WI Nelson Mandela had been hanged?

King Thomas

Banned
In OTL he was convicted in 1964 of what was then the capital charge of sabotage but the death sentence was commuted to life. In TTL they find some hidden weapons (that existed in OTL but were not found at that time) and link him to them. He goes to the gallows. What happens without him? Does South Africa remain under apartheid, or end up in civil war? Would a Mugabe like leader end up taking over?

It remains longer under apartheid , but in the late 90s some revolts start a civil war between whites and blacks , supported by the international community . The blacks win the civil war , but the lack of a great leader leds to another war , for the leadership of the country . With the helping of the UN , the first black president of South Africa is elected in the early 2000s , but the nation will be more militarized and always threatened of balkanization because of the ultranationalist factions of english-speaking whites , Afrikaners and of the various black tribes . And it will be not one of the richest african countries ...

I don't know how influential Mandela actually was. The leadership of the ANC was relatively conservative, and remained so (as we can see by the neo-liberal economic policies it followed post-1994). The end of apartheid was hastened by the collpase of the Soviet Union, and Mandela's execution would not have changed that, so we probably would have seen De Klerk unbanning the ANC and PAC in 1990. Unless one subscribes to the Great Man theory of history, I don't think SA history would have been significantly different.

Perhaps there actually would have been less international focus on SA in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, without a "face" to put on the anti-apartheid struggle.

HueyLong

Banned
I don't know how influential Mandela actually was. The leadership of the ANC was relatively conservative, and remained so (as we can see by the neo-liberal economic policies it followed post-1994). The end of apartheid was hastened by the collpase of the Soviet Union, and Mandela's execution would not have changed that, so we probably would have seen De Klerk unbanning the ANC and PAC in 1990. Unless one subscribes to the Great Man theory of history, I don't think SA history would have been significantly different.

Perhaps there actually would have been less international focus on SA in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, without a "face" to put on the anti-apartheid struggle.

Whos next in line as leader? Zuma?

It would never have been Zuma. In the eraly 90s Zuma was relatively high-up in the ANC, but he was not even close to being a contender for President. Maybe one of the guys who had been exiled, like Oliver Tambo (but I think he died before '94). Too tired to think about it now, maybe tomorrow when my brain is functioning fully again.

What might Ramaphosa have done? Not sure about any others (or if Ramaphosa was even in their number), but would the more radical members have turned more actively violent, without Mandela?

Walter Sisulu maybe. He only died in 2003, and he along with Mandela, Tambo, and Govan Mbeki were seen as part of the "old guard" of the ANC. He was also at Rivonia though, so he might well have been hanged with Mandela.