WI: No Quebec Act

Eurofed

Banned
I've used this as part of the PoD for my USAO TL, where Quebec and the Iroquois nations join the ARW. This leads to a more integrationist, multicultural, and expansionist USA, made stronger in its youth a a long Federalist dominance, that gradually spreads to swallow the Americas and Oceania.

A thought provoking thread and one worthy of renewed consideration. Like Eurofed, I too found it informative when I began my CoHE TL.

Eurofed

Banned
Or, you know, Upper Canada which would be far more valuable. :rolleyes:

Well, since this happens well before the mass settlement of Loyalists in Upper Canada, the latter was still very thinly populated and essentially by Quebecois or vanilla "American" settlers, so if Quebec and New England alike join the Revolution, I expect UC would automatically go Rebel as well. Much like the Midwest, Britain may be able to keep some forts here and there in the region, but not much more. Rather, I fully expect the main consequence of a Rebel Quebec is that Eddy's attempts to bring Nova Scotia in the fold of the Rebellion as well are fully successful. Although it is quite possible that the British may be able to recapture Halifax later, this would ensure that all of Canada would join America at the peace table.

As it concerns the fate of Quebec after the victory, I do not see much ground for it returning to France (as others have argued, France learned everything it needed to know about the difficulty and costs of keeping it in the SYW) or purposefully going independent. The political and economic ties built betwen Quebec and the other 14 colonies during and after the Revolution would not fray so easily.

The early American constitutional framework, both under the Articles of Confederation and under the Constitution, gave very ample autonomy to the single states, the Quebecois would be free to protect their religion and languages, as long as they don't discriminate against Protestants and English-speakers.

The strength of anti-Catholic sentiment in the 13 colonies gets often much exaggerated, there were Catholics among the Framers and the Patriot elite was eager to get Quebec in the fold (Canada was pre-approved to join under the Articles of Confederation). As part of the Constitutional Convention, Quebec representatives would be able to insert some provisions in the Constitution that would explictly protect their established church and language.

In my own TL, I use the following clausle (among several other butterflies):

"The domestic institutions and privileges of the several States shall not be infringed by the United States, but no State shall hamper the due exercise of the powers granted by this Constitution to the United States."

But several other different wordings are possible.

No doubt American Quebec shall evolve into a culturally distinct state and region from the rest of America, much like Texas in different ways, but I don't think it shall have real difficulties finding its own confortable niche in the American society, and to be respected and valued for it. Most likely, as time goes on, it shall become a French-speaking, Catholic version of New England, and Montreal a Quebecois version of New York, as industrialization and immigration unfold, and the economic and cultural ties with New England and New York increase.

I really don't think American Quebec is going to keep Upper Canada, it would make the state too big and unbalanced with the rest of the Federation. Almost surely, Ontario (but it may easily have a different name ITTL, I use "Franklin" in my TL) splits off as a different state much at the same time that the first new states like Kentucjy, Tennessee, and Ohio are created. Most likely, American Quebec becomes the seed of a ring of partially French-speaking states, including Acadia, Franklin, and a few others. E.g. in my TL, eastern Quebec becomes its own French-speaking state, and western Ontario becomes a mixed state. Quebec would most likely support this, as a way of increasing its own influence in the Federation. However, I doubt that states on the northern shore of the Great Lakes would ever become purely French-speaking states, since immigration from Quebec would be balanced from immigration from Europe, which is more likely to get assimilated as English-speakers (as OTL Canada indicates).

As it concerns the Loyalists, I don't think they could ever remain in North America: Rupert's Land would be too remote and too exposed to American expansion. American Canada all but ensures that Rupert's Land shall eventually neatly fall into America's lap, either in TTL's version of the War of 1812, or when overwhelming penetration by American settlers makes British control untenable. They shall be resettled to other areas of the British Empire, such as Ireland, South Africa, Australia, possibly Patagonia, or a mix of the above.

Last edited:

Glen

Well, since this happens well before the mass settlement of Loyalists in Upper Canada, the latter was still very thinly populated and essentially by Quebecois or vanilla "American" settlers, so if Quebec and New England alike join the Revolution, I expect UC would automatically go Rebel as well.

Agreed, IF Quebec joins the revolution.

Much like the Midwest, Britain may be able to keep some forts here and there in the region, but not much more. Rather, I fully expect the main consequence of a Rebel Quebec is that Eddy's attempts to bring Nova Scotia in the fold of the Rebellion as well are fully successful. Although it is quite possible that the British may be able to recapture Halifax later, this would ensure that all of Canada would join America at the peace table.

Interesting. Who is this Eddy of which you speak? The Americans don't have to hold the territory, just have enough of their citizens revolt and them send reps to the Continental Congress so they can claim it as part of the US at the peace table.

As it concerns the fate of Quebec after the victory, I do not see much ground for it returning to France (as others have argued, France learned everything it needed to know about the difficulty and costs of keeping it in the SYW)

Probably.

or purposefully going independent. The political and economic ties built between Quebec and the other 14 colonies during and after the Revolution would not fray so easily.

