WI: Southern Rhodesia joined South Africa in 1922

Deleted member 109224

In Rhodesia, while it wasn't as bad as Grand Apartheid, "qualified franchise" was another means of denying the black population the vote. There were financial, educational and property barriers to the vote. This was complicated by the Land Tenure Act, which allocated roughly the same amount of land to blacks and whites. Except the white population was 5% of the size of the black population and got all the best land.

In South Africa, something like this could be the basis for extending the South African franchise over time no?

I think it's possible that by the 1970s TTL anybody who owns enough property, served in the military, or graduated high school were to be eligible to vote or hold office in South Africa. In the face of the decolonization movement, there'd need to be cessions over time. By the 80s or 90s this could mean a transition to absolute majority rule.

In South Africa, something like this could be the basis for extending the South African franchise over time no?

I think it's possible that by the 1970s TTL anybody who owns enough property, served in the military, or graduated high school were to be eligible to vote or hold office in South Africa. In the face of the decolonization movement, there'd need to be cessions over time. By the 80s or 90s this could mean a transition to absolute majority rule.

The problem was that restricting the franchise was a feature, not a bug of the "qualified franchise" system. It was explicitly designed to prevent one person, one vote majority rule. The UDI was done because Britain said "no independence without majority rule".

The Rhodesian government also didn't start compromising until after the Portuguese colonies gained independence (thus depriving them of smuggling opportunities and giving the ZANU and ZAPU guerillas bases), and it was clear they were losing the Bush War.

elkarlo

Banned
I agree, but any move to a genuine hand over of power - or a race-free franchise at least - would be better than apartheid, no?
There is a point where apartheid became too rigid and not beneficial. By the 80s it was Def s crazy idea to try and continue it. But in 1970 did it look crazy? I don't know.

Europeans will be encouraged to migrate to this new South Africa (something discouraged by the Apartheid government which likely doesn't take office here) which likely mixes in economic requirements/educational minimums/military service for black inclusion. Expansion of the electorate will be slow.