early for a Catholic President. Hell, even JFK took jib about being Catholic. Shame he had no descendants, though. Imagine an American General Bonaparte in charge of Overlord instead of Eisenhower. :)
I really want to make that a TL since I've had that TL brewing in my head some and he'd be the perfect guy to face Truman in 1948 rather than Dewey a second time, especially if he's a Progressive Conservative rather than a member of the old right or eastern establishment that couldn't stand one another.