WI: Obama does not run in 2012

Heavy

Banned
I have lately been considering the scenario where Barack Obama, whether for reasons of serious illness or personal injury, decides he cannot run for re-election in 2012 and announces his intention to leave the White House at the end of his first term.

What would the ensuing race look like now that it's open on both sides? Would different issues come to the fore in Obama's absence? If Obama is in a position to run again and "pull a Cleveland" (even if it's not in 2016), would he do so? And if he does not, what would his legacy look like?

I would think Hillary would run.

Biden would want to, too, but I don't think he'd get the nomination if Rodham Clinton was available instead.

I don't think Clinton would get it, just looks bad. It looks like she just jumps at being President. Joe Biden gets it. How he fares aganist the Republicans I don't know. A lot of big names didnt run because they didnt think they would win. Like Christe Chrstie, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio. They might run, and the Republicans have a much better chance aganist Biden.

But how hurt or sick was Obama. People could rally around Biden like how people voted for Johnston after Kennedy was Killed.

I don't think Clinton would get it, just looks bad. It looks like she just jumps at being President. Joe Biden gets it. How he fares aganist the Republicans I don't know. A lot of big names didnt run because they didnt think they would win. Like Christe Chrstie, Jeb Bush, and Marco Rubio. They might run, and the Republicans have a much better chance aganist Biden.

But how hurt or sick was Obama. People could rally around Biden like how people voted for Johnston after Kennedy was Killed.

Your logic about why Clinton would not get the nomination makes no sense, and smacks of wish-fulfilment. A Presidential candidate known for wanting to be President has rarely been a problem to the American public.

Japhy

Banned
I don't think Clinton would get it, just looks bad. It looks like she just jumps at being President.

What you're saying is that anyone who decides to run for President automatically "Looks Bad"? What on earth exempts Joe Biden from that, or any theoretical Republican? :rolleyes:

Thats not what I am saying, I am saying that if Obama for whatever the reason can not run in 2012, it will look a little bad if Clinton ''jumps at the chance'' but thats just me. Besides the Vice President is next in line to run.

Japhy

Banned
Thats not what I am saying, I am saying that if Obama for whatever the reason can not run in 2012, it will look a little bad if Clinton ''jumps at the chance'' but thats just me.

Well then, Why?

It would take something like a stroke or a severe battle with Cancer to get the incumbent to walk away for medical reasons in the modern age. If the President has clearly arrived at this point, and has announced that he will not run again long enough ahead of things that the party can find a new nominee, why would anyone be tarred at "jumping at the chance"?

Because as noted previously it seems that you're simply seeking some wish-fulfillment. She ran once before and didn't get it? Well that didn't tar Reagan in 1980. Or Richard Nixon. Or Tom Dewey. Or Herbert Hoover. Or a Dozen other Republicans. They'd have no grounds to attack her on it.

Besides the Vice President is next in line to run.

Only if the President as been removed from office. And of course no incumbent has a privilege to be run. There is no line of succession in nominations. This is, worth noting, not how Democracies work.

If Obama's health is so bad that he can't run for a second term, then it is probably so bad that he can't finish out his first, so he would resign, and Biden would be the incumbent, and thus unlikely to be challenged.

Thats not what I am saying, I am saying that if Obama for whatever the reason can not run in 2012, it will look a little bad if Clinton ''jumps at the chance'' but thats just me. Besides the Vice President is next in line to run.

I guess that makes sense, though it wouldn't necessarily be a major problem, IMO. If Clinton performs really well vis-a-vis Biden or someone else, then she might just make the cut.

There are plenty of scenarios where Obama decides he can't run. God forbid there's a personal tragedy in his life, or he suffers from something degenerative that won't immediately debilitate.

As for Clinton, if she wants to be president at all, she probably has to jump in the race in 2012. Otherwise she's likely waiting until 2020, which is probably too late to start a first term.

Obama's legacy ITTL is in better shape than it'll likely be in 2016 IOTL. Four years of weary fighting with no result has disappeared, and the sympathy of the country will shift towards him.

This means his endorsement has greatly added weight.

He might be able to avoid endorsing Biden or Clinton ("both did so much for my administration" is the tag line.) But the press will treat that as a slight to Biden, definitely the closer and more loyal of the two.

If he does endorse Biden- and remember his endorsement means a LOT more ITTL- we've potentially got a real fight on our hands.

Clinton's got less of a built-in advantage (4 less years to get her machine back together) but Biden can't capture all of Obama's juice, either.

