WI no Fantastic Renaissance?

In the mid century, many literary scholars argued that children did not need fantasy stories, that children should be reading realistic fiction instead. There were some who opposed it, even argued it in journals. Most notably, it was CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien who championed children's fantasy, even putting forward their own works.

What if they agreed with the cause, and Narnia and Lord of the Rings were never published. What would life be like a half century on without their cultural impact. One thing is for sure, that without children's fantasy fostering imagination, there would be no more adult fantasy. Those seeking inspiration, would have to still look back to the Victorian age, perhaps to the works of George McDonald and Lewis Carroll, and even further, to Charles Perrault and to the Brothers Grimm.

I have a feeling that there would be a change in theology as well, as much of Lewis's work had came from heated discussion with Barfield, Dyson and Tolkien over myths and lies. Lewis eventually came to the opinion that myth was a vehicle in which truth is conveyed. It made it ok to accept the more fantastic elements of Jewish and Christian tradition in the face of empirical sciences. I could foresee a more liberal Christianity where the "Historical Jesus" movement gains a greater foothold in Christian theology.

I feel that writing would be taken out of the realm of the educated and into the realm of the laity a lot sooner, sure there would still be barriers such as access to technology and knowledge of publishers. But Fantasy would be left as an empty niche and practically a blue ocean. It would become a genre where "anyone can write".

There would certainly be adult fantasy without the Inklings. At least on this side of the Atlantic, authors like H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard and Fritz Leiber were writing reams of sword-and-sorcery in the 1930s, before The Hobbit was even published.