WI Stalin tried to drain the Caspian Sea?

Yesterday, the blog Window on Eurasia linked to a Russian-language article reporting that Stalin wanted to drain the Caspian Sea, the better to exploit the offshore oil reserves of Azerbaijan. That the waters, particularly of the Volga, would be diverted to Central Asia to irrigate the Kazakhstani steppes was a bonus from Stalin's position.

In 1952, Stalin decided to intensify oil production in the Caspian. For this purpose, the leader came up with the Caspian Sea. Absolutely. Under the plan, the oxen of the Volga had to leave for North Kazakhstan. The Terek River would be diverted to the steppes of Kalmykia, and Kura would become dizzy. The Caspian Sea was then rescued by hydrologists, who explained to Stalin that even after doing all this, there would not be enough pumps to pump out atmospheric precipitation from the bottom of the reservoir.

Under the Soviet regime, many projects with a huge scope were conceived, which, if implemented, would lead to large-scale changes in nature and climate. Well-known plans for the turn of Siberian rivers to the south for the development of agriculture in Kazakhstan and Central Asia. But in 1952 an even more global project was considered - draining the bottom of the Caspian Sea with the goal of more convenient oil production.

Nikolai Baibakov, the then Minister of the Oil Industry of the USSR, mentioned this project in passing in the 1990s, and in 2016 in the published memoirs of the head of the KGB Ivan Serov a detailed story appeared about Stalin's plans ("Ivan Serov: Notes from a suitcase", publishing house "Enlightenment" ", 2016).

[. . .]

In 1949, the first in the USSR oil well in the open sea was drilled in the Caspian Sea 40 km from the shore. So began the creation of a city on steel piles, called "Oil Rocks". However, the construction of overpasses, which extend for many kilometers from the coast, was very expensive. In addition, their construction is possible only in shallow water. The Caspian was then the main territory of oil production in the USSR (the fields of Western Siberia had not yet been discovered). The question arose how to intensify oil production there. So, in 1952, the plan for the dehumidification of the Caspian Sea appeared. Ivan Serov wrote:

"After Volgodon, in view of the fact that Ryaznogo Abakumov took me to the office, deputy MGB of the USSR, I was instructed to manage the Hydroproject, which was headed by S.Ya. Zhuk S. (in 1952, Serov was the first deputy minister of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and simultaneously supervised the construction of the Volga-Don Canal - BT). One evening the Beetle came to me and said: "They are calling to Comrade Stalin with a map of the Caspian Sea." Well, I say: "Prepare a good map and go, and then report what directions will be."

At 2 o'clock in the morning Zhuk came back and reported: Comrade Stalin said that it was necessary to prepare proposals and calculations on how and when to dry the Caspian Sea. I look at him with surprised eyes, and he looks at me with a serious air. Then I found a voice and said: "Well, what did you say?" He replies: "I said it is possible, but I will calculate." True, Comrade Mikoyan spoke and told Comrade Stalin that we are losing the black caviar that we export to the world for the currency. Then Stalin strictly told Mikoyan that you are arguing with trading positions, we need oil.

At the same time it was said: the Volga is to be taken to the Kazakh steppes, the Kura is blocked, and on other rivers flowing into the Caspian Sea, to think what to do so that they do not fill the Caspian Sea. The deadline was two weeks.​

Obviously, this massive and environmentally calamitous geoengineering program did not come to pass. Even so, I wonder if there is a possibility that something like it could have happened, or at least started to happen: Look at what happened to the Aral Sea, sacrificed on the altar of all-Soviet economic achievements. (Then again, the Caspian is an international sea with Iran also having coastline. Then again, wouldn't Stalin's Soviet Union be willing to threaten Iran?) Completely draining the Caspian may be impossible, but substantially reducing its surface area may be imaginable, if you can find ways to redivert the rivers. Shifting the Volga to Kazakhstan may be impossible, for instance, but perhaps the Volga could be made to drain out via the Don, for instance. The northern third is particularly shallow, Wikipedia suggesting it has an average depth of five or six metres.

Caspian%20TDA%20Volume%20Two,%20July_html_m2144a06f.png

Given the political will, if the Volga and the Ural and other rivers were redirected, to Central Asia or elsewhere, I think it entirely possible to do serious damage to the Caspian. That considerable benefit might be provided by a well-watered Kazakhstan would make the task of fixing the Caspian Sea under any post-Stalinist regime politically difficult.