Less certain, but yeah. Although I could see the British offering it at the end of the war to split the colonies.

The early American constitutional framework, both under the Articles of Confederation and under the Constitution, gave very ample autonomy to the single states, the Quebecois would be free to protect their religion and languages, as long as they don't discriminate against Protestants and English-speakers.

Agreed.

The strength of anti-Catholic sentiment in the 13 colonies gets often much exaggerated, there were Catholics among the Framers and the Patriot elite was eager to get Quebec in the fold (Canada was pre-approved to join under the Articles of Confederation). As part of the Constitutional Convention, Quebec representatives would be able to insert some provisions in the Constitution that would explicitly protect their established church and language.

Agree here as well.

In my own TL, I use the following clause (among several other butterflies):

"The domestic institutions and privileges of the several States shall not be infringed by the United States, but no State shall hamper the due exercise of the powers granted by this Constitution to the United States."

But several other different wordings are possible.

Not certain anything more is needed, but its not unreasonable.

No doubt American Quebec shall evolve into a culturally distinct state and region from the rest of America, much like Texas in different ways, but I don't think it shall have real difficulties finding its own comfortable niche in the American society, and to be respected and valued for it.

Agreed.

Most likely, as time goes on, it shall become a French-speaking, Catholic version of New England, and Montreal a Quebecois version of New York, as industrialization and immigration unfold, and the economic and cultural ties with New England and New York increase.

Yes and no. I don't know that the American State of Quebec will be able to remain quite so pure in its linguistic heritage as the Canadian Province of Quebec was. I think more of Louisiana and the Cajuns in particular....

I really don't think American Quebec is going to keep Upper Canada, it would make the state too big and unbalanced with the rest of the Federation. Almost surely, Ontario (but it may easily have a different name ITTL, I use "Franklin" in my TL) splits off as a different state much at the same time that the first new states like Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ohio are created.

Maybe, maybe. Hadn't thought about that. Doubt the name Franklin, though.

Most likely, American Quebec becomes the seed of a ring of partially French-speaking states, including Acadia, Franklin, and a few others. E.g. in my TL, eastern Quebec becomes its own French-speaking state, and western Ontario becomes a mixed state. Quebec would most likely support this, as a way of increasing its own influence in the Federation. However, I doubt that states on the northern shore of the Great Lakes would ever become purely French-speaking states, since immigration from Quebec would be balanced from immigration from Europe, which is more likely to get assimilated as English-speakers (as OTL Canada indicates).

I think there will be a lot more mixed speakers in the first decades of the USA, yes. But there was IOTL as well (French in Maine, German in Pennsylvania, etc.). However, I think English will still be predominant, and I don't think you'd see Quebec making an issue of it, as that might just start to incite the ire of the other states. Then again, I could be wrong.

As it concerns the Loyalists, I don't think they could ever remain in North America: Rupert's Land would be too remote and too exposed to American expansion. American Canada all but ensures that Rupert's Land shall eventually neatly fall into America's lap, either in TTL's version of the War of 1812, or when overwhelming penetration by American settlers makes British control untenable. They shall be resettled to other areas of the British Empire, such as Ireland, South Africa, Australia, possibly Patagonia, or a mix of the above.

Well, did they give over Newfoundland and Labrador as well? That would be another site. And maybe even Oregon. The Caribbean will be another locale.

Ontario wasn't split off of Quebec at the beginning of the ARW, and wouldn't be here. Maybe the loyalists go West as you say.

And what happens with the French Revolution? I think it unlikely that France won't have it just because they have reacquired Quebec. What happens then?

Either Quebec breaks loose during the French Revolution/Aftermath, or it stays for the duration, in which case why wouldn't it eventually become a Department of France. If Guiana can, surely Quebec can...

If there is no QA then Ontario is a northern extension of the Indian terr. Quebec still ends at Mtl. If there is French intervention I can still see them asking for the natural frontier along the lakes... so they will get the Upper country. I mean really its a small strip north of the lakes and the colonies a have the vast expanse between the Appalachians and the Mississippi.

The colonies won't like a major European power in their backyard though, how do you get past that? Either they just have to accept or you spin Quebec out as an autonomous vassal of the French Crown under its own Duke say, the Duchy of Quebec. let it be the charge of one of the King's brothers ( Dukes of Provence or Artois) or perhaps say Lafayette after the revolution.

Come the revolution, and it will probably still occur for many of the same reasons OTL, lack of financial reform being the most prominent but not the only one. It will be a royalist stronghold as most Quebecois viewed the revolution with abhorrence OTL especially after the regicide of the terror.

Eurofed

Banned
Agreed, IF Quebec joins the revolution.

Given the PoD, I take it pretty much as granted. ;)

Interesting. Who is this Eddy of which you speak?

See this. I can easily see Eddy's attempt to bring the Revolution to Nova Scotia be successful, if he's backed by a Patriot Quebec.

However, admittedly in my own TL, I use the further butterfly of Guy Carleton being PO against British rule by its oppressive attitude against Quebec, and joining the Patriots. He's pivotal in swinging Quebec and Nova Scotia in the Rebel fold (and makes another talented Founding Father, besides Arnold that stays loyal to a stronger Revolution).

