WI:Queen Elizabeth II assassination

I was reading the Wikipedia page of Queen Elizabeth, and when I came across reading her trip to Canada, apparently the Québec Separation movement was plotting her assassination. "Before her tour through parts of Quebec in 1964, the press reported that extremists within the Quebec separatist movement were plotting Elizabeth's assassination". (From Wikipedia). Now Obviously this is Wikipedia and their not exactly reliable for information. However, what would have happened if she did get killed? Would the Quebec Separation movement die down earlier?

Bumping to generate more discussion. I also agree with the posts above that the separation movement would die down.

Cook

Banned
Why him? Why not the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles' father? Or even Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother?
Oh sorry, I assumed Phil was done in alongside the Queen. If he’s alive I would expect it would be Philip as the late Queen’s consort, otherwise the Duke. Why Phil and the duke ahead of the Queen Mum? Because Bro's before Ho's was how the royal linage worked until very recently.

Narnia

Banned
This would be terrible. My countries reputation would be in the toilet for a very long time. I imagine we would bring the hammer down hard on whatever terrorist group did the deed, and likely all separatist groups in general.

I can see Quebec being put under martial law. I could see support for separatism evaporating in more conservative areas of Quebec. I can see Ontario and the West turning against Quebec so badly as to imperil bilingualism, and I don't think Pierre Trudeau would stand a ghost of a chance of gaining the Liberal leadership nomination even three years later. It would be Canada's 9/11.

I can see Quebec being put under martial law. I could see support for separatism evaporating in more conservative areas of Quebec. I can see Ontario and the West turning against Quebec so badly as to imperil bilingualism, and I don't think Pierre Trudeau would stand a ghost of a chance of gaining the Liberal leadership nomination even three years later. It would be Canada's 9/11.
Such a reaction would probably end up making Quebec's separation from the Rest of Canada more likely, no?

Such a reaction would probably end up making Quebec's separation from the Rest of Canada more likely, no?

With secessionists associated in popular consciousness as terrorists, and with the Federal Government cracking down hard on them or anyone with sympathies, I would think not.

I agree. Also there is the fact that Charles becomes king at the age of 16.

in title perhaps, but with a couple of years of Regency - the obvious Regents being an and/or combination of the Queen Mother (as Dowager Queen) and Prince Philip ( as Charles' father)

Oh sorry, I assumed Phil was done in alongside the Queen. If he’s alive I would expect it would be Philip as the late Queen’s consort, otherwise the Duke. Why Phil and the duke ahead of the Queen Mum? Because Bro's before Ho's was how the royal linage worked until very recently.

in title perhaps, but with a couple of years of Regency - the obvious Regents being an and/or combination of the Queen Mother (as Dowager Queen) and Prince Philip ( as Charles' father)

The Regency can be easily determined, as it was determined by formula under the Regency Acts as they stood at that time. The Regency Act 1953 authorized Prince Philip to act as regent for any of his own children by the Queen in the event of her early demise. If Philip had also died, the Regency Acts explicitly assign the regency to the next person over 18 (as of the 1953 Act) in the line of succession - Princess Margaret. Just as, today, if, somehow, the Queen, Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge all dropped dead suddenly, the regency would fall to Prince Henry of Wales under the provisions of the Acts.

Asami

Banned
The Regency can be easily determined, as it was determined by formula under the Regency Acts as they stood at that time. The Regency Act 1953 authorized Prince Philip to act as regent for any of his own children by the Queen in the event of her early demise. If Philip had also died, the Regency Acts explicitly assign the regency to the next person over 18 (as of the 1953 Act) in the line of succession - Princess Margaret. Just as, today, if, somehow, the Queen, Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge all dropped dead suddenly, the regency would fall to Prince Henry of Wales under the provisions of the Acts.

...As regent of a <1 year old King of Great Britain... oh my...

Why on earth are people talking about a broad irrelevance ITTL? The effects on Canada would be infinitely more profound and political than they would be on Britain.