WI: Robert Plant Doesn't Have a Car Crash in

I may possibly might take this up as a TL.

The decline of Led Zeppelin in the late 1970s can largely be traced to August of 1975, when Robert Plant, the vocalist of the group, was very nearly killled in a nasty car accident in Greece. The six albums the band had released up until that point (Led Zeppelin I-IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti) had all been massive hits; rock critics everywhere, originally dismissive of the band, were finally giving them some credit; and, perhaps most importantly, all of the band members were making massive amounts of money.

That all changed after Plant's accident. He wouldn't fully recover until the late '70s; the band's next album, Presence, was a chore to make (it was here that Jimmy Page got hooked on heroine, an addiction that would hamper his playing well past Zep's collapse) and received lukewarm reviews at best. After a prolonged absence and a couple of generally unspectacular tours, LZ came out with In Through the Out Door, a return to their traditional "Sixteen Genres in Fourteen Songs" album style. The band seemed poised for some kind of comeback, but then John Bonham up and died, leaving Zeppelin to disband behind him.

So, what if Plant avoids the fateful accident? The whole dynamic of the situation is changed; they've just come off what may have been their greatest live performance, they're preparing for a North America tour, and best of all their lead guitarist isn't spending most of his time high out of his mind. What happens next?

I think they had run out of ideas at that point. The decline was caused by that not by the car accident.

As to the rather lame In Through The Outdoor, I think Brock Sampson summed up this effort best, "Zep sold out on that one."

About the same time The Clash were releasing London Calling and The Talking Heads were releasing Fear of Music, Led Zeppelin was releasing warmed up left overs.

Might be better to have them split up at this point and each go their separate ways for a while. We'd still get great music from whatever bands or projects they formed, and they would be leaving on good terms, so a reunion and subsequent albums and tours would be possible.