Thoughts?

Oooooo, I like. Even the beginning of this insanity would be environmentally catastrophic.
I wonder would this lead to an earlier start to the Soviet Nuclear Explosions for the National Economy programme?

trurle

Banned
Actually Soviets were considering adding water to Caspian sea after it went in sharp (and fortunately, transient) decline around 1970. Draining the sea which is already below sea level..sounds like madness even in 1952. If you need land on oil fields in shallow waters, artificial islands work just fine and for the fraction of the cost.
If Stalin would subscribe for such an insane idea, he will face plot and assassination within 6 months. Just as preventive measure - before he will produce one more insane (and may be much more destructive) idea. Like distributing Sr-90 powered electrical generators to every rural house.

Actually Soviets were considering adding water to Caspian sea after it went in sharp (and fortunately, transient) decline around 1970. Draining the sea which is already below sea level..sounds like madness even in 1952. If you need land on oil fields in shallow waters, artificial islands work just fine and for the fraction of the cost.
If Stalin would subscribe for such an insane idea, he will face plot and assassination within 6 months. Just as preventive measure - before he will produce one more insane (and may be much more destructive) idea. Like distributing Sr-90 powered electrical generators to every rural house.
True, but......Stalin.

Archibald

Banned
Would it screw the weather patterns over the soviet Union ? I mean, drought at some places, and torrential rains at others.

Insider

Banned
Would it screw the weather patterns over the soviet Union ? I mean, drought at some places, and torrential rains at others.
There would be torrential rains anywhere because of that. but yes, no doubt to that. Kazakhstan and Turkmen republics would dry up somewhat. Perhaps that would trigger a agriculture project to water the lost fields in the east with water of Syr-daria and Amu-daria, draining the Aral Sea, by proxy. Actually it would be more costly than any oil they get from the ground.

As with pretty much everything to do with meteorology, it's complicated.

The Caspian Sea is generally in water balance, intake from runoff and rainfall being balanced by outflow (into the Kara-Bogaz-Gol [or Garabogazköl if you prefer]) and evaporation. Now about 80% of that inflow is from the Volga (so stop that[1] and the sea ceases to be pretty rapidly). And about 95% of the water leaving the sea does so by evaporation.
  • There are over 130 rivers draining into the Caspian, most (all but eight really[3]) are irrelevant.
Now let's look at the evaporation. The Kara-Bogaz-Gol gulf is an interesting area to study. It's basically a lagoon, albeit a rather large one at around 18,000km²[4][5] and extremely salty (i.e. Dead Sea levels, good for salt mining [including mirabilite, halite and astrakhanite] but bad for vegetation). It undergoes about 1.5m of evaporation per year which means about 27 billion cubic metres (tonnes) of water are lost to the atmosphere. the Caspian itself doesn't lose as much (approximately 944mm/y) but it's about twenty times bigger, so that's another 350 billion tonnes). So removing the Caspian will significantly change rainfall patterns. How far will the effects go? I've no idea, predicting this sort of stuff is notoriously tricky and it's outside my area of expertise. I'm willing to say that Bad Things Will Happen.

Other long term effects from altering the Caspian sea include:
Altered drainage patterns, mostly from the eight rivers flowing into it which drain about 8,000km². Expect serious changes in flood patterns.
Heat sink. All that water, at a pretty steady temperature of 13°C stores a vast amount of thermal energy. Remove that and watch as the climate changes.
Also expect significant changes in wind patterns.

[1] As a lecturer of mine[2] was want to pronounce, the science is done. Now it's an engineering problem.
[2] He was a physicist.
[3] They'd be the Volga, Terek, Sulak, Samur, Kura, Ural, Atrek, and Sefidrud. The Ural supplies about 3% of the inflow.
[4] Seriously, what is the prejudice at this forum against sub/superscripts?
[5] In common units that's about 0.87 Waless, 1.5 Marylands or 12 Rhode Islands[6].
[6] Which isn't an island. Does this bug people as much as it does me? Seriously rename the state or dig a trench.

° ² ³

To say it would screw with weather patterns is an understatement. As @Catsmate points out, it's hard to say exactly what, but a fair guess would be a nastier version of what happened in the Aral Sea area.