The Americans don't have to hold the territory, just have enough of their citizens revolt and them send reps to the Continental Congress so they can claim it as part of the US at the peace table.

Very true.

Less certain, but yeah. Although I could see the British offering it at the end of the war to split the colonies.

I don't think the Quebecois Patriot leadership would buy it, immediately after a successful Revolution. They would easily and rightfully see it as an attempt to split the colonies, exposing themselves to the danger of a British return.

Not certain anything more is needed, but its not unreasonable.

Indeed there are no other Quebec-cuddling provisions in my TL's Constitution. And I agree that even that would not be strictly necessary, OTL wornding is more than sufficient to guarantee Quebec's autonomy. It would be one of those "this constitution does not say what it does not say" provisions that get written in to appease constituencies that are suspicious of federal centralization, like the Quebecois.

Yes and no. I don't know that the American State of Quebec will be able to remain quite so pure in its linguistic heritage as the Canadian Province of Quebec was. I think more of Louisiana and the Cajuns in particular....

Well, I agree. My main point was that industrialization and immigration would gradually break the agrarian mold of old Quebec, and reshape it, economically and socially, into a northern version, with some disticnt cultural trappings, of New England and New York. Quebec would become strongly intregrated, economically and socially, with the rest of the industrial-financial North. Just like Upper Canada would become a culturally mixed but socioeconomically fully integrated part of the Midwest.

Maybe, maybe. Hadn't thought about that. Doubt the name Franklin, though.

Well, a common pattern in early US history is that states that held claims to excessively large territories in comparison to the others split them off as a distinct state, albeit one in their mold. I think the pattern would hold as it concerns Quebec and Ontario. As it concerns the name, many are possible, of course. As a matter of fact, in the USAO TL, Ontario gets split in three different states, southern Ontario ("Franklin"), central northern Ontario ("Ottawa"), and western northern Ontario with eastern Manitoba ("Winnipeg"). Of course, butterflies are at hand (long Federalist political dominance ensures rather greater investment is given to infrastructure improvement) that substantially accelerates the pace of Western colonization and increases the settlement in "Canadian" states considerably.

I think there will be a lot more mixed speakers in the first decades of the USA, yes. But there was IOTL as well (French in Maine, German in Pennsylvania, etc.). However, I think English will still be predominant, and I don't think you'd see Quebec making an issue of it, as that might just start to incite the ire of the other states. Then again, I could be wrong.

No, I don't think it shall become an issue, either, also because as I said, powerful social and economic forces shall be at work to smoothen the differences and increase the ties with nearby WASP states.

Well, did they give over Newfoundland and Labrador as well? That would be another site. And maybe even Oregon. The Caribbean will be another locale.

Newfoundland is a distinct possiblity, admittedly one I had not thought of. This might well ensure that the island goes on to be the "rump" of BNA. Labrador might be part of it. Oregon is IMO far too remote, and it was howling wilderness, in 1783, it did not have the skeleton trappings of a colony settlement that OTL Upper Canada, or even ITTL Cape, Australia, NFL had. Which lands do you mean by Caribbean ? Guyana might have the space, Jamaica as far as I know was already relatively heavily crowded.

In my own TL remnants of BNA are rather swiftly killed by later events. Washington is butterflied into a third term, so he kills the Alien and Sedition Acts. The Federalists remain dominant for several decades, so they pour a lot of effort at improving the infrastructure and the military of young America. This ensures that both the Franco-American War and the Second Anglo-American War are decisive Yankee victories (a second Congress of Vienna POD, which causes a three-way war between UK-Austria, Prussia-Russia-Naples, and returning Napoleon, tops British troubles, as they get crushed at Waterloo and the eastern alliance is left the master of the continent).

As a result, Rupert's Land, Louisiana, Labrador, Jamaica, the Guyanas, St. Domingo become US territories. NFL remains British, the Bahamas went American in 1783. Oregon becomes an uneasy UK-US codominium, but a few decades later London sees the futility of trying to defend it against expansion by ever-mightier America, and sells it. Being expelled from North America, the British Empire goes to recoup its losses, besides Asia, in South America. Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, and southern Brazil are seized to make BSA and that's where many of the Loyalists go, the others are scattered between South Africa, Ireland, and Australia. I suppose some might go to NFL, I had simply not thought of the possibility.

Since all these victories have definitely given young America a taste and a sense of mission for Manifest Destiny expansion (and the Iroquois sided with the Patriots ITTL, which means TTL American society becomes rather more tolerant of and willing to assimilate "civilized" Indians and mixed-bloods), they intervene in the wars of independence in South America. As a result, Simon Bolivar and many other South American patriots become pro-USA and lead Gran Colombia and Peru into becoming protectorates, and eventually several states, of the USA.

Glen

If there is no QA then Ontario is a northern extension of the Indian terr. Quebec still ends at Mtl.

Hits forehead in self-mortification

I've looked at that map of pre-Quebec Act Quebec about a hundred times, and I somehow forgot that there was a Southern border there that didn't go down that way!

