WI: Operation Unthinkable Happens?

That again?
My old post from February:
(1) Numbers. Soviet deivsions were way smaller than american ones (6000-9000 men vs up to 25000), still there were 6,7 mlm people in RA and its allies (like polish Ludowa) vs 4,6 million of Western allies troops. Plus, soviet infantry divisions had better AA and AT capabilities than their Western counterparts. American divisions, IIRC, didn't posess nor anti-aircraft neither 120mm mortars in their infantry formations - but the Soviets did. On the other hand Western inf. divisions are better in terms of motorization I guess.
(2) In terms of quality Soviet armoured formations are way better as well as AT-capabilities of the whole Soviet army. And when we talk about Oparation Unthnikable we talk about a tank assault by Allies. Doing this, they would have to deal with Soviet heavy tanks, soviet heavy tank destroyers and the whole AT-system of the Soviet army, which had been "calibrated" to deal with German heavies are awaiting this Medium tanks allies are going to send at 'em.
(3) Artillery is the next point were allies lacking, so not so soundly as in tanks. IIRC, Anglo-americans didnt have anything close to artillery divisions and artillery corps of SA, which means, I think, Soviet union would have it easier to concetrate a huge number of artillery pieces where they are needed.
(4) Air force could be a king of equalizer here. Soviets had more warplanes, WA had slightly better warplanes. On a long run there is one advantage of WA. Their course in flying school was 400 hours for a cadet, while in USSR it was only 100–150. But, in 1945 the majority of Soviet active pilots are vets with military experience. So, until they are down, this factor wouldn't play. So, no established air superiority for alllies
(5) Operational art. Americans have never experienced (in the course of 1944-45 campaing in Europe) going toe-to-toe with someone who has both - better tanks and the same amount of Air force as they did. It is even worse when it comes to holding its positions on a vast front agains mechanized enemy without the possibility to obliterate it with your own Air force. When SU is done with allied tank fromations and counterattack, I can't see WA being able to hold their ground until the Rhein at very least.
(6) Moral high ground.
Moral high ground. In this scenario SU is under an unprovoked attack. Soviet moral will be quite high, but as for Allies - they are aggressors here. It is a crucial factors, as due to the numbers of the battlefield, WA would need a courage and sometimes self sacrifice. Could WA troops, who were forced to a new war with their ex-friends by their own government provide it? I doubt so. There have already been disorders by U.S. soldiers “We want to go home riots” in late 1945–1946

Basically, the only variable one needs to know about Operation Unthinkable is if the Anglo-American public supports such. If that is the case, then they will achieve decisive success in six months or less.

The balance of forces isn't so decisive that the WAllies are able to make massive gains immediately especially as the terrain they are advancing over has been comprehensively trashed, assisting the Soviet defence. However by Autumn '45 they should be into Poland and they would probably reach the 1939 Polish-Soviet border by Spring '46. I can't see any appetite to go all the way to Moscow so they probably offer a peace with the SU returning to it's pre-Molotov-Ribbentrop borders.

Still, though. Can you start digging? I mean, I do want to see how T-34s and IS-2s fare against M26 Pershings and M4 Shermans. :3

Don’t forget the field testing of the IS-3. It would be beautiful to see that thing destroy stuff for the sake of it. :3

The T-34 didn't do that great in Korea against the M4, and did worse against the Cromwell, Comet, and completely outclassed by the Centurion. As for the IS2, the Sherman Firefly could have stood it's ground if it got the first shot in, the Cromwell would have done more than slightly better. As for the IS1 against the Centurion or Pershing it would have it's work cut out.

Last edited:
Explain to me how the Red Army achieves such when the Anglo-Americans have a 2:1 advantage in tanks, a 3:2 advantage in the air and the same number of troops on the ground. Control of the air, vastly more tanks and the same number of men is going to be defeated with what? Elan?
Excuse me, but where are this data you are talking about? I cannot find it in this topic/thread.

Basically, the only variable one needs to know about Operation Unthinkable is if the Anglo-American public supports such. If that is the case, then they will achieve decisive success in six months or less.
WAllies hasn't experience anything close to "perform an offencive without a decisive domination in the air" nor being massively outcast in terms of artillery.

McPherson

Banned
France 1940 was a defeat. Ardennes 1944 was better, but Bradley botched the defense, had his front split and the battle was taken away from him and won by better generals.

