WI Nixon won Presidency in 1960?

I don't like the crook at all, but what if Nixon won the 1960 elections? Lets say that Lyndon Johnson is not Kennedy's running mate, and Texas, North Carolina, Missouri, New Mexico, Minnesota, and Nevada go for Nixon. What happes to segregation in The South as an effect? What happens to American Politics? Does Nixon get killed by the zero-year curse?

Hendryk

Banned
In "Superpower Empire", the butterflies from the POD have altered domestic American politics to the point where Nixon does win the 1960 election, which was a close call anyway. Ironically, this leads to John Kennedy only living two years longer than in OTL, as complications from Addison's Disease claim his life in 1965. As for Nixon, he remains a one-term president, losing to Democratic challenger Eugene McCarthy in 1964.

I have yet to explore how that influences developments such as the civil rights struggle.

You can probably expect this:

mushroom-cloud.jpg

Nikephoros

Banned
You can probably expect this:

mushroom-cloud.jpg

I seriously doubt that this would happen. Back in that timeframe, the Republicans were not the interventionists they are today. For example, Eisenhower won the election by promising to end the Korean conflict. Besides, the first major commitment of forces to Vietnam was done by a Democrat named Kennedy, and we all know how that turned out. Also, Kennedy also pushed for Bay of Pigs.

I just don't see it in Nixon to even begin to match JFK's record in starting military conflicts

Hendryk

Banned
I seriously doubt that this would happen. Back in that timeframe, the Republicans were not the interventionists they are today. For example, Eisenhower won the election by promising to end the Korean conflict. Besides, the first major commitment of forces to Vietnam was done by a Democrat named Kennedy, and we all know how that turned out. Also, Kennedy also pushed for Bay of Pigs.
Seconded. In my TL Nixon handled the challenges of the early 1960s with relatively efficient pragmatism: for example, he defused the Cuban missile crisis by negotiating with Khrushchev a removal of the missiles in exchange for the US accepting the Berlin Wall--a cynical but constructive deal that went down in history as the Berlin-Havana Tradeoff.

If elected in 1960, I think the counter-culture movement could have been avoided. I honestly doubt Nixon would have made War on Vietnam or at least in the same way Kennedy and Johnson did. He'd probably only send aid to the south with supplies and advice at most.

One of two things would have happened

1) Nixon gives the Cuban exiles a blank cheque- he 'wins' in Cuba in the way that GW Bush won in Iraq. Cuba is 'Vietnam' only years earlier

2) Events in Cuba happen roughly as in OTL. Nixon however will order other actions including an invasion. The Soviet and Cuban forces will use tactical nuclear weapons.

Tens of milions of people- especially in europe will be dead.

I didn't comment in that thread? Shocking.

Oh well, Nicomacheus and I agree most of the time anyway.

Anyway, yeah, just think of Eisenhower's low key terms if you want to think of 1960 Nixon. Maybe some action on civil rights, maybe some South Vietnamese support, but overall quiet and sleepy but with a growing edge.

At some point—1964 Nixon defeat, 1968 new shiny candidate, something—America is going to wake up and realize that problems are afoot but I think President Nixon of the '60s will keep the domestic scene down low and stick to foreign affairs (much as he did IOTL, but ITTL he'll have the quiet '50s America to work with instead of the woken up/falling apart late '60s America).

Nixon wins in 1960

He nearly did but for Mayor Daley.With Henry Cabot Lodge as Vice President we may well have seen a softer foreign policy than Kennedy's. There would have been no "no price is too great" approach. Maybe no Bay of Pigs and no special forces in Vietnam. Possibly no Cuban missile crisis as the Soviets would be less liklely to try it on and in the event of one a compromise a bit more open than Kennedy's. However he would be under pressure in 1964 in the primaries from Barry Goldwater but would probably win.

The democrats would possibly go for Pat Brown and lose. Lyndon Johnson may well have pushed throuigh civil rights legisaltion as senate majority leader to his cost in the 64 primaries.

