WI: President Al Gore (1993-2001)

What if instead of Bill Clinton, his VP Al Gore was president during the 1990s? With the PoD presumably being that his son doesn’t get involved in a car accident. What would happen? What would be different? Who would be his running mate? Who would be in his cabinet? How well would his presidency go down?

What if instead of Bill Clinton, his VP Al Gore was president during the 1990s? With the PoD presumably being that his son doesn’t get involved in a car accident. What would happen? What would be different? Who would be his running mate? Who would be in his cabinet? How well would his presidency go down?
I think Bob Graham or maybe an experienced hand like John Glenn would be his running mate. You wouldn't see the impeachment scandal obviously, and I think instead of healthcare reform he'll try for an infrastructure bill that funds science and tech such as green energy, which might be more passable at this point in time. I also tend to believe that Gore in 1992 would be less polarizing than Clinton was OTL for various reasons and you could see the south remain swingy with the possible exception of places in Appalachia hurt by energy regulations. I think you'd still see the GOP's fight over abortion in 96 with Dole as the nominee, but you could see Ann Richards beat Bush in 94 with less polarization, and that could have knock-on effects for the GOP primary in 2000, when without a relatively experienced Bush son governor as a candidate, John McCain could win the primary. Also you could see New England remain Republican-leaning.

Deleted member 145219

Gore would be seen as a serious candidate from early on. Combined with his relatively clean personal life, Perot might not catch on or even run in these circumstances. Gore, as Senator, voted in favor of the Gulf War, that might help his credentials on foreign policy. Definitely more focus on Infrastructure, Energy, Science and Technology.

Apparently the only reason Gore didn't run for president in '92 was because his son was recovering from a car accident. Get rid of that accident and I can see Gore possibly make a run for it.

I wonder what the equivalent of “Al Gore wins in 2000” alternate history timeline names would be ITTL, assuming that somehow the Republicans still win in 2000.

Kerry On?

Biden Time for a New Era?

Dawn of Clinton?

I wonder what the equivalent of “Al Gore wins in 2000” alternate history timeline names would be ITTL, assuming that somehow the Republicans still win in 2000.

Kerry On?

Dawn of Clinton?
Very interesting maybe Kerry or Biden pull a Nixon and run in 08?

Kerry On?

Dawn of Clinton?

I think Gore avoids the Lewinsky scandal (of course) and doesn’t give the GOP an excuse to go for their pound of flesh, and if things go in the 90s like they did OTL (strong economy, dot-com boom) then Gore’s successor, whoever that may be, probably ekes out a win in 2000 and Dubya ends up fading away. Odds are McCain wins in for the GOP next, be it in 2004 or 2008, party fatigue being what it is.

I think Clinton becomes a lifer in the House (according to his memoir, running for Congress was a distinct possibility) and we never hear of Hillary except maybe as a strategist, and if Obama goes all the way, it’s after McCain.