WI: Philip II of Spain born female

Philip II was the son of Charles V, the Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain. He was Charles V's only living legitimate son, as his father had only two living legitimate daughters, while his other sons died young (There's also John of Austria, but he was illegitimate). It was under Philip II that the Spanish Empire reached a Golden Age, with an empire across the globe, reaching its apex.

As a devout Catholic, he famously saw himself as the defender of Catholicism, with some of his most actions including fighting against the Ottomans in Mediterranean, Protestants in the Low Countries, funding the Catholic League against the Huguenots, and fighting against Elizabeth I of England (Arguably his most famous rival). Another actions including inheriting Portugal and its Empire via a claim from his mother-side, forming the Iberian Union. Another earlier moment was his marriage to Mary of England, which technically made him Jure uxoris the King of England and Ireland through his wife (Though, it didn't last long, and it wasn't a happy marriage on his part, as they failed to have any children)

However, obviously, with so many wars and enemies, Spain also became very in debt and at the same time saw inflation due to the wealth from the New World. But still, Philip II's reign is seen as the height of the Spanish Empire.

With that context out of the way, what if Philip II was instead born a girl (Who we'll call Isabella for simplicity's sake, as his sisters were Maria and Joanna)? Now, this is also accounting that Charles V's other sons still die young, meaning he only has legitimate daughters.

How would this effect succession? Would ITTL Isabella still inherit the throne of Spain? If so, who could she potentially marry? If not, who could inherit the Spanish Crown? How would Philip II being born a woman effect other nation, such as England or Portugal? And assuming Isabella is just as religious as her OTL male counterpart, what could be some changes in her life?

Philip was his parent's eldest child, so he'll still be Charles' heir if he's born a girl, though assuming we go by Charles and Isabella's OTL child births, this Isabella will be briefly displaced in 1529-1530 when Isabella gives birth to Ferdinand and again in 1537-1538 when Isabella gives birth to a son named Juan.

There's nothing stopping this ATL female Philip from inheriting Spain. Charles V during his reign as King of Spain was technically co-ruler with his mother Joanna, who was mentally incapacitated and unable to reign on her own. Likewise, the Low Countries had a history of female inheritance in Mary of Burgundy as well. The lack of a male heir will definitely be a major concern for Charles V and will likely play a major role in his political decisions. For one, Milan will likely remain unsettled as Charles won't be able to grant the duchy to his female heiress in the way he granted the Duchy to Philip IOTL. An unsettled succession may cause him to be more cautious re: his conflicts with France; by the end of the wars between Francis and Charles in the 1540s, he made the offer of either Milan or the Netherlands to Francis' youngest son in exchange for marrying either a Spanish princess (for the Low Countries) or a daughter of his brother (for Milan). If we're assuming minimal butterflies, Charles V will likely still militarily come out on top over the French in Italy as IOTL, but the lack of a male successor will be a huge issue.

As for a husband for this Isabella... his brother Ferdinand had several sons. It's possible that Ferdinand II (b. 1529) ends up considered a likely husband for the Spanish heiress. Charles likely asks his brother for permission for the young archduke to be reared in Spain alongside his future wife so that he can grow up Spanish and know his future subjects as King of Spain. It will also keep the Habsburg inheritance relatively together. The only other option might be a Portuguese marriage, if Charles is wanting to pursue a union of the crowns: John III had a son born in 1526 named Afonso, but he died shortly after birth. John III's surviving son was born in 1537, so too old for Isabella.

Philippa (as I'll call this gender flipped Philip II) will still be Charlies V's heir as the eldest child, although I do wonder if Charles would remarry after the death of Isabella of Portgual to get another chance at a son who can inherit on more solid footing. The OTL Philip II had four marriages looking for a suitable male successor and ultimately his youngest son was the one that succeeded him.

Not sure who could be a second wife to Charles though. Possibly one of his brother Ferdinand's daughters, he had quite a number of them.

Technically, there's nothing stopping female-Phillip from inheriting Castile

Aragon had a different succession law (semi-Sailic)
Aragon had already accepted the idea of female succession as early as 1502. Joanna was formally recognized as heir there, though the Archbishop of Zaragoza tried to argue that such an oath would still require a formal agreement between the King and Cortes.

Nevertheless, Joanna succeeded without issue when Ferdinand died... albeit with her son as her co-ruler. By time Charles V dies in the 1550s, he'll be more than able to secure his daughters succession in Aragon, likely with whatever husband he's chosen for her.

Philippa (as I'll call this gender flipped Philip II) will still be Charlies V's heir as the eldest child, although I do wonder if Charles would remarry after the death of Isabella of Portgual to get another chance at a son who can inherit on more solid footing. The OTL Philip II had four marriages looking for a suitable male successor and ultimately his youngest son was the one that succeeded him.

Not sure who could be a second wife to Charles though. Possibly one of his brother Ferdinand's daughters, he had quite a number of them.
Unless ITTL Maria of Spain is born male, than Charles might try to have more children with his first wive. Without a male heir, it will also be much more likely Charles will remarry, OTOH it's likely, that like his grandfather, no new wife can compare to his first wife.

Unless ITTL Maria of Spain is born male, than Charles might try to have more children with his first wive. Without a male heir, it will also be much more likely Charles will remarry, OTOH it's likely, that like his grandfather, no new wife can compare to his first wife.
To be fair, he did have sons born in 1529 and later 1537 with his first wife. I think there would be hope of a son so long as Isabella lives. Once she's dead, that's out the widow. Of the most eligible, Margaret of Valois (b. 1523) is available in 1539, as is his niece, Christina of Denmark. Sigismund the Old would have daughters available as well.

I doubt who Charles could try to have more children with Isabella as looks like they always tried when was possible. Charles will simply need to remarry after Isabella’s death: Maria of Viseu, Marguerite of France, Isabella of Poland, Anna of Cleves, Amalia of Cleves are all possible matches for him.

I doubt who Charles could try to have more children with Isabella as looks like they always tried when was possible. Charles will simply need to remarry after Isabella’s death: Maria of Viseu, Marguerite of France, Isabella of Poland, Anna of Cleves, Amalia of Cleves are all possible matches for him.
Anna of Lorraine as well :)

He still never felt fully satisfied.... Marie was his only one.
Thank you, this is what I meant. Despite Maximilian initiative shown to make sure his arranged marriage with Marie went through, very beneficial for the Habsburgs, but Marie and Maximilian turned out to be an rare arranged match made in heaven. Maximilian did remarry for the dynasty, but his heart belonged to Marie, romantic in a way, but not for his later wife, who though a mismatch, never stood a chance.

Thank you, this is what I meant. Despite Maximilian initiative shown to make sure his arranged marriage with Marie went through, very beneficial for the Habsburgs, but Marie and Maximilian turned out to be an rare arranged match made in heaven. Maximilian did remarry for the dynasty, but his heart belonged to Marie, romantic in a way, but not for his later wife, who though a mismatch, never stood a chance.
Happy to have helped.

I want to do something similar with my OC.