WI: Teodosio, Prince of Brazil survives

D. Teodósio was a very gifted young man. He knew Greek and Latin, was keen on philosophy and well respected amongst the great intellectuals of the time.

The Prince had a great interest in Astrology. He had a collection of charts of his family and made predictions on several political subjects. His astrological interests were encouraged and aided by his tutor, the Jesuit priest António Vieira. Under the tutelage of astrologers of the day, he composed many astrological charts.
What if this prince lives to succeed to the throne, and it's his brother Afonso who instead dies in 1653?
I wonder if a marriage of him to La Grande Mademoiselle can be possible or will it be considered impractical in view of peace talks with Spain?

King Theodosius I of Portugal...not something you see every day.

If a marriage to La Grande Mademoiselle is possible? That is also a very interesting question too... Anne Marie Louise d'Orleans was 7 years older than the once prince of Brazil. But here's the thing though, it wouldn't be considered impractical in view of peace talks simply because the OTL marriage of Maria Francisca de Savoie to King Afonso VI and later Pedro II was a result of Louis XIV's need for Portuguese support against their mutual enemy, Spain.

What it would mean is that, should the marriage happen, the vast wealth built up by the Montpensier branch of the House of Bourbon would now go to the House of Braganza. Such wealth at the expense of France could probably jump-start a revival of Portugal as a potential Great Power if need be.

the vast wealth built up by the Montpensier branch of the House of Bourbon would now go to the House of Braganza
Of course, there would be tradeoffs and limitations, like in TL of @Velasco where the Princess in question becomes queen of Spain, but a great deal of it, at the very least.

That also would mean that should the marriage for Infanta Catalina be arranged as OTL, there (probably) would be no need to include overseas territories in the dowry package to outbid the Spanish offer (with either Parmese or Danish girl, with Charles II free to pick which one he is more comfortable with).

If Theodosius I becomes King, then there would be little need for Afonso to be usurped from his position by the youngest brother, Pedro.

As for Catalina's situation, I dunno...you're still going to have to do a fair bit to try and swing England away from its anti-Catholic hysteria.

EDIT: Didn't expect there to be a Spanish offer though...who were his candidates from that front?

Last edited:
EDIT: Didn't expect there to be a Spanish offer though...who were his candidates from that front?
They put one Catholic proxy princess (Caterina Farnese) and two Protestant ones (Anne Sophie of Denmark and Erdmuthe Sophie of Saxony) - the last two in case Charles did not want/was unable to marry the Catholic. However, the Spaniards forgot the important thing Portuguese did not forget, that is bribing important politicians of English court, hense Portuguese candidate won.

They put one Catholic proxy princess (Caterina Farnese) and two Protestant ones (Anne Sophie of Denmark and Erdmuthe Sophie of Saxony) - the last two in case Charles did not want/was unable to marry the Catholic. However, the Spaniards forgot the important thing Portuguese did not forget, that is bribing important politicians of English court, hense Portuguese candidate won.

Wasn't there also the Spanish offer of the Dowager Empress (Eleonora Gonzaga the Younger) and Minette would wed Leopold I?

Wasn't there also the Spanish offer of the Dowager Empress (Eleonora Gonzaga the Younger) and Minette would wed Leopold I?
The offer of Dowager Empress was put aside in favor of Parmese princess, considered more preferable, and yes, there were one-off talks about Minette, though going nowhere.

But yeah, in any case, by the time of John IV's death in 1656, (which would coincide with Theodosius I's accession, peace with Spain was still pretty far off. A marriage to a French princess was imperative because Portugal sought a continental alliance with France, the only country that could have taken on Spain and won.

The English match between Charles II and Catarina de Bragança was partially instrumental in England intervening, and the later match with France would do so as well. Indeed, it is possible for France to intervene early (John IV probably preferred to do so while France was still at war with Spain.) but it would require that match to occur early (and it is possible, more so with Theodosius (who, had he lived, would be 22 upon his accession) rather than the still minor Afonso or Pedro who was 13 and 8 respectively upon their father's death)

The English match between Charles II and Catarina de Bragança was partially instrumental in England intervening, and the later match with France would do so as well. Indeed, it is possible for France to intervene early (John IV probably preferred to do so while France was still at war with Spain.) but it would require that match to occur early (and it is possible, more so with Theodosius (who, had he lived, would be 22 upon his accession) rather than the still minor Afonso or Pedro who was 13 and 8 respectively upon their father's death)
I was thinking for French match early at ascension, it seems it won't be facing the same objections as 1658 proposal of Savoyard match for Duchesse de Montpensier.

Theodosio I becomes the King in late 1656-early 1657. Anne Marie Louise d'Orleans was formally cleared from Fronde charges/readmitted to court in 1657. Seems like the marriage arrangement timeframe.
In fact, she WAS considered for Afonso OTL:
In 1663, Louis XIV again turned to Mademoiselle in order to arrange a match for his cousin. The intended bridegroom was Alfonso VI of Portugal, who acceded to the Portuguese throne in 1656.[49] The proud Mademoiselle ignored the idea, saying she would rather stay in France with her vast income and estates and that she did not want a husband who was rumoured to be alcoholic, impotent and paralytic.
Since it's 1658 and Theodosio has no issues that plagued his younger brother, the match can be arranged perfectly well.

I now wonder whether the 1658 match for Anne Marie Louise and Teodosio may derail the negotiations for Tuscany match for Marguerite Louise d'Orleans (in which La Grande Mademoiselle OTL was an important participant), so that she ends up in London of all places, while Grand Duke of Tuscany ends up married to OTL Duchesse de Guise (which would be a happy, if overly pious, marriage). The fate of Infanta Catalina TTL, though, is ambigious.

That's assuming France puts up an offer to have Marguerite Louise be wed to Charles II. Assuming that happens, it basically means that Portugal has no more geopolitical partners to want to align with.

Then again, she could be used to strengthen ties to France, Infanta Catarina was a proposed candidate for the Duc de Beaufort, François de Bourbon-Vendôme