WI: Senator Orson Welles

According to a biography of Orson Welles, he had been interested in pursuing a political career. While he contemplated running for the U.S. Senate from California, he also considered running for the U.S. Senate in his home state of Wisconsin, which I believe is the far more interesting alternative.

He had seriously considered entering the race in 1946 as a Democrat, which would have put him up against the eventual Republican nominee, Joseph McCarthy.

Do you think Welles would have beaten McCarthy? Welles had plenty of affairs over his lifetime, and if any of that came out, I could see it seriously hindering his ability to win.

If he did win, what effect would this have on the Senate? Obviously, this would butterfly McCarthyism, but would it prevent the Second Red Scare altogether? The conditions at the time were certainly encouraging someone like McCarthy to step up, but I don't know if there was someone else in the Senate at the time who would do something similar. In addition, Welles was a pretty progressive politician, and he heavily criticized Jim Crow laws and racism in general. Would his presence in the Senate have an affect on Civil Rights legislation?

In addition, at the time he would have been running, he would have only finished Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, and The Stranger. What would be the cultural butterflies that would result from his election, or his failure to be elected?

Last edited:
In the 1946 Republican wave election?

I think you would need to put him up against Robert La Follette, with Robert only having won a very narrow victory against McCarthy and having been politically scarred by McCarthy's many accusations. I just don't see Welles beating McCarthy in that election considering he would have to make up what became a 25 point deficit, at least without pushing boundaries.

I think you would need to put him up against Robert La Follette, with Robert only having won a very narrow victory against McCarthy and having been politically scarred by McCarthy's many accusations. I just don't see Welles beating McCarthy in that election considering he would have to make up what became a 25 point deficit, at least without pushing boundaries.

First off, I find it incredibly amusing that Tammy Baldwin has Joseph McCarthy's seat.

How about...Orson Welles announces in 1946 for the Wisconsin Senate seat. Conservatives, not pleased with La Follette, return to him seeing him as the better shot against the Hollywood liberal Welles. LaFollette is re-elected, but the margin is surprisingly close. Welles is asked to stick around and shoot for the seat in 1950.

1950 sees Joseph McCarthy once again try to unseat Alexander Wiley for the Republican nomination, pulling out some of the dirty tricks he pulled out in the last campaign. Conservatives back McCarthy this time, edging him into the nomination. La Follette, still angry over 46, refuses to support McCarthy allowing Democrat Orson Welles to win the election.

Welles victory would be one shining spot for the Democrats in a midterm that had left the Democrats bruised, and with slight control over the Senate.

The Democratic organization in Wisconsin was only just starting to build itself up at this point. Remember, that the state didn't elect a Democratic Senator until the special election to fill McCarthy's seat 11 years later, and that was after a very devisive and contentious Republican primary.
In 1946? The Democrats actually worked to undermine LaFollette at every turn, because it was thought that he would be the stronger candidate and would reach into the base the Democrats were trying to build up.
Orson Wells would bring in some celeberty star appeal, but he has no political presense in the state, and the Democratic machine was laughably weak still. It would be closer than the OTL election, but LaFollette wins, handedly. If its Wells v McCarthy, I still think McCarthy wins.

The Democratic organization in Wisconsin was only just starting to build itself up at this point. Remember, that the state didn't elect a Democratic Senator until the special election to fill McCarthy's seat 11 years later, and that was after a very devisive and contentious Republican primary.
In 1946? The Democrats actually worked to undermine LaFollette at every turn, because it was thought that he would be the stronger candidate and would reach into the base the Democrats were trying to build up.
Orson Wells would bring in some celeberty star appeal, but he has no political presense in the state, and the Democratic machine was laughably weak still. It would be closer than the OTL election, but LaFollette wins, handedly. If its Wells v McCarthy, I still think McCarthy wins.

That's basically why I gave Welles 4 years to turn things around. OTL Alexander Wiley was re-elected 53.3 - 46.2. Give him a rough primary featuring one 1946 defeated Joe McCarthy and a popular and supported Orson Welles for the general.

Obviously, this would butterfly McCarthyism, but would it prevent the Second Red Scare altogether?
Not at all. A certain Californian was furious that McCarthy hit a home run and became Anticommunist #1, since the Hiss trial was used as buildup. McCarthy stole Nixon's gig.

Not at all. A certain Californian was furious that McCarthy hit a home run and became Anticommunist #1, since the Hiss trial was used as buildup. McCarthy stole Nixon's gig.

If a Welles campaign prevents McCarthy from taking office, and Nixon ends up starting the Second Red Scare, will Nixon end up similarly disgraced? Or would Nixon avoid the McCarthyist witch hunts?

I'm sorry that I'm a little ignorant in regards to this.

If a Welles campaign prevents McCarthy from taking office, and Nixon ends up starting the Second Red Scare, will Nixon end up similarly disgraced? Or would Nixon avoid the McCarthyist witch hunts?

I'm sorry that I'm a little ignorant in regards to this.

I really don't see Nixon taking part in witch hunts persey. In fact, while a member of HUAC, he generally worked to distance himself from the more rabid, and less fact-based, members of the committee. In the Hiss case, he acted only after he was sure he had credible evidence from several sources (which turned out to be incorrect; he had information from one source; but there was an echo-chamber effect of sorts going on, with several people bringing the same accusations). He did slip up from time to time, but he was certainly no McCarthy (now, a certain Congressman, and later Senator, from South Dakota might be a better choice).