WI Roman capital was moved after the Great Fire?

Hi.

After the Great Fire of Rome, Nero did everything he could to help survivors, and decided to rebuild the capital. This costed alot, and thus, eventually he began ordering insane tax policies and he even began robbing temples due to shortage of resources and currency for the buildings.

What if he decided it'd cost too much effort and faith from the people, and decided to move the capital to for example Neapolis or Mediolanum or Capua?

It'd definitely cost alot less lives and the economy of the Empire wouldn't decrease as it did during Nero's reign in OTL.

And would Nero still become the psychopath he became in OTL (he, just to name one example, killed his pregnant wife in a furious rage :eek:)

Really? I understand that Nero set the fire on purpose so he could build himself a new palace.

That's most likely baseless slander. He planned to build the palace after the fire, but arson really doesn't fit his style.

That said, moving the capital is very unlikely to happen. AFAIR the last time that was seriously contemplated was after the Celtic invasion, after that it just became a literary trope. There'd certainly be a great deal of resistance if a plan like that was mooted. Keep in mind that historians routinely ascribe plans to tamper with Rome to 'bad' emperors. It looks like it was something of a stock accusation, a second-century version of 'soft on terrorists' or 'tax-and-spend'.

This is also the ROMAN Empire, not a Latin one or...

Being a citizen of the CITY was what Roman citizenship was (in this time period), so I really don't think it's feasible at all.

A couple of hundred years later? sure (happened, in fact). Nero's time, I really, really doubt it.

Thanks for the replies!

Still, many senate members tried to convince Nero to change the capital...

But my question isn't exactly how it happens, but what if it happens? I mean, i know it'd likely require another POD, but i'm not focusing on what that is, but what the effects will be. ;)

So, the POD shall be... What if Nero, turning insane earlier than in OTL, moves the capital to another important city?

Would Rome be left alone for as long as the empire stands? Would the whole population of Rome migrate to the new city, or would they instead seek homes in colonies? Would some citizens stay in Rome, not wanting to leave their homes? :confused: