WI: Napoleon marries Grand Duchess Anna

Hey all, was doing one of my favorite things to do, wiki-crawling stuff on Napoleon, and came across this:
Wiki says
The bride's father intended the marriage to strengthen links between the Austrian Empire and the First French Empire. Napoleon sought the validation and legitimation of his Empire by marrying a member of the House of Habsburg, one of the oldest ruling families of Europe. He also hoped to cement his position by fathering a legitimate heir. Napoleon had previously tried to marry Grand Duchess Anna of the House of Romanov, younger sister of Tsar Alexander I of Russia, but his proposal had been refused.

Now, I don't know if there is anything could be done in terms of a PoD where maybe the offer is accepted, then because of that because of his Russian wife he doesn't or can't invade Russia that in itself would be a big one I could think of. Anyways, open for discussion lads. Cheers

That's true, but there's no question Napoleon's campaign in Russia was ruinous, so if it is otherwise avoided, the French Empire would remain quite strong militarily.

Originally posted by Falastur
Marrying Empress Josephine didn't stop Napoleon warring constantly with Austria...

I think you mean Marie Louise. Josephine was French. And Napoleon married ML after Austria was defeated in 1809 (again); after that marriage Austria turned against him only after the disaster in Russia - well, at least openly.

I'm not sure Napoleon marrying Grand Duchess Anna Pavlovna would butterfly away the Russian Campaign. Royal marriages do not stop wars from happening.

As an example, Wilhelm II of Germany and George V of Great Britain were both cousins (Both of them are grandchildren of Queen Victoria). That didn't stop them from fighting each other during WW1.

Now, if Napoleon does secure Russian Alliance with his marriage to Anna, it will give him a much better position on the continent. Austria will behave since it is surrounded by the Russians and French. Prussia will also behave, being a close ally of Russia.
Without any threat in the East, Napoleon would be able to concentratre on Britain and on the Peninsula War. This would thus increase his chance of final victory in Europe.

Originally posted by Falastur

I think you mean Marie Louise. Josephine was French. And Napoleon married ML after Austria was defeated in 1809 (again); after that marriage Austria turned against him only after the disaster in Russia - well, at least openly.

Dangit, yes I do. Trust me to make an idiotic mistake like that. And your final comment says it all. The marriage did some work yes, but ultimately it was never going to be the thing to stand between Austria and ridding Europe of the cursed Corsican Tyrant; not when everything else fell into place too. Similarly, Napoleon might be deflected from Russia for a while but ultimately if he retains control of Europe on the main, which he surely will, then eventually Russia is just going to be too tempting a target...