WI: Pop Culture in a world without 9/11?

How could cartoons be affected by 9/11? How did the shadow of 9/11 influence cartoons?
It made people pretty sensitive about showing American cities get destroyed in cartoons, for obvious reasons, as well as terrorism plotlines in general, but other then that I'm not sure it really directly affected them very much.

I remember people saying that while 9/11 may have exacerbated the real estate bubble that did emerge, the roots for the Great Recession were years and decades in the making, with several things, like economic deregulation, the very low interest rates of the 2000s, the rising cost of commodities like oil, deindustrialization and economic inequality, the 2001 recession, and excessive financialization. So even without a 9/11, some kind of bubble would form."
Pretty much yeah. I really don't think no 9/11 would change anything in that regard.

Maybe the economy would crash around 2009? Imagine that happening at the same time as a massive terrorist attack. The cultural shock would be hard to overestimate.
No, the crash happened when it did because that was the date a lot of the bad mortgages came due. There's a movie called The Big Short with Christian Bale that does a really great job of explaining exactly how the whole thing happened, I'd highly recommend it if you are curious.

No, the crash happened when it did because that was the date a lot of the bad mortgages came due. There's a movie called The Big Short with Christian Bale that does a really great job of explaining exactly how the whole thing happened, I'd highly recommend it if you are curious.

But without 9/11, would the crash be put off by a couple of years? Or would it still have happened around 2008?

My big question is this: what would be the pop culture effects of a 9/11-style attack later in the decade, say around 2007-2008? Then, in the same year the attack happened, the Great Recession struck America when it was already down.

How would American culture evolve when you have both a serious terrorist attack and the economy collapsing, hitting America at the same time? Basically, Pearl Harbor and the Crash of 1929 happen at the same time.

Would the 90s and 2000s be seen as a broader period of "American peace" that came to an even more shattering and sudden end?
There's a scenario where 9/11 happens exactly five years from the OTL date.

So if memory serves, somehow George W. Bush manages to win a second vote in 2004 since 9/11 happening in 2006 would eventually result in an American invasion of Pakistan by 2008.

There's a scenario where 9/11 happens exactly five years from the OTL date.

So if memory serves, somehow George W. Bush manages to win a second vote in 2004 since 9/11 happening in 2006 would eventually result in an American invasion of Pakistan by 2008.
Did the TL explore the culture of the early 2000s? Would the cultural tropes of the 90s lasted a little longer?

Did the TL explore the culture of the early 2000s? Would the cultural tropes of the 90s lasted a little longer?
It's been a while since I've read that timeline. I don't recall it explored the pop-culture of the 90s extending way to the mid-2000s.

But it can be assumed the pop-culture scene for September 11, 2006 is mostly unrecognizable from our perspective. Consider that Bush manages to get reelected in 2004 when most people predicted he would just be like his father as a possible one-termer.

The butterflies are interesting here.

I think there was a genre of film that might still be popular without 9/11: movies featuring normal suburban kids whose worst enemies were adults who acted like cartoon villains. One name for this genre is "kid empowerment." But here are some examples.

1. The Home Alone series.
2. The Problem Child series.
3. The 3 Ninjas series (produced by Shin Sang-ok, Kim Jong-il's hostage director, of all people)
4. Matilda.
5. The Dennis the Menace that features Walter Matthau.
6. Newsies, which combined this kind of thing with historical period pieces.
7. Snow Day.

To me, Max Keeble's Big Move and Big Fat Liar are the last dregs of this kind of movie, and it's not a coincidence they came out in the aftermath of 9/11. The former aired a month after the attacks, while the latter came out in February 2002. Both of them feel like refugees of a bygone era since they were produced in the 90s-ish cultural time period.

Also, I am going to throw in Fairly Oddparents, as the first Oh Yeah Cartoon premiered in 1998, and its first official episode aired in March of 2001, six months before 9/11. I consider FOP to be a de facto 90s cartoon of a similar milieu when the great enemy for many kids was affluent neglect and a mean babysitter (also, smartphones mean that it is harder to act like Vicky when your actions are easier to record. The character Vicky is very 1990s since she represents the kind of bullying that existed pre-Digital Revolution)

I think these kinds of movies were kid versions of movies like Fight Club, created in a time when a historical threat didn't seem to exist and our great enemy was a sense of boredom without some domestic threat to keep us on our toes.

I am guessing without 9/11, we'd see more movies where kids defeat the evil adults around them.

Also, I am going to throw in Fairly Oddparents, as the first Oh Yeah Cartoon premiered in 1998, and its first official episode aired in March of 2001, six months before 9/11. I consider FOP to be a de facto 90s cartoon of a similar milieu when the great enemy for many kids was affluent neglect and a mean babysitter (also, smartphones mean that it is harder to act like Vicky when your actions are easier to record. The character Vicky is very 1990s since she represents the kind of bullying that existed pre-Digital Revolution)
As a longtime fan of the show I don't disagree here. (see username)

Most pre-9/11 shows do have a 90s feels in them. One example is Samurai Jack (which aired a month before 9/11) and Time Squad.