In that case, I do think that what would become Upper Canada IOTL will be considered part of the Northwest Territory and treated accordingly.

If there is French intervention I can still see them asking for the natural frontier along the lakes... so they will get the Upper country. I mean really its a small strip north of the lakes and the colonies a have the vast expanse between the Appalachians and the Mississippi.

If it were to go back to France, then yes, I tend to agree.

The colonies won't like a major European power in their backyard though, how do you get past that? Either they just have to accept

They let Spain take back Florida, so obviously it wasn't an insurmountable issue.

or you spin Quebec out as an autonomous vassal of the French Crown under its own Duke say, the Duchy of Quebec.

Don't know if it would be necessary, but it would be cool. But I don't think there was any precedent for that, was there? Making a colony a duchy, that is....

let it be the charge of one of the King's brothers ( Dukes of Provence or Artois)

Interesting possibility.

or perhaps say Lafayette after the revolution.

Also interesting.

Come the revolution, and it will probably still occur for many of the same reasons OTL, lack of financial reform being the most prominent but not the only one. It will be a royalist stronghold as most Quebecois viewed the revolution with abhorrence OTL especially after the regicide of the terror.

True.

Glen

Given the PoD, I take it pretty much as granted. ;)

See this. I can easily see Eddy's attempt to bring the Revolution to Nova Scotia be successful, if he's backed by a Patriot Quebec.

However, admittedly in my own TL, I use the further butterfly of Guy Carleton being PO against British rule by its oppressive attitude against Quebec, and joining the Patriots. He's pivotal in swinging Quebec and Nova Scotia in the Rebel fold (and makes another talented Founding Father, besides Arnold that stays loyal to a stronger Revolution).

Thanks for the Eddy reference. I've taken to using in some of my timelines a POD in the mid 1700s where there is increased immigration by Scots to the Nova Scotia region, including several Jacobites, and when Carleton comes to Quebec one of them goes there and assassinates him as revenge by proxy on Cumberland (he was his aide-de-camp). The assassin gets away and the assassination is erroneously blamed on the population of Quebec.

I don't think the Quebecois Patriot leadership would buy it, immediately after a successful Revolution. They would easily and rightfully see it as an attempt to split the colonies, exposing themselves to the danger of a British return.

I was thinking immediately before, but that's okay.

Indeed there are no other Quebec-cuddling provisions in my TL's Constitution. And I agree that even that would not be strictly necessary, OTL wording is more than sufficient to guarantee Quebec's autonomy. It would be one of those "this constitution does not say what it does not say" provisions that get written in to appease constituencies that are suspicious of federal centralization, like the Quebecois.

Fair enough. I'd think the biggest change that might occur is a requirement for all federal documents to be in both English and French (like the Articles of Confederation and later Constitution, for example).

Well, I agree. My main point was that industrialization and immigration would gradually break the agrarian mold of old Quebec, and reshape it, economically and socially, into a northern version, with some distinct cultural trappings, of New England and New York. Quebec would become strongly integrated, economically and socially, with the rest of the industrial-financial North. Just like Upper Canada would become a culturally mixed but socioeconomically fully integrated part of the Midwest.

Agreed.

Well, a common pattern in early US history is that states that held claims to excessively large territories in comparison to the others split them off as a distinct state, albeit one in their mold. I think the pattern would hold as it concerns Quebec and Ontario.

Actually, I believe the initial impetus was to get the states to stop fighting over their conflicting claims to lands west of the Appalachians. The next idea was to make future states that were of equivalent size (not the currently existing ones, which would have been impossible without fractionating or consolidating states to a frightening degree).

However, given the tidbit that I had missed which is that the land that would have become Upper Canada IOTL was not part of Quebec prior to the Quebec Act, then it would have been treated as part of the Northwest Territory, so same difference.

As it concerns the name, many are possible, of course. As a matter of fact, in the USAO TL, Ontario gets split in three different states, southern Ontario ("Franklin"), central northern Ontario ("Ottawa"), and western northern Ontario with eastern Manitoba ("Winnipeg").

Well sure, that makes sense, especially since there never was an Ontario to split ITTL.:D

Of course, butterflies are at hand (long Federalist political dominance ensures rather greater investment is given to infrastructure improvement) that substantially accelerates the pace of Western colonization and increases the settlement in "Canadian" states considerably.

Maybe, though having the choice of where to go in the US may counter that. Take a really close look at population distributions now in Canada and the US, and you can see that the population in Canada is often getting as close to the border as they can without going over it. It's Cold Up There! I think you ought to be looking at OTL Michigan and Ohio as models for your Franklin, and Wisconsin and Minnesota as models for your Ottawa and Winnipeg.

Newfoundland is a distinct possibility, admittedly one I had not thought of. This might well ensure that the island goes on to be the "rump" of BNA. Labrador might be part of it.

True. Then again, if this timeline has a version of the War of 1812, it is entirely possible that that rump gets taken in part or whole.