The curse? Nixon didn't as far as we know owe the Mafia any favours so couldn't double cross them. Guys like Nixon die in their beds so the curse or whatever may have been lifted. Nixon may well have even contemplated some form of medicare. He was thinking of some kind of social medicine in 1973. By 1968 the democrats may have been back in power maybe Bobby Kennedy would take over from JFK. Nixon may have bneen a crook but he wasn't a warmonger

I didn't comment in that thread? Shocking.

Oh well, Nicomacheus and I agree most of the time anyway.

Shocking indeed.

Anyway, yeah, just think of Eisenhower's low key terms if you want to think of 1960 Nixon. Maybe some action on civil rights, maybe some South Vietnamese support, but overall quiet and sleepy but with a growing edge.

At some point—1964 Nixon defeat, 1968 new shiny candidate, something—America is going to wake up and realize that problems are afoot but I think President Nixon of the '60s will keep the domestic scene down low and stick to foreign affairs (much as he did IOTL, but ITTL he'll have the quiet '50s America to work with instead of the woken up/falling apart late '60s America).

Overall, I agree. You seem to suggest Nixon loses in 1964; I don't see that as necessary. It all depends on how he manages Civil Rights, I think, becuase that will affect how unified the Democrats can be. The outcome of the Bay of Pigs / Cuban Revolution is also crucial, but I think Nixon sticks to low-key involvement. Someone made what is probably a fairly good suggestion about a Berlin-Havana deal that probably resolves the tension pretty well. In this case, Nixon has managed foreign affairs well: the Democrats can attack by attempting to outflank him on assertive foreign policy (which is almost what JFK did with the Bomber Gap), but I doubt it works.

1968 is probably another matter since the Republicans may be divided internally between folks like Goldwater (who may have some kind of Cabinet role in an earlier Nixon White House) and Rockefeller. Likely outcome, IMO, is a Goldwater-Rockefeller ticket, though I'm probably missing some obvious candidates. Since Nixon's Civil Rights effort will be more moderate and muted than Johnson's, I'd expect that a Henry Wallace like campaign won't get as much support as it did OTL. However, the Democrats will have a harsh battle between conservative Southerners and liberal northeast union types. If they can keep a Wallace like candidate from emerging, the Democrats probably have a chance: if so, they probably need to blunt further efforts for civil rights. You'd need someone like Johnson, but Johnson himself is too old in 1968: support for the status quo on civil rights, but distracting the Party with a big new welfare push, unifying poor southern whites and union votes.

He nearly did but for Mayor Daley.

Seriously folks: yes, Mayor Daley stole the state of Illinois for Kennedy. Winning Illinois would not have given Nixon the Presidency.

Yes, Johnson had dead people vote in Texas, no he did have not as many as the margin of victory was—Johnson was quite popular in his home state, and the state Democratic Party went all out.

You seem to suggest Nixon loses in 1964; I don't see that as necessary.

I was unclear: I meant that either in 1964 with a Nixon defeat or in 1968 with a Republican defeat the country is going to wake up. 1968 is more likely, but of course it depends on events of the first term.

It all depends on how he manages Civil Rights, I think, becuase that will affect how unified the Democrats can be. The outcome of the Bay of Pigs / Cuban Revolution is also crucial, but I think Nixon sticks to low-key involvement. Someone made what is probably a fairly good suggestion about a Berlin-Havana deal that probably resolves the tension pretty well. In this case, Nixon has managed foreign affairs well: the Democrats can attack by attempting to outflank him on assertive foreign policy (which is almost what JFK did with the Bomber Gap), but I doubt it works.

He'll manage Civil Rights the same way Eisenhower did, I imagine: as little as possible for as long as possible. Neither white backlash nor black protests & riots will be big enough in his first term to effect anything.

The anti-communist Democratic line may alter where neoconservatives end up, and avoiding McGovern keeps the Democrats competitive on the national security question.

