WI:Robert E Howard lived into his 90's

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
What if Robert E Howard was able to resolve his issued with depression and lived into the 1990’s. What direction do you think his writing would have gone in? I know in his later years he was moving away from his sword and sorcery stories and favor of western themed works. Do you think he would have abandoned fantasy completely? I know he had correspondences going with Lovecraft. Do you think he would have continued this with other writers after Lovecraft’s death? What would he have made of the Lord of The Rings? Would he have started a correspondence with Tolkien? I know Tolkien said he was “rather fond of the Conan stories” would some sort of cross pollination have been possible.

He would have never allowed his movies to have been made without his direct coordination.

Most likely would have fallen into the Western genre, and moved back into fantasy with elder age. He was not a very static person was he?

Result: Conan is taken as a more serious character, rather than just being known for being played by Arnold S.

And books considering the West become somewhat more popular. Though I personally find them boring.

Hmmm, would you also have a greater popularity of the likes of Solomon kane, or some sorta similar Conan-style character transplanted into a Western setting ?

also, what of Howard's racial views ? Would he have become poss a racist demagogue, or influence for same such, thru his future writings ?

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
IIRC his racial views were not as extreme as many of his contemporaries. He may have become less and less racist as the years progressed. Of course I could be wrong.

The Lord of the Rings? Probably just a lot more for kids and big brains who delve into the fantasy genre with a passion. Conan would be more for those guys that love to read about hot women and violence.

Even if Howard was racist, how would one writer influence American culture that greatly? I swear every time someone says, "What if General McBlabbermouth had lived?" Everyone else says, "Well there would be alot more racism in the United States." I see this often.

There is no evidence of racism in his writings expect for the word Negro, which was socially acceptable at the time.