Oregon is IMO far too remote, and it was howling wilderness, in 1783, it did not have the skeleton trappings of a colony settlement that OTL Upper Canada, or even ITTL Cape, Australia, NFL had.

You are correct, of course. Then again, some of the loyalists will be frontiersmen willing, even eager, to carve out new homesteads in the wilderness. But that will be a handful at best, so you are right. BTW, that's why this was one of the ways I get Loyalists to the Cape in my Yet ANOTHER Draka alternate! timeline.:D;)

Which lands do you mean by Caribbean ? Guyana might have the space, Jamaica as far as I know was already relatively heavily crowded.

Combination, spread them out.

In my own TL remnants of BNA are rather swiftly killed by later events. Washington is butterflied into a third term,

How did you get him to agree to a third term?:eek:

so he kills the Alien and Sedition Acts. The Federalists remain dominant for several decades, so they pour a lot of effort at improving the infrastructure and the military of young America

Okay.

This ensures that both the Franco-American War

XYZ??

and the Second Anglo-American War are decisive Yankee victories

1812 analogue I assume?

(a second Congress of Vienna POD, which causes a three-way war between UK-Austria, Prussia-Russia-Naples, and returning Napoleon, tops British troubles, as they get crushed at Waterloo and the eastern alliance is left the master of the continent).

Weird. Some weird effect of what's going on in North America, butterflies, or a second POD?

As a result, Rupert's Land, Louisiana, Labrador,

Those make sense.

Maybe, but that means we're beating the British on the High Seas. When exactly is the Second Anglo-American War?

the Guyanas,

That is awfully far for the US to be straying. I'd more believe kicking the Brits out of Belize for example.

St. Domingo become US territories.

Okay.

NFL remains British,

I have a hard time seeing Americans in Guyana but not Newfoundland.

the Bahamas went American in 1783.

Okay. That seems a bit better than our own ARW without a clear reason.

Oregon becomes an uneasy UK-US codominium, but a few decades later London sees the futility of trying to defend it against expansion by ever-mightier America, and sells it.

Okay.

Being expelled from North America, the British Empire goes to recoup its losses, besides Asia, in South America. Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, and southern Brazil are seized to make BSA and that's where many of the Loyalists go,

That seems a bit extreme, and if you're doing it for loyalists, early.
the others are scattered between South Africa, Ireland, and Australia.

That makes sense.

I suppose some might go to NFL, I had simply not thought of the possibility.

If its there, some would go.

Since all these victories have definitely given young America a taste and a sense of mission for Manifest Destiny expansion (and the Iroquois sided with the Patriots ITTL, which means TTL American society becomes rather more tolerant of and willing to assimilate "civilized" Indians and mixed-bloods),

I wish I believed it were that simple to get a more peaceful clash of civilizations....

they intervene in the wars of independence in South America. As a result, Simon Bolivar and many other South American patriots become pro-USA

Cool

and lead Gran Colombia and Peru into becoming protectorates, and eventually several states, of the USA.

That seems unlikely, but more likely with Quebec in the Union as they have at least one Romance Speaking Catholic predominant state as a role model.

sent delegations to the Continental Congress and had some level of rebellion in their areas, leading to their inclusion in the USA in the Treaty of Paris in 1783.
?would there be a treaty of 1783? ?Perhaps a treaty of 1781?
I see a Neutral [or rebel] Quebec shortening the War.
The question then becomes -did it end before Spain entered in 1780? If so then Florida comes US in the Treaty.

Glen

Good point.

The question then becomes -did it end before Spain entered in 1780? If so then Florida comes US in the Treaty.

That would be nice....have to think about that one....when did France enter the war again?

Eurofed

Banned
Thanks for the Eddy reference.

Be my guest. :)

I've taken to using in some of my timelines a POD in the mid 1700s where there is increased immigration by Scots to the Nova Scotia region, including several Jacobites, and when Carleton comes to Quebec one of them goes there and assassinates him as revenge by proxy on Cumberland (he was his aide-de-camp). The assassin gets away and the assassination is erroneously blamed on the population of Quebec.

Well, this is another possibility. I mostly used the butterfly of Carleton going Patriot because I fancied Canadians getting an OTL well-known figure as their own representative in the Founding Fathers pantheon (although there would also be some unnamed Quebecois figures). Besides, I fancied the idea of Washington, Arnold, and Carleton becoming the military luminaries triumvirate among the Founding Fathers.

Fair enough. I'd think the biggest change that might occur is a requirement for all federal documents to be in both English and French (like the Articles of Confederation and later Constitution, for example).

Quite likely. :cool: And most likely, Spanish would be added later, when the Hispanic states join as well. However, I assume it would be a statute requirement, and would not be written in the Constitution itself.

Actually, I believe the initial impetus was to get the states to stop fighting over their conflicting claims to lands west of the Appalachians. The next idea was to make future states that were of equivalent size (not the currently existing ones, which would have been impossible without fractionating or consolidating states to a frightening degree).

However, given the tidbit that I had missed which is that the land that would have become Upper Canada IOTL was not part of Quebec prior to the Quebec Act, then it would have been treated as part of the Northwest Territory, so same difference.

