WI: Texas secedes but doesn't join CSA?

Sicarius has a pretty good Independent Texas timeline. IIRC French support and internal politics (hilariously written, I might add) kept Texas out of the Union. When the civil war struck, Texas had gained recognition from France, and possibly Britain, and the US left them alone, even though they were running supplies into the south and getting rich off the smuggling operations. Didn't help the CSA much, but that wasn't the goal of the Texians in that TL.

When the people rise in masses in behalf of the Union and the liberties of their country, truly may it be said, "The gates of hell shall not prevail against them."
Abraham Lincoln was one foresighted person too, despite being a northerner. Maybe if the south had listened to him they would have spared themselves a lot of grief.

Seriously though, I think that if Texas secedes the U.S. will simply take it back after crushing the confederacy. During the war though, Texas might help the french in Mexico or might harbor Mexican rebels. Jefferson Davis might also be able to flee to this independent Texas, but I doubt it.

It's one thing for the Union to crush the Confederacy because they attacked Fort Sumter. But if Texas never attacks the Union in any way, they can't justify invading Texas and have no reason to "simply take it back".

It's one thing for the Union to crush the Confederacy because they attacked Fort Sumter. But if Texas never attacks the Union in any way, they can't justify invading Texas and have no reason to "simply take it back".

Lincoln's foremost policy was restoring the Union - all of it. And since the North doesn't acknowledge the legality of secession anyway, they're not taking it back, they're defeating a rebellion.