I am surprised how little mention is of Soviet artillery. AFAIK Soviet doctrine did not envisage tanks to be taken out by other tanks, instead by artillery and tank destroyers. So this modifies the tank-to-tank comparison a bit. Morale will also be high among the Soviet ranks, as is political will, while for the Wallies, not so much.

I am surprised how little mention is of Soviet artillery. AFAIK Soviet doctrine did not envisage tanks to be taken out by other tanks, instead by artillery and tank destroyers. So this modifies the tank-to-tank comparison a bit. Morale will also be high among the Soviet ranks, as is political will, while for the Wallies, not so much.

^

Exactly. "Tank are not to wage war on other tanks" (Tanki s tankami ne voyuyut)
France 1940 and Bulge 1944.
The last one was won very much due to the weather finallly allowing the Allied Air forces to take control over the skies back from Germans. Plus, it was not about a
holding its positions on a vast front agains mechanized enemy without the possibility to obliterate it with your own Air force.
as for France -1940 it has nothing to do with a quality of American generals in 1945.

So, does this mean post-War Europe is either the Soviet ending of Red Alert 1 (minus Kane) or a darker version of the Allied ending of Red Alert 1?

Exactly. "Tank are not to wage war on other tanks" (Tanki s tankami ne voyuyut)

The last one was won very much due to the weather finallly allowing the Allied Air forces to take control over the skies back from Germans. Plus, it was not about a

as for France -1940 it has nothing to do with a quality of American generals in 1945.

Then again, the US has nukes. And I assumed US and British public opinion is mixed (as in: polarising).

So, does this mean post-War Europe is either the Soviet ending of Red Alert 1 (minus Kane) or a darker version of the Allied ending of Red Alert 1?
Red Alert is a game with time travel, weather devices and Tesla towers, I think you should not really compare it to real life.

Also, if there really is a revanchist Russia as some have pointed out, something tells me humanity would experience a post-apocalyptic 21st Century, right?

McPherson

Banned
I still think the Russians win, Not enough atom bombs to stop echelon attack or deep battle, they have a 20% margin in tanks and artillery, their LOCs are not as exposed, They are geographically deep. Their generals are better than our generals. Unified command. and they have a single front war. The allies still have to clean up the Pacific mess and the Americans are shipping 1 million combat veterans home from Europe which they will have to replace with new half trained levies.

PLUS... the Americans have picked the worst possible time to re-equip their fighter, tank and general equipment lines for the planned final showdown with Japan.

What am I doing? I mention critical Russian advantages;

-tank numerical superiority.
-artillery tube numbers advantage.
-better battle doctrine that is not easiily stopped by airpower (all learned by generals who were a generation ahead in the key area of operational art by 1945 over their British and American peers.)
-better rear area security and more secure land lines of communication. (all under geographical factors.)
-unity of command, which means one general staff, instead of three, one political purpose instead of four, and one set of logistics problems instead of two.
-one front and one coalition to fight. The coalition still has to put down the Germans and conquer the Japanese; so three fronts and three enemies.
- I think morale is a wash, because the soldiers on both sides will be asking, "Why are we fighting our allies?" The difference is the Russians will keep it to themselves and fight because they have a political apparatus that is strictly US Civil War 1865. "Fight, or we shoot you." (File closers were an American practice; though invented by Napoleon.)
ChoppedLiver.jpg

One brief note about tanks. The Russian army like the American army, was of necessity and practice, a medium tank army... what we would call a main battle tank army. Logistics, transport problems and the terrain of western Russian dictated T-34s and massed formations. The Russian IS series tanks, their Joseph Stalins, were NOT antitank tanks designed to fight Siberian Tigers (proper name for Tiger IIs). The Joseph Stalins were intended to break through mythical German Maginot type defense lines. The IS tanks' separate charge propellant case and shell slow firing main guns shows this to be the purpose.

Soviet doctrine saw the T-34 as the exploitation weapon. It would fight Panthers if it had too, but the Russians thought like the Americans, infantry supported by antitank weapons should snarl up enemy tanks while own tanks stormed through a hole opened up in the enemy front and disrupt his lines of communication and defeat him by attacking his rear areas, his command elements and his supply lines... DEEP BATTLE. Echelon attack is self explanatory, stack forces and probe for weaknesses, find or make a hole in the enemy ftont and then shift the stack and shove second echelon and third echelon through the front and fan out behind the enemy, cut him off and chop him up back to front.

Soviet artillery was a lot different in employment than American artillery. Frontage (linear) stacking was normative pre-offensive or defensive operations, saturation of area bombardment techniques was more practiced and call fires or shoot by surveyed map, with forward observer corrections was less practiced. Practicality was at work, not because Russians could not do call-fires; of course they could. This was because in a mobile battle, which was the Russian doctrine, the artillery fires, once the initial area bombardment was concluded, as call fires, could not be guaranteed with the SPEED and tempo of Russian operations expected. That artillery would be moving with the shock armies to set up for the next move when the logistics pause called an out of supply halt to Russian operations.

That supply halt might actually be the only chance the Wallies have. Russian armies could lunge in 1945 about 450-500 kilometers, then halt and spend a couple of weeks or up to a couple of months depending on whose front had priority to restock and refresh before they tried again.

Warsaw and the Balkan operations prior to Hungary are examples of this supply halt phenomenon in late WWII. Still I think the Russians win it.

Last edited:
What am I doing? I mention critical Russian advantages;

-tank numerical superiority.
-artillery tube numbers advantage.
-better battle doctrine that is not easiily stopped by airpower (all learned by generals who were a generation ahead in the key area of operational art by 1945.
-better rear area security and more secure land lines of communication. (all under geographical factors.)
-unity of command, which means one general staff, instead of three, one political purpose instead of four, and one set of logistics problems instead of two.
-one front and one coalition to fight. The coalition still has to put down the Germans and conquer the Japanese; so three fronts and three enemies.
- I think morale is a wash, because the soldiers on both sides will be asking, "Why are we fighting our allies?" The difference is the Russians will keep it to themselves and fight because they have a political apparatus that is US Civil War. "Fight, or we shoot you." (File closers were an American practice; though invented by Napoleon.)
ChoppedLiver.jpg

One brief note about tanks. The Russian army like the American army, was of necessity and practice, a medium tank army... what we would call a main battle tank army. Logistics, transport problems and the terrain of western Russian dictated T-34s and massed formations. The Russian IS series tanks, their Joseph Stalins were NOT antitank tanks designed to fight Siberian Tigers (proper name for Tiger IIs). The Joseph Stalins were intended to break through mythical German defense lines. Their separate charge propellant case and shell slow firing main guns shows this.

Soviet doctrine saw the T-34 as the exploitation weapon. It would fight Panthers if it had too, but the Russians thought like the Americans, infantry supported by antitank weapons should snarl up enemy tanks while own tanks stormed through a hole opened up in the enemy front and disrupt his lines of communication and defeat him by attacking his rear areas, his command elements and his supply lines... DEEP BATTLE. Echelon attack is self explanatory, stack forces and probe for weaknesses, find or make a hole in the enemy ftont and then shift the stack and shove second echelon and third echelon through the front and fan out behind the enemy, cut him off and chop him up back to front.

Soviet artillery was a lot different in employment than American artillery. Frontage (linear) stacking was normative pre-offensive or defensive operations, saturation of area bombardment techniques was more practiced and call fires or shoot by surveyed map, with forward observer corrections was less practiced. Practicality was at work, not because Russians could not do call-fires; of course they could. This was because in a mobile battle, which was the Russian doctrine, the artillery fires, once the initial area bombardment was concluded, as call fires, could not be guaranteed with the SPEED and tempo of Russian operations expected. That artillery would be moving with the shock armies to set up for the next move when the logistics pause called an out of supply halt to Russian operations.

That supply halt might actually be the only chance the Wallies have. Russian armies could lunge in 1945 about 450-500 kilometers, then halt and spend a couple of weeks or up to a couple of months depending on whose front had priority to restock and refresh before they tried again.

Warsaw and the Balkan operations prior to Hungary are examples of this supply halt phenomenon in late WWII. Still I think the Russians win it.

Well, that also depends on how long extended WW2 lasts. If the Allies last long enough, they may have a chance to retake Europe. So.....yay? Also, both sides were exhausted so all the Allies need to do is wait for the Soviets to collapse inward.

Last edited:
There's a reason it was called Unthinkable.

AFAIK

-Germany had basically expended their military-age male population.
-Britain was on their final field army, no more reinforcements incoming.
-AFAIK the Soviets were at the end of their manpower rope as well, they were at full mobilization but had no more reinforcements incoming.

Only the US had more meat left for the grinder.

If Unthinkable goes ahead, I think there may come a point where all of Europe collapses just due to an inability to keep fighting.