So very true. :D

Maybe, though having the choice of where to go in the US may counter that. Take a really close look at population distributions now in Canada and the US, and you can see that the population in Canada is often getting as close to the border as they can without going over it. It's Cold Up There! I think you ought to be looking at OTL Michigan and Ohio as models for your Franklin, and Wisconsin and Minnesota as models for your Ottawa and Winnipeg.

Indeed I do. You see, the settlement pattern of Northern states in my TL continues with "Carleton" (OTL western Manitoba and eastern Saskatchewan), "Washington" (OTL BC, OTL Oregon and Washington become "Jefferson", Western states get somewhat consolidated ITTL, in a way similar to the 38-states model, even if Texas is split in 4, and California and Florida in 2, for pre-ACW political reasons) and "Buffalo" (western Saskatchewan and Alberta), but all those states have their upper boundary at the 55° Parallel North (southern boundary of Alaska). And they becomes close copies of their southern neighbors. The other Canadian states that have a border with the territories, such as Quebec, Ottawa, and Winnipeg, get it raised to that level as well. The rest remains a territory for a long, long time.

The only other main divergence is that eastern Quebec (east of Maine) becomes its own separate state (East Quebec). Acadia remains a part of Nova Scotia up to the ACW, then splits away (altough if I ever were to write a revision, I'd make it happen at the same time as Maine).

The main effect of ITTL improved colonization of the West on this is that "Canadian" states get settled and achieve statehood at much the same pace as their southern neighbors.

True. Then again, if this timeline has a version of the War of 1812, it is entirely possible that that rump gets taken in part or whole.

Very true. And indeed, in my TL, there is an equivalent of this war, and in its aftermath, BNA is shrunken down to NFL, Vancouver Island, and a temporary codominium of the Pacific Northwest.

You are correct, of course. Then again, some of the loyalists will be frontiersmen willing, even eager, to carve out new homesteads in the wilderness. But that will be a handful at best, so you are right. BTW, that's why this was one of the ways I get Loyalists to the Cape in my Yet ANOTHER Draka alternate! timeline.:D;)

Yup. However, you see, wherever the dastardly UEL settle in my TL, it shall not avail them much in the very long term. ITTL America's destiny is to gradually swallow all British Dominions and the Americas and grow to resemble 1984's Oceania (minus the British Isles and India). Ever-stronger America keeps a strategic rivalry with Britain, which ensures that the once-proud British Empire is doomed to face its eventual Gotterdammerung at US hands (with a little help from the Euro allies, of course). :D:cool:;)

Combination, spread them out.

OK. Fine ITTL. However in my TL, they would have scarcely the time to unpack, before they have to move again, since the 2nd Anglo-American War is looming.

How did you get him to agree to a third term?:eek:

A butterfly from the Quasi-War becoming a declared full-fledged Franco-American war, which convinces George that as a former military commander, he is most fit to be a (post-)war president and he yet cannot abandon the helm.

Exactly. However, ITTL the young Republic is more self-confident and proud, so they go all the way to declaring war to France. With a good Army and Navy, and France distracted by the wars in Europe and its own domestic problems, they quickly beat down the cheese-munchers and seize the French Caribbean. Lousiana Purchase becomes part of the aftermath (France relizes it cannot hold possessions in NA against American hostility), only ITTL Hispaniola becomes part of it. The Haiti half of the island goes through a rather complex shift between Black revolutionaries, French, and Americans, the outcome is that a largely depopulated Haiti eventually goes to America, and the South rebuilds it in its image. Much like Canada becomes a culturally distinct extension of the North, so Jamaica, St. Domingo, and the Guyanas become extensions of the South.

1812 analogue I assume?

Yes, with the difference that ITTL Rupert's Land plays the role that OTL Canada did as a war aim. However, with the very good Army fostered by the Federalist Administration, and the superior strategic position given by American Canada, the US are able to kick the British off the NA mainland and resist all their attempts to land rather effectively (ITTL Washington doesn't burn, they make a successful last stand in the outskirts).

Weird. Some weird effect of what's going on in North America, butterflies, or a second POD?

Second PoD. It ensures that Britain is fatally overextended between Europe and North America (and Patagonia), so when news of defeat at Waterloo and in North America reach Londom, British will to fight collapses and they concede an unfavorable peace. Moreover, it starts Europe down the very long term path of continental consolidation under a Italo-German-Russian hegemony (the "Eurasia" to America's "Oceania").

Maybe, but that means we're beating the British on the High Seas. When exactly is the Second Anglo-American War?

On schedule, 1812-1816. However, you have to remind that even OTL, American Navy was close to qualitatively superior, ship-by-ship, to British one. It was only that bloody Jeffersonians left it terribly undersized. ITTL the Federalist Administrations have spent a couple decades building it up, so, with Britain fatally overextended between Europe and NA, the US are able to seize naval parity in the Caribbean. Therefore, their landings and efforts to supply their forces in Jamaica and Guyana succeed. It's not like everything goes well for America, however: their landings in Trinidad and Cuba fail, and the British land in Haiti (lathough it is won back at the peace table). I suppose I could have written a failed attempt to seize NFL as well, but it escaped me at the time.

