Before becoming the face of British fascism, Oswald Mosley belonged to the Labour Party, and was prominent enough to the point he was (briefly) a member of Ramsay MacDonald's cabinet. However, his career faced a roadblock immediately after he entered the party (he was a Tory before that) thanks to his defeat at the hands of future PM Neville Chamberlain in the Parliamentary seat of Birmingham Ladywood in 1924.

What if Mosley won (he lost by just 77 votes) and stayed as an MP continuously throughout the 1920s, instead of staying out of active politics for two years and only returning to Parliament in 1926, after a by-election? Would he have more prestige and followers in the Labour Party as a result, especially since he defeated a very prominent Tory? Could he even become leader, perhaps?

P. S.: I know there's a TL focused on the subject named A Greater Britain, but said work is more than 13 years old, so I might as well start some new discussion.

Even if he got there I doubt he would have kept it long. He was too much of an opportunist , jumping from party to party. Eventually he will go for an "opportunity" that isn't there and be ousted.

Even if he got there I doubt he would have kept it long. He was too much of an opportunist , jumping from party to party. Eventually he will go for an "opportunity" that isn't there and be ousted.
Got to where? The Labour leadership?

Last edited:
Who knows? The man went from being a Conservative to Independent to Labor to Fascist. The man was interested only in himself. He had no core beliefs he held on to besides doing whatever he thought did best for himself. Someone doesn't swing from Conservative to Labor to Fascist unless he doesn't have any core ideology .

Last edited:
What would have become of Chamberlain too?
I assume he'd be parachuted to some safe Conservative seat in a by-election.
Who knows? The man went from being a Conservative to Independent to Labor to Fascist. The man was interested only in himself. He had no core beliefs he held on to besides doing whatever he thought did best for himself. Some doesn't swing from Conservative to Labor to Fascist unless he doesn't have any core ideology .
Well, if the TL I linked is any indication, apparently he believed in Keynesian economics.
Even if he got there I doubt he would have kept it long.
And once again, where? Please specify.