• Yes

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The loss of presidential candidate George Stanley McGovern to incumbent President Richard Milhous Nixon during the 1972 United States presidential election remains one of the most embarrassing defeats of any presidential candidate to this date, and the margin of victory for President Nixon was only overcome in 1984, with President Ronald Wilson Reagan earning reelection 525 to 13, earning 5 more Electoral College votes than Nixon had. Though it was not an instant career ending loss, and McGovern was reelected as the Senator of South Dakota in 1974, he would lose 1980 to Republican Ellis James Abdnor, being amongst the last three Democratic federal officeholders from South Dakota, the other two being Tim Johnson and Tom Daschle.

Not to mention, the embarrassment would follow McGovern for some time, even during his retirement from federal office. That is not to say he was not involved politically, and he would go on to found his own group, the Americans for Common Sense, as well as attempting to run for President for a third time in 1984. He did not seek to win, instead running to spread his views amongst the voters of the Democratic Party, and he dropped out after the Massachusetts primary, where he came third next to Gary Warren Hart and former Vice President Walter Frederick Mondale. His name was once more put into contention at the convention, McGovern delivering a scathing condemnation of President Reagan, and later gaining the votes of four delegates. He would campaign for Mondale during the election, though the former Vice President lost in a landslide to Reagan as mentioned previously.

Now, looking beyond what happened historically, what if McGovern had become President of the United States? How does he do it? Is he able to win outright by some miraculous grace, or does he become President through a contingent election? As well, when does he become President? When does he have the best chance and how could we improve those chances? Is it possible at all for him to be President? I am sure the idea has been done before here on the forum, though I seek to explore it with my own unique touch to it, and to explore the idea with a focused timeline.

Yeah, it’s possible for McGovern to be president. Maybe he sits out 1972 and then decides to run in 1976, or he’s the vice president and the president dies leaving McGovern to take the role of president.

Yeah, it’s possible for McGovern to be president. Maybe he sits out 1972 and then decides to run in 1976, or he’s the vice president and the president dies leaving McGovern to take the role of president.
Who do you reckon would be the nominee in 1972, that would set up McGovern for a 1976 victory? Though assuming Watergate still occurs, McGovern has a good opportunity as is since the public was dismayed about the actions of Nixon.

IMO, McGovern's best chance to the Presidency is probably through the Vice Presidency. 1976 would be difficult for him --the old New Deal liberals distrusted him over his opposition to Vietnam, and in the general election, there's no way he would get the Southern support that Carter had to win. He would probably do better in the North and could win over states like Illinois, Michigan, Connecticut, and New Jersey that Carter lost OTL, but that wouldn't be enough to balance out the loss of the South. I could see him getting the VP nomination in 1976, at which point, all that's needed is for something to happen to Carter.

Really any Democrat. Doesn’t matter who because the end goal is to have Nixon win in ‘72 and then resign in ‘74.
Yeah Hubert Humphrey is probably the one here who takes it if not McGovern.

IMO, McGovern's best chance to the Presidency is probably through the Vice Presidency. 1976 would be difficult for him --the old New Deal liberals distrusted him over his opposition to Vietnam, and in the general election, there's no way he would get the Southern support that Carter had to win. He would probably do better in the North and could win over states like Illinois, Michigan, Connecticut, and New Jersey that Carter lost OTL, but that wouldn't be enough to balance out the loss of the South. I could see him getting the VP nomination in 1976, at which point, all that's needed is for something to happen to Carter.
McGovern could win the nomination in 76 though yes it would be a tad difficult I still think he could win the nod, also Jimmy Carter could potentially be McGovern's VP to balance the ticket and thus campaign for McGovern in the south and while yes he does probably lose some states in the south it's most likely not enough to lose the general election.

McGovern could have won, even in 1972. There is of course the wonderful TL McGoverning, which I really recommend. But I think if he sits out 1972, his chances are better. The economy developed in Nixon's favor, and McGovern's campaign was a trainwreck. If he didn't destroy his campaign, he would certainly not being beat up so bad. He could very well (as others said) run in 1976 with a "I told you he's a crook!"-campaign and if he gets better at coalition building, he could make it.