WI:No Edgar Rice Burroughs

mojojojo

Gone Fishin'
What if Edgar Rice Burroughs died at birth. His work was very influential in Science-Fiction, Fantasy and adventure stories. His character Tarzan is one of the most filmed literary characters ever. What impact would no Edgar Rice Burroughs have on fiction,films and other areas?

What if Edgar Rice Burroughs died at birth. His work was very influential in Science-Fiction, Fantasy and adventure stories. His character Tarzan is one of the most filmed literary characters ever. What impact would no Edgar Rice Burroughs have on fiction,films and other areas?

Tarzan might not be missed as much as you might think. Mowgli predates him, and sets a standard for the "wild man" genre.

However, I suspect we wouldn't see as much sword and blaster fic. (I like S&B, but it is a bit absurd, and out of favor). Besides, the first three Gor books are pastiches/homages to John Carter. Where would we be without Gor? :p

Much better off. I tried to read the gor books once, sexism and dodgy BDSM aside it's badly written boring crap and I gave up after the first book.

As to john Carter, well without barsoom we might not get Flash Gordon later on, no Flash means nothing for Lucas to try and get the rights for, fail and go and make his own film. I suppose he might be inspired by Buck Rogers, but thats got sword and planet elements as well, and might be butterflyed.

Without ERB to start the pulp sci fi tradition SF, we might see Sf remain the sole playgound of serious authors like Wells. So more message and high brow, probably more respected, but a lot less fun.

No Tarzan will at least delay jungle fiction, and I think ERB did the first jungle girl story as well, so Shenna queen of the jungle, (the first comic with a female action lead, years before wonder woman) might get butterflied as well.

Also no Dejah Thoris, so the whole trope of scanty clad princesses never gets started.

Last edited:
Much better off. I tried to read the gor books once, sexism and dodgy BDSM aside it's badly written boring crap and I gave up after the first book.

Loves to bash me some John Norman, me does. As I said many times before, I discovered Gor as a teen. There is a truly *special* quality to one's writing when shy, lonely teenage boys flip through the "good stuff" to get on with the story. :eek:

That said, the thing that people hated about Gor was actually true to life. In the iron age, the women of a conquered city were booty in both senses of the word. A lot of people hated that.

As to john Carter, well without barsoom we might not get Flash Gordon later on, no Flash means nothing for Lucas to try and get the rights for, fail and go and make his own film. I suppose he might be inspired by Buck Rogers, but thats got sword and planet elements as well, and might be butterflyed.

Without ERB to start the pulp sci fi tradition SF, we might see Sf remain the sole playgound of serious authors like Wells. So more message and high brow, probably more respected, but a lot less fun.

No Tarzan will at least delay jungle fiction, and I think ERB did the first jungle girl story as well, so Shenna queen of the jungle, (the first comic with a female action lead, years before wonder woman) might get butterflied as well.

Also no Dejah Thoris, so the whole trope of scanty clad princesses never gets started.

Serious lack of a Crying Smiley on the boards. :(

On that subject, one wonders how the lack of Tarzan and His Mate would effect the Hays Code. Partly because the movie was cosmopolitan. Yes folks, even in the 30's women entered into long term physical relationships without benefit of clergy.:rolleyes: Partly because O'Sullivan's costume was a split micro mini -sans panties- and many of her scenes were filmed from a worm's eye view. (One wonders how many "out take" shots and stills would up in private collections during filming) :cool:

I think the hays code was a bit more than just the one movie pre hays hollywood was pushing hard in areas like sex and violence it wouldn't reach again until the late 60's. Sadly the 'morals' lobby was a lot more powerful in the 30's and hollywood got its teeth pulled.

Still what were they expecting a missionary to show up just at the right moment to marry the heroes?

Also not to nitpick but this is pre 1900, ERB was born long before the turn of the century.

No Edgar Rice Burroughs ?

it would be sad, with non Tarzan or Barsoom stories.
but it would delay things, other Authors will come with similar Ideas.
like Rima the Jungle Girl by W. H. Hudson's, in 1904.
but would this influence future Generations ?
because Burroughs had the talent to tell great story.

Barsoom was role model for Sf writer after Burroughs !
Can you imagine Bradbury "The Martian Chronicles" influenced by "A Martian Odyssey" by Stanley G. Weinbaum ?
or the DEN comic by Ricard Corben, not influenced by Barsoom stories ?
or the entire career of Sf writer Philip José Farmer ?
the Sci-fi of to day would very different of that were Edgar Rice Burroughs live.
Also with a big inpact on Hollywood movies

Last edited: