WI No Robert II of Scotland?

In OTL future King Robert II of Scotland was born prematurely in 2 March 1316... He was delivered by a caesarian section after his mother Marjory Bruce was thrown off horse in Paisley Abbey... Marjorie survived the birth by few hours but Robert survived and succeeded his chlidless uncle David II in 1371...
WI Robert and Marjorie didnt survived?
Who gets the Throne after David II? Could Edward III act again as an arbitrator again just like his grandfather did? Any thoughts?

In OTL future King Robert II of Scotland was born prematurely in 2 March 1316... He was delivered by a caesarian section after his mother Marjory Bruce was thrown off horse in Paisley Abbey... Marjorie survived the birth by few hours but Robert survived and succeeded his chlidless uncle David II in 1371...
WI Robert and Marjorie didnt survived?
Who gets the Throne after David II? Could Edward III act again as an arbitrator again just like his grandfather did? Any thoughts?

I think the nearest relative might be Thomas, Earl of Mar, who was the grandson of David II's aunt Christina Bruce. However could the Scottish succession go throught the female line??

I think the nearest relative might be Thomas, Earl of Mar, who was the grandson of David II's aunt Christina Bruce. However could the Scottish succession go throught the female line??

Only if all of the Male lines had been exausted...

Hence Mary Queen of Scots...

So, the question is: were there any other suitable male-line candidates left?

The Scots trusted Edward I as Scotland and England had good relations, before he decided to act like a butcher. I doubt that mistake would be repeated again...

Only if all of the Male lines had been exausted...

Hence Mary Queen of Scots...

So, the question is: were there any other suitable male-line candidates left?

The Bruces of Clackmannan could put in a claim. It's unknown at the moment how the first Baron Bruce of Clackmannan was related to David II. One line of thought it that the descent came through the son of Robert I's brother Edward Bruce

The Bruces of Clackmannan could put in a claim. It's unknown at the moment how the first Baron Bruce of Clackmannan was related to David II. One line of thought it that the descent came through the son of Robert I's brother Edward Bruce

Althought there is also some debate as to whether Eddy had any sons anyway. However perhaps for the purposes of this thread we assume that the Clackmannan Bruces are descended from Edddy and therefore have a very good claim to the throne on the death of David II