1968 is probably another matter since the Republicans may be divided internally between folks like Goldwater (who may have some kind of Cabinet role in an earlier Nixon White House) and Rockefeller. Likely outcome, IMO, is a Goldwater-Rockefeller ticket, though I'm probably missing some obvious candidates. Since Nixon's Civil Rights effort will be more moderate and muted than Johnson's, I'd expect that a Henry Wallace like campaign won't get as much support as it did OTL. However, the Democrats will have a harsh battle between conservative Southerners and liberal northeast union types. If they can keep a Wallace like candidate from emerging, the Democrats probably have a chance: if so, they probably need to blunt further efforts for civil rights. You'd need someone like Johnson, but Johnson himself is too old in 1968: support for the status quo on civil rights, but distracting the Party with a big new welfare push, unifying poor southern whites and union votes.

Goldwater hated Rockefeller for the 1960 Rockefeller imposed on Nixon Civil Rights plank, and I doubt Rockefeller would accept the VP slot. Likely result is OTL 1964 redux. And Goldwater the nominee gives the Democrats a very good chance. (You're not missing obvious candidates simply because Goldwater and Rockefeller overshadow all other contenders by a great deal. Without Nixon, there was no comparable moderate or Ford/Dole style midwest conservative to win up the middle.)

(I assume you mean George Wallace :) Yeah, he won't have the same impact. He might well run, in the Southern political parlance of "once to get known, second to win" as he originally planned IOTL. It's more likely he'll run if Nixon made some kind of move, even a smaller one, on civil rights in his second term.

On the other hand a Goldwater ticket means Wallace running actually helps the Democrats, as Goldwater in '68 will take the South from the Democratic Party—or least everything but Texas and maybe 1-2 other states. Wallace means the Deep South, or half or it, will not be Republican.

For the Democrats, I'm not sure who the candidates are. It depends on who Nixon knocks down in 1964 (Johnson? Humphrey?) and what other key figures do with their time—Humphrey, RFK, and so forth.

I quite like Senator Stephen M. Young (D-Ohio) and he won re-election in 1964, but he's probably not a winner.

Scoop Jackson might be the leading candidate. Hawk to counter Goldwater, but liberal in other areas.

Governor Connally of Texas as the Johnson replacement?

He'll manage Civil Rights the same way Eisenhower did, I imagine: as little as possible for as long as possible. Neither white backlash nor black protests & riots will be big enough in his first term to effect anything.

I agree, but I think this means he has to keep advancing the issue. The more he does so, the more it will divide the Democrats. Plus Nixon was a very savvy politician: in 1956 Eisenhower got a huge black turnout. The combination of an issue that might win new voters while simultaneous acting to drive a wedge in the Democrats may prove quite tempting. However, 1960s Nixon may have the room to allow his personal prejudice to influence his stance (though not his rhetoric).

Goldwater hated Rockefeller for the 1960 Rockefeller imposed on Nixon Civil Rights plank, and I doubt Rockefeller would accept the VP slot. Likely result is OTL 1964 redux. And Goldwater the nominee gives the Democrats a very good chance. (You're not missing obvious candidates simply because Goldwater and Rockefeller overshadow all other contenders by a great deal. Without Nixon, there was no comparable moderate or Ford/Dole style midwest conservative to win up the middle.)

Yes, I always forget that.

(I assume you mean George Wallace :) Yeah, he won't have the same impact. He might well run, in the Southern political parlance of "once to get known, second to win" as he originally planned IOTL. It's more likely he'll run if Nixon made some kind of move, even a smaller one, on civil rights in his second term.

Argh, gosh darn Wallaces. Names so similar, policies so distant.

On the other hand a Goldwater ticket means Wallace running actually helps the Democrats, as Goldwater in '68 will take the South from the Democratic Party—or least everything but Texas and maybe 1-2 other states. Wallace means the Deep South, or half or it, will not be Republican.

I must not be following. Are you saying that if Wallace runs as an third party, the Democrats do better? I'd say it depends on the Midwest and California, the latter helped Nixon to win and the former is where Wallace's American Party had the biggest spoiler effect. Without the Vietnam war however, the Democrats may have enough of a latent following of farmers + unionmen to pull it off.

