WI: Non-video game characters in Super Smash Bros.?

So, what if at a certain point into the Super Smash Bros. franchise, Masahiro Sakurai decides to pull the "Game characters only" rule and lets characters from all kinds of pop culture (ranging from TV to movies to comics and whatnot) in Smash? How would that happen? I mean, I could see characters like Goku and Mickey Mouse make their way into Smash (and maybe even characters like James Bond as well). Heck, Pingu would be one hell of a revelation for Smash, even though that would seem unrealistic and very unlikely because of Pingu's niche nature outside of internet memes (though Pingu is still a beloved children's icon in Japan, where he even got a anime produced over there!).

No offense but I don't think the knock-on effects of whatever Pingu is ending up in a Smash Bros game would be of much note. I wouldn't say Smash is some touchstone piece of art in the interactive medium and slapping a "Pingu" into it likely wouldn't change games in the slightest.

Sora's...presence in Smash Bros. Ultimate would be the closest to such IOTL, for better or worse, as far as we all know about the series he came from (and yes I know it had Final Fantasy characters show up in it at certain times).

Sora's...presence in Smash Bros. Ultimate would be the closest to such IOTL, for better or worse, as far as we all know about the series he came from (and yes I know it had Final Fantasy characters show up in it at certain times).
Well, who knows what'll happen, because things would be getting different if non-video game characters become playable in Smash.

Goku is a cultural icon in Japan. My guess is that he'd be one of the more likely characters to make it into Smash from outside video games.