Honestly, Obama's endorsement probably makes the fight too even. Both would be too strong and well-funded to drop out before at least a few primaries, and that only serves to weaken the party, and more importantly, Obama's legacy.

Since Obama's got potential control over the outcome if he DOESN'T endorse Biden, he probably talks Biden out of running. He couldn't talk Clinton out of running, so it's got to be Biden. If he does nothing, Biden ends up looking weak and Obama ends up looking disloyal. And as I said before, if he endorses Biden, everyone ends up looking weak.

So getting behind Clinton's what the smart political money is on.

The Republican field could be a lot stronger in terms of better conservative candidates running. They will still have a strong fight on their hands all through the primaries.

Cruz or Rubio is my guess. A surprise from Christie's an interesting possibility, but we're still talking about the Republican primaries here, and I am skeptical he can win under any circumstances.

Clinton would have a very tough fight. The PAC money would rain down hard on all the culture war touchstones she embodies. There's less traction for attacking Biden, but he's also less impressive a candidate. I still think he's solid enough, and the field is tilted enough towards the Democrats (even with a conservative voter bump for Rubio or whoever) that Biden would definitely win.
Clinton...could stumble. Lots of pressure, lots of attacks, not honestly all that charismatic either. It's still a Democratic year for the presidency and it's her's to lose, I just think she's more likely to lose than Biden. To put it another way, I'd give her 3::2 odds and Biden 2::1 odds.

And of course this assumes Obama announces his decision with plenty of time. If this happens right around the convention, the Republicans are stuck with Romney and Biden gets the nomination, possibly with a floor challenge at the convention from Clinton, if she wants to mount one. Whoever wins, big advantage to the Democrats- sympathy mounts in their cause and Romney remains unimpressive.

Thinking about it, Obama not resigning if his health got that bad would probably actually be a very bad move. "If he's so sick he can't run for reelection, how can he run the country for the next year?"

Why? Certainly not legally.

Her primary focus as Secretary is running the State Department and Foreign Services Department. Taking part in a political campaign would require a lot of her attention, and is not the same as doing it when you're a Senator, which at worst means missing a vote here and there. Plus I thought it was sort of an unwritten rule that SOS act above party politics.

Heavy

Banned
I was curious because most of the "Obama doesn't run in 2012" hypotheticals I have seen (not on AH.com, mind you) seem to hinge on him being assassinated before his first term is up. I thought it would be interesting to see what the outcome might be if Obama, due to circumstances beyond his control, is unable to enter the contest in 2012, but still has the opportunity to influence the subsequent election on his own side.

If Biden is able to clinch the nomination, who would he be likely to choose as his running mate?

Would the debt ceiling/govt. shutdown malarkey still go down in 2013?

Thinking about it, Obama not resigning if his health got that bad would probably actually be a very bad move. "If he's so sick he can't run for reelection, how can he run the country for the next year?"

Plenty of reasons. MS, if you want to be stereotypical. Anything with chronic pain that makes work difficult but not impossible in the short term, with four more years just too much to handle. Or look what happened to Biden in Whanztastic's Biden Express.

There are other, non-illness possibilities that I don't even want to voice that might make him want to leave politics, and yet finish his commitment to the country.

Also, who says the decision is made a year away from the election? It could be any time during his term.

Her primary focus as Secretary is running the State Department and Foreign Services Department. Taking part in a political campaign would require a lot of her attention, and is not the same as doing it when you're a Senator, which at worst means missing a vote here and there. Plus I thought it was sort of an unwritten rule that SOS act above party politics.

This is probably correct. Not leaving would only feed the confusion over who represents Obama's legacy. Two candidates from within the administration? Baffling.

Clinton was the next most popular Democrat she wins the nomination and the election.

Clinton to win is the way to bet in this ATL. What would be interesting to see is whether any second-tier Democrats jump in the race to increase their chances of getting on the ticket or perhaps winning the nomination in a future election cycle.

In 2008 Biden ran*, couldn't break out of the second tier, and dropped out early but wound up being VP.

* If Biden runs and loses in 2016, he joins an exclusive club: those who unsuccessfully ran for president in three different decades. Harold Stassen made unsuccessful runs in six different decades--a record likely to stand for all time.

Last edited:
The only context I can picture this is a REALLY serious health issue.

If it were a scandal, which I doubt is possible, it would make the dem nomination worthless

Had he terminal cancer diagnosed in early spring 12 I tend to assume Hilary gets the nomination