WI Odoacer gave Western Roman Imperial insignia to the Pope?

As in the title what would be the effects of Odoacer giving the imperial insignia to the Pope rather than sending them to Constantinople ? (forgive me if it is a dumb question, but I rememer a recent thread about whether Frankish Empire could be considered continuation of WRE and wanted to know WI the Pope had some sort of legal-ish authority to bestow imperial title)

It does'nt matter, whom he gives these insignia. The only one, who is entitled to appoint a junior Augustus is the senior Augustus.
In a perfect world, the roman emperor marches west in 800 AD and kills the pope and his usurpator Carolus. ;)

PS: Afaik, Odoaker gave the insignia to the senate in Rome and the senate sent it to Constantinople. And was'nt the bishop of Rome rather unimportant these times?

Last edited:
ASB. The Pope wouldn't want them regardless - and as others pointed out, it would lead to swift retaliation. You do not simply appoint people as Emperors without the consensus of Constantinople yet.

It does'nt matter, whom he gives these insignia. The only one, who is entitled to appoint a junior Augustus is the senior Augustus.
In a perfect world, the roman emperor marches west in 800 AD and kills the pope and his usurpator Carolus. ;)

PS: Afaik, Odoaker gave the insignia to the senate in Rome and the senate sent it to Constantinople. And was'nt the bishop of Rome rather unimportant these times?

What have I done for you to wish for my dead:'(? Et tu, Agricola?