The anti-communist Democratic line may alter where neoconservatives end up, and avoiding McGovern keeps the Democrats competitive on the national security question.

For the Democrats, I'm not sure who the candidates are. It depends on who Nixon knocks down in 1964 (Johnson? Humphrey?) and what other key figures do with their time—Humphrey, RFK, and so forth.

I quite like Senator Stephen M. Young (D-Ohio) and he won re-election in 1964, but he's probably not a winner.

Scoop Jackson might be the leading candidate. Hawk to counter Goldwater, but liberal in other areas.

Governor Connally of Texas as the Johnson replacement?

The most interesting thing, IMO, is if you can manage to get neocons to find a home in the Democrats and so keep the South from completely switching to be solid Republican. The very essence of liberal v. conservative is probably different.

A Jackson-Humphrey ticket in 1968 perhaps?

Remember that if Nixon win in 60 and 64,repubblicans have the White House for 16 years.
So a democratic victory in 1968 is very probable.
The names? well,i think Humphrey,or Johnson.
RFK maybe as VP.

Nikephoros

Banned
If Nixon won the Presidency and avoided Vietnam, there is likely no counter-culture, which would lead to their being no Neo-Cons

A missed oportunity it seems. The Republicans at the time would not have started Vietnam, and much of the 60s would have been voided.
Damn, I love Nixon.

I agree, but I think this means he has to keep advancing the issue. The more he does so, the more it will divide the Democrats. Plus Nixon was a very savvy politician: in 1956 Eisenhower got a huge black turnout. The combination of an issue that might win new voters while simultaneous acting to drive a wedge in the Democrats may prove quite tempting. However, 1960s Nixon may have the room to allow his personal prejudice to influence his stance (though not his rhetoric).

It's hard to know. OTL Nixon saw his job as managing the decline of American power. Domestically he just did whatever in order to win (Nixon was more liberal than Clinton, say, let alone the current Republican Party) and he saw an oppourtunity to lock the South up.

I imagine his main 1964 goal is to really transition the South to the Republicans, but he also would like to drive down Democratic black support outside the South (inside it doesn't matter, and Southern blacks will understand Nixon's appeal to racist southerners).

Some kind of civil rights that seems impressive but actually doesn't matter? Voting rights, for instance, in the South doesn't matter because it just drives white turn-out high enough to drown out the minority black Democratic vote.

Even better Congress is probably Democratic so Nixon can take credit for it the North, and rail against it in the South.

He gets some northern blacks (though Goldwater won't, in '68), the South, and probably a pretty impressive '64 victory.

It also, of course, screws the Democrats over big-time.

I must not be following. Are you saying that if Wallace runs as an third party, the Democrats do better? I'd say it depends on the Midwest and California, the latter helped Nixon to win and the former is where Wallace's American Party had the biggest spoiler effect. Without the Vietnam war however, the Democrats may have enough of a latent following of farmers + unionmen to pull it off.

Look at this way. In OTL 1968 all of Wallace's voters were Nixon voters, basically, even though they probably called themselves Democratic voters. (In fact Nixon ended up sort of bribing Wallace to run in the '72 Democratic Primaries, instead of as a third party candidate…*if I recall correctly.) In the ATL most of Wallace's voters would otherwise be Goldwater voters.

So Wallace taking part of the Deep South takes x amount of electoral votes out the Republican pocket—making it harder on Goldwater to win.

Plus, Goldwater won't carry California (Nixon barely did) and so I think the Democrats win by keeping Texas (Goldwater/Wallace split), California, and most of the Northern states.

Goldwater takes the border South, part of the Deep South, the Rocky Mountain states and perhaps 1-2 New England states (New Hampshire, and then either Maine or Vermont).

Add California, Ohio, and Illinois to the Democrat ticket (Goldwater less appealing in all of them relative to OTL Nixon) and the Democrats win with 283 or thereabouts. (Wisconsin and New Jersey probably go Democratic as well.)