That is awfully far for the US to be straying. I'd more believe kicking the Brits out of Belize for example.

Well, the alliance between the USA and the Bolivar cadre of revolutionaries in Gran Colombia is already in effect during the war of 1812, so the Americans are attacking there to connect with their allies and get their support in turn.

In practice, America is fighting the War of 1812 and its intervention in the Wars of Independence of South America (within limits; they are best buddies with Bolivar, but events in Mexico unfold largely out their influence, which is why they still have to fight the Mexican-American War decades later) at once. On its part, Britain is fighting the War of 1812, the Napoleonic Wars, with their all-important tail-end three-way match between Russia-Prussia-Naples, UK-Austria, and Two Hundred Days Napoleon, and the conquest of Patagonia, which makes them swing between being allies and enemies of Spanish colonial administration in South America. And newborn Brazil plays a minor role as well.

The final result, when dust settles, is that America annexes Rupert’s Land, North-Western Territory, Labrador, Jamaica, the Guianas, and keeps Hispaniola. Britain and Spain recognize US suzerainty over Florida and the independence of Gran Colombia and Peru as US protectorates (going to get statehood in a couple decades), and the USA recognize British suzerainty over NFL, Rio de la Plata, and Chile (which britain has been grabbing piecemeal from Spain over the last decade). US diplomats fail to gain Cuba, Puerto Rico, Newfoundland, the rest of the British West Indies, at the treaty table. USA and Britain agree to “joint occupancy” of Pacific Northwest and restore normal trade relations. Britain pledges to end impressment of US citizens.

The outcome in Europe is even more complex and a radical divergence from OTL, but it may be basically boiled down to: Napoleon kicks British butt, Russia-Prussia-Naples curbstomp Austria, later eventually vanquish Napoleon with superior numbers. Exhausted Britain concedes victory to America and the Eastern alliance, turns to Asia and South America to rebuild its empire. France suffers territorial losses, but keeps Napoleon II on the throne. Austria is kicked out of Germany, Bohemia, and Italy, and is headed to collapse in a couple decades. Russia gets free hands in the Balkans and kicks the Ottomans out of Europe. Grossdeutchsland and Italy are headed to unify under Prussian and Murattian Neapolitan leadership within a couple decades. Russia, Germany, Italy, and France become conservative liberal constitutional monarchies, as does Spain later.

I have a hard time seeing Americans in Guyana but not Newfoundland.

Well, Britain bargains to keep NFL and Vancouver Island, and (eventually temporary) co-ownership of the Pacfic Northwest as face-saving valuable economic outposts. America is very satisfied at having kicked the Redcoats almost entirely out the NA mainland and most of the Caribbean, not to mention seizing an empire in one-third of South America, they don't want to push their luck further. They figure that if they really want, they can always kick the British out of NFL later, when they have rested and built up their strength further. The most important thing is that they have secured all NA but Mexico (for now) as a free playground for their settlers, even if the SA protectorates are very nice, too. They (accurately) figure they can easily kick out the British out of Oregon-Columbia later, if London becomes unreasonable (i.e. it doesn't agree to graciously sell the territory when Yankee settlers begin swamping it, too), but that UK shall most likely see the futility of fighting again for it.

As it concerns preferring Guyana to NFL, well, it is mostly the effect of the growing ties with South America.

In the years immediately before the War of 1812, a "continentalist" proto-Manifest Destiny opinion movement develops in the USA that supports the forceful expulsion of all remaining colonial empires from the Americas and the union of all its inhabitants under the American model. Strong partecipation of Catholic French-speakers in the ARW means that the American public feels much more sympathetic at spreading its Revolution, and eventually sharing the bed with, the Latin American colonies. Both because of this, and because the Iroquois were patriots too, there is much less racism towards the South Americans as well.

Simon Bolivar travels to the USA with a group of followers. They are greately impressed by the freedom and prosperity that US citizens enjoy and vow to bring the benefits of the "American experiment" to their land. Bolivar gathers monetary and weapon support for the cause of pro-US Spanish-American independence from US government officials and sympathetic private citizens.

The movement takes a definite anti-British and anti-Spanish slant, and many Congressmen (the "War Hawks") are elected as supporters of war against British and Spanish colonial rule in the Americas. The volunteer "American Legion" militia gathers to support the cause. Simon Bolivar returns to New Granada with a cadre of US and creole volunteers and starts his own revolution with ample US support.

Okay. That seems a bit better than our own ARW without a clear reason.

The ARW unfolds somewhat better than OTL for the Patriots because they have Canada and the Iroquois tribes on their side. E.g. they get Halifax early on. Although the British reconquer it and New York later, they soon lose them again. They lose more ground from Canada to the South faster, and are more hard-pressed over a larger front, so they start negotiations in 1779 and sign the peace treaty in 1781.

That seems a bit extreme, and if you're doing it for loyalists, early.

Well, no, serious British expansion in Rio de la Plata starts in 1804-1805. The loss of Canada butterflies half-assed OTL British encroachement in the region into a more serious attempt to rebuild an empire far from the purview of the bloody Colonials. It is not the only butterfly, by the way, that results from being kicked in the Americans: e.g. later they grab western Indonesia from the Dutch, and get more serious about colonization of China.

As you say, Loyalists get scattered in various UK colonies, but when British South America is seized and opened up, several redirect there.

If its there, some would go.

Well, this may be a reason why Britain strives to keep NFL in 1816.

I wish I believed it were that simple to get a more peaceful clash of civilizations....

Nothing is ever entirely simple, but butterflies matter. Patriot Iroquois mean that American culture develops a template in its formative years for "friendly, civilized" Indians as part of their society. Basically, anti-Indian racism swings from being blood-based to being cultural and economical. The idea is that if an Indian accepts American civilization and way of life, and shares the goods with American settlers, he is worthy a place in the American experiment, albeit perhaps not full equality (that needs to wait for the post-ACW destruction of Southern racism).

Therefore, "civilized" tribes that accept to farm the land, adopt American culture, and, optimally, become Christian (or a plausible fake), and share valuable lands with US settlers, are deemed second-class citizens, but citizens all the same, worthy assimilation and not extermination. Make no mistake, "savage" tribes that forcefully resist assimilation and American colonization, and stubbornly cling to their traditional lifestyle, are seen and treated just as bad as OTL, perhaps even more so. This means e.g. that the Civilized Tribes are spared the Trail of Tears and are assimilated in place, except the Seminoles that pick a feud with the American government because of their anti-slavery attitudes (most unfortunately, a few decades too early) and are largely exterminated. For the other tribes, it is a piecemeal pattern, several get assimilation, some are wiped out in blood and fire. But this also means that the American public has not so many blood-based racist qualms about political unity with the culturally assimilated Hispanics (especially their elites).

That seems unlikely, but more likely with Quebec in the Union as they have at least one Romance Speaking Catholic predominant state as a role model.

That, and ther fact that Yankees are nowhere so disdainful as OTL towards Latin Americans, and the fact that the USA pour a lot of assistance to their fight for independence, so they get to be seen as liberators and "elder brethen" role models, not imperialist oppressors. Add a couple decades of growing political and economic ties under the protectorate system, and familiarity with US culture and political system, and the Latin American states eagerly vote themselves into statehood. Also the fact that Simon Bolivar practically gets adopted by American culture as "the last Founding Father" helps.

Eurofed

Banned

Well, I don't really believe in TTL loyalist/neutral Quebec, given the PoD I totally see it going all the way to rebel, but yes, its partecipation shortens the war considerably. The British now are forced to spread out from Canada to Georgia, lack a reliable foothold on the continent, the Patriots have more resources and more strategic depth, likely they gain/keep ground faster and better while the British are more hard-pressed and overextended to keep/regain theirs. In my own TL, I estimated that they give up and accept negotiations in 1779, and sign a peace treaty in 1781.

IOTL, France joined in February 1778 (although they wwere sending supplies since 1776) and Spain in June 1779. So theoretically Patriot Quebec may keep them out of the war. OTOH, if the Rebels look stronger, both France and PSain may be easily motivated to join the war earlier than OTL. E.g. in my TL, France joins in 1777 and Spain in 1778.

Glen

Well, I don't really believe ITTL loyalist/neutral Quebec, given the PoD I totally see it going all the way to rebel, but yes, its participation shortens the war considerably. The British now are forced to spread out from Canada to Georgia, lack a reliable foothold on the continent, the Patriots have more resources and more strategic depth, likely they gain/keep ground faster and better while the British are more hard-pressed and overextended to keep/regain theirs. In my own TL, I estimated that they give up and accept negotiations in 1779, and sign a peace treaty in 1781.

For my self, I think more likely 1780 negotiations, treaty in 1781. That would still make it too soon for the Spanish to get in on the act. But would we see a Patriot Florida or Britain retaining Florida? Perhaps as someplace to put Southern Loyalists?

Possibly split the difference with America getting West Florida and Britain retaining East Florida?

IOTL, France joined in February 1778 (although they were sending supplies since 1776) and Spain in June 1779. So theoretically Patriot Quebec may keep them out of the war. OTOH, if the Rebels look stronger, both France and Spain may be easily motivated to join the war earlier than OTL. E.g. in my TL, France joins in 1777 and Spain in 1778.

Good point.

Eurofed

Banned
Do you ever get this feeling of de ja vu?

A lot of time, but some AH topics simply get endlessly reincarnated. Any major and obvious PoD related to ARW, Napoleon, ACW, WWI, and WWII are the most typical offenders.

Glen

A lot of time, but some AH topics simply get endlessly reincarnated. Any major and obvious PoD related to ARW, Napoleon, ACW, WWI, and WWII are the most typical offenders.

Yep, this is a truism - though some do it better than others...

Glen

This one is stuck between massive number of old Turtledove threads, so I think I'll bump it for easier reference for later use (forgive the thread necromancy, please).