WI: Sir Francis Bacon has a son?

Francis Bacon (not the contemporary artist) was, until his financial disgrace, considered one of the leading statesmen of England, and following James I's accession, of Britain as a whole and also may have written shakespeare's works okay no he didn't.

In addition to generally being acknowledged as the father of the scientific method, he had a pretty good political career, serving in Parliament several times as well as the Star Chamber, eventually becoming the very first Queen's Counsel (to Elizabeth I), and even acting as temporary regent to James VI/I. Bacon was known for his reformist attitudes and advocated for the limitation of tyrannical power, and overall was highly respected until the scandals in his late career in which one of his patrons, the infamous George Villiers, left him high and dry, and he died before the Duke of Buckingham's downfall.

His love life wasn't exactly a stirring success either; he courted the 20 year-old widow Elizabeth Hatton only for her to marry his arch-nemesis, Sir Edward Coke, and he never really quite got over it. Later in life he married the 14 year-old Alice Barnham, but never had any children with her (and to be honest that's a pretty creepy age gap, although it must have been accepted in contemporary Stuart society) and so his titles of Baron Verulam and Viscount St. Albans lapsed.

So what if he has a son with Alice in, say, 1610 (for the sake of argument let's say he names him William after his influential uncle, William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley, mainly because I like the sound of "Bill Bacon"? :biggrin:) within whom he instills these values and generally is the same sort of good egg?

Certainly a Francis Bacon type might have eased some of the tensions between Charles I and Parliament - Bill Bacon would be about 30 years old at the OTL outbreak of Civil War, so that's plenty of time for him to build up his career - and there's no reason to assume that the 2nd Baron Verulam couldn't rebound from his father's disgrace after George Villiers bites it.

What sort of career could Bill Bacon have? Could he have been a strong mediating figure between Charles I and Parliament? Does the viscountcy of St. Albans continue? What if instead Francis Bacon successfully courts Elizabeth Hatton, with all the knock-on effects that entails?

I think the biggest issue is that it massively depends on what sort of person Bill is.
There's so many possibilities it's hard to work out the most likely.

I think the biggest issue is that it massively depends on what sort of person Bill is.
There's so many possibilities it's hard to work out the most likely.
Well, for the sake of argument let's not assume that he turns out to be a foppish layabout because that'd be sad and boring.

With a birthdate of 1610 this means that some of Francis Bacon's Essays (with the 1612 batch on the way), as well as The Advancement of Learning would already have been written, so we can assume that he would have a decent amount of time to inculcate Bill with his theories of natural philosophy and jurisprudence. We don't know much about his mother, Alice Barnham, except that she was characterised as being extravagant and a spendthrift with Francis Bacon's money (until it ran out), it's entirely possible that she might become a bit more frugal with a child to raise, or maybe not.

For the sake of argument, let's say that events remain mostly unchanged until 1628, with Francis in the ground two years and John Felton having had enough with the Duke of Buckingham's shit. Bill Bacon would be 18 at the time, and coincidentally also achieved majority about then so he'd have inherited the estates (and debts) of the Barons Verulam and Viscount St. Albans.

This gives about 12 or so years between then and the period of time Charles I would've gotten really overbearing. Is this enough time for him to rise to the former prominence of his father? Would the application of Francis Bacon's theories on the balance of power have helped with the tensions between King and Parliament, to the extent of preventing or delaying the English Civil War and the Wars of the Three Kingdoms?

Would the poorer less prominent Bacon have been listened to?
I'm of the opinion that before the W3K not much would have happened differently but that the Restoration could be different. The retitled Bacon now gets to say "this wouldn't have happened if we'd followed my father's ideas".