The most interesting thing, IMO, is if you can manage to get neocons to find a home in the Democrats and so keep the South from completely switching to be solid Republican. The very essence of liberal v. conservative is probably different.

The South was pretty economically conservative and couple that with the race issue even a no McGovern + anti-communist Democratic Party doesn't keep the south Democratic. I think you can probably keep competitive in the Deep South longer (a little more appealing) although it's still going Republican and you may keep the Dems competitive for the foreseeable future in the Border South. Kentucky, maybe Florida, and perhaps even Texas once in a while. That would be enough to help the Democrats considerably.

How do the Republicans change? I imagine without the neoconservative "do whatever you want domestically" free ride the southern religious voters are a little less powerful, probably in favour of the midwest conservatives (Ford, Dole type people) of the balanced budget staidness. That may prevent supply-siders from gaining power in any party.

This makes the Republican Party a little less appealing to the average voter, but given the very large post-Truman advantage the Republican Party had in electoral college math this just means Presidential elections will be a fairer fight in the 1968-1992 period.

Socially the Republicans probably wind up about the same, although Goldwater on the ticket means libertarians (as in OTL) are on board despite a non-libertarian social & economic policy. (As usual, libertarians are stuck with the lesser of two evil parties. With less religious interference in people's lives that probably leaves the libertarians happier with Republicans than they generally were/are IOTL).

On foreign policy: isolationism + realism, going back and forth I imagine depending on the President. Certainly none of the neo-conservative nation building/democracy stuff.

A Jackson-Humphrey ticket in 1968 perhaps?

That sounds pretty plausible. Not geographically balanced, but you have to figure that Goldwater + Wallace and the Democrats understand the South is gone. Texas, however, may compel Connally on as VP. Jackson-Connally still won't win the South, but it should have a very strong pull with the blue collar industrial state voters.

Also, that could leave Humphrey as Senate Majority Leader, which would be a pretty good consolation prize to liberals.

Remember that if Nixon win in 60 and 64,repubblicans have the White House for 16 years.
So a democratic victory in 1968 is very probable.
The names? well,i think Humphrey,or Johnson.
RFK maybe as VP.

Humphrey is a strong possibility, but I'm not sure he goes all the way. People will remember his poor 1960 performance, and he may be up against too much to handle in the '68 primaries.

Johnson was too old and had health considerations. Without being VP, he had no chance at becoming President. Which is why, IOTL, he became VP despite loving his job in the Senate and hating being VP. He really really wanted to be President, someday.

RFK won't have the profile he did IOTL, as there was no JFK administration. He may be a Senator, or perhaps he takes on Rockefeller for Governor of New York, but I doubt he's considered for the nomination in '68. Perhaps '76 or even later, he was a young man after all.

If Nixon won the Presidency and avoided Vietnam, there is likely no counter-culture, which would lead to their being no Neo-Cons

Nah. Neoconservatives were Democratic anti-communists who felt that the OTL Democratic Party was not doing enough to fight communism and spread democracy. (Think of them as going all the way back to President Wilson.)

Neoconservatives, in the proper sense, concern themselves purely with an idealist foreign policy revolving around nation-building and the spread of democracy.

To gather support they usually concede a free hand in domestic affairs (be it to Southern religious conservatives and big government conservatives under Bush's Presidency; neoliberals in Iraq, and so on).

Neoconservatives have no domestic policy agenda.

Neoliberals (i.e. classical liberals) concern themselves purely with domestic affairs and a focus on the free market as the best way to manage government and the country.

US liberals are actually social democrats. US conservatives are actually liberals of various stripes. There aren't any actual conservatives in US politics. Actual conservatives concern themselves with group rights over individual rights and slow measured change over fast change. Liberals, in the general sense, are about individual rights and change of whatever sort (which is why all American politics are liberal, and the lack of true conservatism is also why Americans never developed socialism).

Having fun yet?

Last edited: