WI Microsoft releases Longhorn?

How much would the computer world be affected if Microsoft released Windows Longhorn instead of Vista? Would it be popular, or would people hate it?

Asami

Banned
Depends on at which stage, considering Longhorn seemed more to be a conceptual means than practical. They went through 7 alpha phases, in each one they significantly changed the appearance and operability of the interface, and included rather ambitious graphical goodies that didn't work on the majority of PCs in the era.

If you want Longhorn launched, you have to release any build prior to 5384 (compiled 2005 and was the first build labeled Vista to be released publicly by leaks from beta groups like OSBetaArchive and BetaArchive, where I'm a moderator ;)), and you have to create a more realistic feature plan for the OS than WinFS and the really advanced DWM stuff.

As the point above was made, Longhorn is just Vista before a code reboot after Milestone 7, and a relabeling. No build of LH was very stable.

3683 and 3718 were both notorious for memory leaks out the wazoo,
4xxx was horribly unstable and bloated due to incompatible drivers from Windows XP and Microsoft's new DWWM driver requirements.
So really, Vista was probably the best Longhorn was, considering it was a train wreck from start to finish.

(Heh, I'm poop at actual history, but I know lots about this stuff)

Depends on at which stage, considering Longhorn seemed more to be a conceptual means than practical. They went through 7 alpha phases, in each one they significantly changed the appearance and operability of the interface, and included rather ambitious graphical goodies that didn't work on the majority of PCs in the era.

If you want Longhorn launched, you have to release any build prior to 5384 (compiled 2005 and was the first build labeled Vista to be released publicly by leaks from beta groups like OSBetaArchive and BetaArchive, where I'm a moderator ;)), and you have to create a more realistic feature plan for the OS than WinFS and the really advanced DWM stuff.

As the point above was made, Longhorn is just Vista before a code reboot after Milestone 7, and a relabeling. No build of LH was very stable.

3683 and 3718 were both notorious for memory leaks out the wazoo,
4xxx was horribly unstable and bloated due to incompatible drivers from Windows XP and Microsoft's new DWWM driver requirements.
So really, Vista was probably the best Longhorn was, considering it was a train wreck from start to finish.

(Heh, I'm poop at actual history, but I know lots about this stuff)
I don't mean one specific alpha build, but rather a completed version similar in appearance to one of the builds.

Asami

Banned
I don't mean one specific alpha build, but rather a completed version similar in appearance to one of the builds.

But it still depends on what they consider a "good enough" product to base the final version off of.

Either way, I don't see Longhorn being any level of success, as I said, it was a massive trainwreck from start to finish, and was horribly idealistic for the time.

It'd do no better than Vista did OTL. :p