WI Scotland Got Out Of The Group Stage At Euro 96?

When it comes to international football tournaments, it is no secret that Scotland hold a terrible and unwanted record of failing to get out of the group stage and becoming something of a joke. But back at Euro 96 for just 16 minutes, with a little help from England, Scotland came close to making it into the knockout phase.

Scotland had to beat Switzerland by 2 goals while England had beat Holland by 3 clean goals, England helped by scoring 4 and only towards the end Seaman failed to save a consolation goal for the Dutch and Scotland failed to add to their lead. So what if Seaman had saved, Scotland scored a second or both had happened to help Scotland go into the next round, how would they get on in Knockout football and what would the reaction be like?

Would they get put out by France in the Quarter finals or, dare I say it, make it to the final at Wembley?

What if indeed...

Deleted member 94680

They would never make it to the final surely? If they had to rely on luck to get out of the group stage, that doesn’t bode well for knockout football.

Anyway, we all know Seaman let that goal in on purpose...

They'd have met France in the QF. IOTL the French knocked out the Netherlands after a pretty poor 0-0 at Anfield, then went out to the Czechs after an even worse 0-0 at Old Trafford.

The 1996 European Championships had about the dullest football I can remember over the course of a tournament. England and Germany at least tried to win their games.

It's not impossible that Scotland could have got past France and the Czechs, but I think Germany would have beaten them in the final.

It's not impossible that Scotland could have got past France and the Czechs, but I think Germany would have beaten them in the final.

Indeed, the Scots didn't do too bad at this tournament with them playing steady against the Dutch, dominating the English during a lot of that game and absolutely hammering the Swiss in a game they should have scored more in.

That all said, if Scotland had gotten to the Semi's and somehow got into the final, would that perhaps encourage England (playing in the other Semi later that day) to play better against Germany to meet Scotland in the final? Maybe it sounds ASB but still, it isn't that far off in some areas.

Devvy

Donor
The only football I remember of 96 was Gazza’s goal against the Scots, and Pearce’s penalty. Not exactly enthralling for the rest of the tournament.

If Scotland scrape through, I think they get defeated by the French. Butterflies might make Scottish football a little higher quality in future though....maybe? Without trying to be an English arsehole, Scottish (international) football could hardly have a worse track record.

Simple. If Scotland ever get out of the group stage of a major tournament, the fabric of the universe will tear itself apart.