WI South Africa joined the Bush War?

So, I am openly pretty ignorant on African history, but I've been putting myself through a crash course as of late and finding it fascinating. I pretty much have nothing constructive to say other than my question itself.

What if South Africa openly contributed troops to the Rhodesian Bush War?

I know SA sent uniforms, oil, and I believe ammo, but what if they openly sent in troops to bolster the Rhodesians?

I imagine that it might actually go completely out of control and cause a possible civil war within South Africa itself, or even some sort of pan-African war (shudders). I also imagine Britain and America being furious, what with their standing policies on Ian Smith's government at the time. This might be impossible, due to economic and political circumstances I am not educated on, but I thought it was an interesting question. :)

Ooh, and I also heard Israel helped out as well, furthering my concept of it spiraling way out of control.

Last edited:
There were South African troops in Rhodesia openly until 1976, operating under the guise of the South African Police. After 1976, Vorster pulled then out, at least officially, following an agreement with Kissinger. However, there were still South African forces secretly in Rhodesia right up until the time the British came prancing back in to hand the keys over to Mugabe, as was acknowledged by the South African government in 1979. These later deployments were much more limited in scope though, and really were just a way for South Africa to protect its interests in a country that was clearly degenerating into an untenable security situation by that point.

Now, if South Africa had actually deployed regular troops under the actual auspices of the SADF, then, I suspect you're right, the British (and after 1972ish, the Americans as well) would have been incredulous. It probably would have sped up the West's willingness to impose economic sanctions.

However, I don't think it would have actually impacted South Africa drastically. It certainly wouldn't really have impacted South Africa's internal stability, at least not in terms of any sort of internal backlash, which you seem to be alluding to. It would have been an escalation and possibly led the "friendly" black African governments to, at least outwardly, put on a much more condemnatory face (Banda in Malawi, Botswana, etc.). It also would probably have led the unfriendly black African states to be much more brazen about the already-open "secret" that they were hosting Mkhonto we Sizwe training camps (Zambia, Tanzania, Mozambique after 1976). This could, thereotically, have led to an escalation in cross-border operations by the SADF, but I somewhat doubt they'd be willing to risk further antagonizing the West.

As for how it would have affected the Rhodesian Bush War itself: that depends entirely on the scale of the South African commitment. The SADF would have been more than capable of restoring order in the country, but it would have required a massive troop commitment to do so. Which is why it didn't and wouldn't happen. South Africa needed those troops in Angola, because the situation in Angola had the potential to become very dangerous for the apartheid government.

No matter who is in power in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, at any time, South Africa will always have an economic chokehold, which means that even the most rabid Marxist can be contained. Everything that Rhodesia/Zimbabwe exports is going to pass on South African railways and through South African ports.. Angola is far less economically dependent on South Africa, and, thus, presented a far greater threat, because if Angola were to have stabilized under the MPLA, ANC and SWAPO operatives would have a free hand to strike South West Africa/Namibia, and, by extension, South Africa itself.

Last edited: