WI one of the Queen's sons was gay?

my question is, what would have happened if Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, or Prince Edward had been born gay? when (if ever) would they have come out? would Charles or Andrew (if it was one of them) avoided marrying? married earlier (in the case of Charles who was 33 when he married in OTL) if it was Edward would he marry a man in the late 1990s rather then his (OTL) wife? would or could any royal prince be openly in a male-male relationship, and if so when is the earliest that could happen? and how much bigger of a deal would it be to have a gay heir (Charles) then just a Prince (Andrew, Edward)?

my question is, what would have happened if Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, or Prince Edward had been born gay? when (if ever) would they have come out? would Charles or Andrew (if it was one of them) avoided marrying? married earlier (in the case of Charles who was 33 when he married in OTL) if it was Edward would he marry a man in the late 1990s rather then his (OTL) wife? would or could any royal prince be openly in a male-male relationship, and if so when is the earliest that could happen? and how much bigger of a deal would it be to have a gay heir (Charles) then just a Prince (Andrew, Edward)?

There are persistent rumours that Andrew is in fact gay and this was known about by all parties prior to his marrying Fergie so you may in fact find the answer to your question to be 'OTL' :)

Congressman

Banned
What's with Gay Royals on the forum? I've haven't been here so long, but I keep seeing threads on the subject.

Lots of rumors on Andrew

And many would not be shocked if Harry was at least bisexual

I would!

Anyway, I suppose the British public would just get used to it. If they were to talk about it, the LGBT movement would get a boost. A gay marriage could be pushing it.

Rumours about all the Queen's sons, some more ridiculous than others.

Anyway it would be supressed and Charles and Andrew would be forced into marriage with girls, don't kid yourself on that. Because of his age and status as a younger son Edward would probably get away with not marrying and maybe letting it become an open secret in his later years, providing political/social history proceeds broadly as OTL.

Who would they marry :)

I would love a time line which sees Prince Charles and Ian McKellen as husbands :D
and have Ian as 1st Duke of Lancaster :p

Or

Prince Andrew and Peter Benjamin Mandelson.

:D I am having fun already

There's been a number of gay kings in the past. Not a huge deal.

Not sure if they were gay in the ways we would think. Some monarchs used it have male lovers, but I am unsure if they loved them or if anyone refused to marry a woman in favor of staying single for someone of the same sex.

I spent my honeymoon near Porthleven, just round from RNAS Culdrose. Prince Andrew was very well known in the pubs, and by reports from locals, if he gay, he's so far in the closet he's five miles behind Aslan.

From William or Harry's generation onwards though, it won't make the blindest bit of difference.

Not sure if they were gay in the ways we would think. Some monarchs used it have male lovers, but I am unsure if they loved them or if anyone refused to marry a woman in favor of staying single for someone of the same sex.
I think a few took wives to have heirs, but definitely had romantic relationships spanning years or decades with men.

Honestly, who cares? There have been plenty of both gay and queer royals in the past.

Now let's revert to type with these sorts of threads. What if he was caught having sex with Bill Clinton?:cool:

A more interesting discussion would be if some of the slightly earlier royals were gay. Imagine Edward VIII caught 'in the act' with some strapping Yank bloke (Charles Lindbergh, anyone? I'm feeling cruel today...), especially if he was King when it happened. The press would, to put it lightly, go apeshit. While it would no doubt put George on the throne, it might accelerate gay rights on both sides of the Atlantic.

Well John, I think the interest is with mixing the modern idea being sexuality attracted to men with how royalty inheritance and all that stuff works. While there have been gay kings and queen in the world, even in Britain, or ones that seemed to defiantly had a interest the same gender, either the idea of same-sex attraction was different or society was very conseritive towards it.

Also, if someone did this as a timeline, would it be safe to use an actual one or safer to create an OC? Personally I have no problem with RPF fiction, so long as it made clear you are in no way trying to portray this as a biography of sorts.

Edit: speaking on this subject, I came across a series of RPF involving William marrying another actual royal, from Sweden I think. Personally I thought it was very well written.

A more interesting discussion would be if some of the slightly earlier royals were gay. Imagine Edward VIII caught 'in the act' with some strapping Yank bloke (Charles Lindbergh, anyone? I'm feeling cruel today...), especially if he was King when it happened. The press would, to put it lightly, go apeshit. While it would no doubt put George on the throne, it might accelerate gay rights on both sides of the Atlantic.

George, Duke of Kent, younger brother of Edward VIII was bisexual.

The press ignored it. The media simply did not report these kinds of things.

There was a lot of press speculation in the 80s that Prince Edward was gay, much of it was really just an undercurrent of homophobic attitudes, he didn't want to be in the military and was interested in theatre, so of course he must be gay.

Had he been gay, it would have probably caused a ruffle in some of the media, there would have been jokes and homophobic humour that would be considered inappropriate now but was perfectly fine in the 80s but most people would have got used to it. Much depends on the individual themselves.

Strangely I think there would have been more shock had Princess Anne been a lesbian, than if one of her brothers were gay.

Interestingly the Jacobite King of England, Duke Franz of Bavaria is openly gay.

Well John, I think the interest is with mixing the modern idea being sexuality attracted to men with how royalty inheritance and all that stuff works. While there have been gay kings and queen in the world, even in Britain, or ones that seemed to defiantly had a interest the same gender, either the idea of same-sex attraction was different or society was very conseritive towards it.

Also, if someone did this as a timeline, would it be safe to use an actual one or safer to create an OC? Personally I have no problem with RPF fiction, so long as it made clear you are in no way trying to portray this as a biography of sorts.

Edit: speaking on this subject, I came across a series of RPF involving William marrying another actual royal, from Sweden I think. Personally I thought it was very well written.

I think we can all agree that if a Prince (or Princess) is gay (bi, trans) in an ATL even if they have the same name, genetically they're not the same person, which is to say if the Queen's first born son was gay, she likely would still name him Charles but he wouldn't be the same person, just gay, as OTL's Prince Charles

So as a POD for this sort of timeline, what would the best point to go for?

Note: Even though this is a thread about a son, I think grandchildren POD's should be considered if only because each decade further up lessens the ASB that it would not be 'pushed to the side' so to speak.