WI: September 11 attacks occur in 1981?

What if, instead of the horrific September 11 attacks that has changed United States history forever in 2001, had occured in 1981? And if so, who would be behind the attack? How will the Reagan Administration act upon it? How will it affect the Cold War?

It would have caused more than that, if it was sponsored by the Soviet Union it would likely be met with a war declaration, and thus the 3rd world war.
I don't think (especially if it's a Islamic terrorist organization who does said attacks) would be sponsored by the Soviet Union, it seems very implausible.

It would have caused more than that, if it was sponsored by the Soviet Union it would likely be met with a war declaration, and thus the 3rd world war.
The best the world can hope for is that the finger gets pointed at Libya or Iran almost immediately otherwise the chance of something unfortunate happening is huge. If they had nothing to do with it the USSR will be looking for who did it just as hard as the US. If the USSR had something to do with it they'll have a ready patsy set up to take the fall, and whoever authorised their involvement will be shot. Tensions will be incredible and the so called nuclear countdown to doomsday will be at T - 30 seconds rather than where it was at the time (roughly T - 5 minutes). Everything would be on a hair trigger and one mistake and the missiles fly.

I would consider it unlikely for the attack to be done in that manner by anyone other than Islamic fanatics. The perpetrators of 9/11 (20 people, and possibly more teams that didn't get to act) were all planning on suicide. That takes a cartain mentality, and I can't think of any other ideology that would generate that many fanatics, ALL eager to die. That doesn't mean that they can't be someone else's patsy's. Suicide bombing was also new then, compared to routine now.
Note that, when I was writing a massive terrorist attack in April of 1980, I chose a method that required either one or no suicide attackers.
I'm watching this thread with interest for ideas for The Masquerade.

Dolan

Banned
If Afghanistan Mujahideen pullled 911 on 1981 then expect US to actually dropped supporting Afghan mujahideen immediately and give Soviet Union a carte blanche to do whatever they wanted there. While invading Iran and Supporting Saddam to ensure that there will be no more Harcore Islamists like that.

Would be a pretty good Propaganda for Soviets though, to attack Religion as the source of madness and thus, "Opiates of The People".

If Afghanistan Mujahideen pullled 911 on 1981 then expect US to actually dropped supporting Afghan mujahideen immediately and give Soviet Union a carte blanche to do whatever they wanted there. While invading Iran and Supporting Saddam to ensure that there will be no more Harcore Islamists like that.

Would be a pretty good Propaganda for Soviets though, to attack Religion as the source of madness and thus, "Opiates of The People".
Propaganda victory for the Soviets, absolutely.

What if its not an islamic terrorist organization? Who else could do it?
Well, P. Escobar though not political, but indeed that insane and ruthless enough, could have done it... Cause even if IOTL, he lacked the motivation and/or wasn't crazy nor angry enough... But he would have had the organization and the money neither could have had any of an obstacle for him...

Starforce

Banned
Argentine Airlines flight 342 nearly hit the North Tower in February 1981 due to pilot error.

Really? I never heard of that.

That would be interesting, having it happen 20 years earlier like that. I wonder how the USSR would react to the attack itself.