Besides the incredible environmental damage amply described above, this would also take obscene quantities of money. The Volga is a huge river, and correcting its course would outweigh any benefits draining the Caspian or irrigating the Kazakh steppes might provide, as well as ignite an international crisis with Iran, which is probably gong to support the project privately but will almost certainly protest the idea of a foreign power draining a lake that isn't even entirely theirs. Combined, these factors might very well accelerate the fall of the USSR.

I had something opposite in mind. When the Nazis are south of Rostov, they decide to build a can through the Manuch depression. if thy had the time , the canal would flood the oilfields and make even less usable

Now let's look at the evaporation. The Kara-Bogaz-Gol gulf is an interesting area to study. It's basically a lagoon, albeit a rather large one at around 18,000km²[4][5] and extremely salty (i.e. Dead Sea levels, good for salt mining [including mirabilite, halite and astrakhanite] but bad for vegetation). It undergoes about 1.5m of evaporation per year which means about 27 billion cubic metres (tonnes) of water are lost to the atmosphere. the Caspian itself doesn't lose as much (approximately 944mm/y) but it's about twenty times bigger, so that's another 350 billion tonnes). So removing the Caspian will significantly change rainfall patterns. How far will the effects go? I've no idea, predicting this sort of stuff is notoriously tricky and it's outside my area of expertise. I'm willing to say that Bad Things Will Happen.

Other long term effects from altering the Caspian sea include:
Altered drainage patterns, mostly from the eight rivers flowing into it which drain about 8,000km². Expect serious changes in flood patterns.
Heat sink. All that water, at a pretty steady temperature of 13°C stores a vast amount of thermal energy. Remove that and watch as the climate changes.
Also expect significant changes in wind patterns.

[1] As a lecturer of mine[2] was want to pronounce, the science is done. Now it's an engineering problem.
[2] He was a physicist.
[3] They'd be the Volga, Terek, Sulak, Samur, Kura, Ural, Atrek, and Sefidrud. The Ural supplies about 3% of the inflow.
[5] In common units that's about 0.87 Waless, 1.5 Marylands or 12 Rhode Islands[6].
[6] Which isn't an island. Does this bug people as much as it does me? Seriously rename the state or dig a trench.

° ² ³
This is the verdant landscape southern shore of the Caspian sea, in Iran (the USSR wasn't the only country that touched this sea/lake). Unlike most of Iran, this mountainous region is apparently well watered and forested and is of national importance as well. Its rain comes from moisture derived from the Caspian and as such, it being drained or significantly lowered would utterly destroy this entire ecoregion and an absolutely gorgeous one at that.

13_Saving%20Hyrcanian%202.JPG

Last edited:
We really need laughing and angry emoticons on this site to go with the like button.

Congratulations Soviets, you officially exceeded my expectations and came up with something more ridiculous than your plan to milk whales.

This is the southern shore of the Caspian sea, in Iran (the USSR wasn 't the only country that touched this sea). Unlike most of Iran, this region is apparently well watered and forested. Its rain comes from moisture derived from the Caspian sea and as such, it being drained or significantly lowered would utterly destroy this entire ecoregion and an absolutely gorgeous one at that.

13_Saving%20Hyrcanian%202.JPG
I rather think the Iranians would object to the draining of the Caspian.

[2] He was a physicist.

° ² ³
1) I agree entirely that the board should embrace the beauty of the footnote. I mostly read and write in history and law, so maybe I'm biased, but a well done footnote is truly a thing of joy.

2) With respect to Rhode Island, it does actually make sense when you know the state's full name is "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations"! We just drop the "and Providence Plantations bit of it in virtually all usage. Basically, the colony was originally two colonies, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, that were eventually merged into one colony. Rhode Island was, shockingly, an actual island! The island is question is technically named Rhode Island, but generally known as Aquidneck Island to avoid confusion. Providence Plantations was the settlements on the mainland. Both colonies were established by separate groups of religious dissenters from Massachusetts who wanted to escape religious persecution from the authorities there. As such, both colonies had strong rules permitting freedom of religion. Eventually, they were combined into a single unit when they recieved a royal charter form Charles III in 1663. So there you go, more than you ever wanted too know about the hisotry and naming of Rhode Island!