WI: Matriarchal Society

Nobody knows for sure how today's society became patriarchal. Here's something I'm wondering: what if human culture was matriarchal? Only a few of today's cultures are matriarchal, and they are somewhat third-world.

So, how might society develop if women were in command of everything, as opposed to men? It's a general fact that women are more rational than men in tense situations...

Well, quite a few societies have been matrilineal, in that men joined the women's family and property devolved along the wife's family. This mimics many social organizations in animal group (hyenas, lions, wolves, chimps) , if tribal identity is considered their "property", but the males still usually end up in dominant positions. The neurochemist in me says that the consistently higher levels of testosterone, cortisol and serotonin in the males' brains makes dominance over the females a forgone conclusion, but this is a broad generality that could be significantly varied in some populations.

In the earliest socities, political leaders tended to naturally emerge from military leaders, men with experience ordering large scale operations coordinating a large group towards a common goal. Not to mention the ability to physically dominate anyone who might challenge your authority. The most likely way women could dominate is through a shamanistic monopoly over the spiritual state of the group.

"It's a general fact that women are more rational than men in tense situations..." :rolleyes:

Did you get taken in by Hillary's "I'll answer the red phone at 4 AM" ads?

Did Herodotus have any sort of legimtimate source on which to base the Amazons? Maybe he thinking of the Maenads, the wild drunk women who worshipped and then tore apart Dionysus? :eek:

RE:

In societies looking to determine inheritance rights with no reliable paternity tests, the only way to be certain who fathered what child is to make sure the women stayed monogamous their whole lives. Everything else flows from that.

In a sort of Naturalistic Sci-Fi alternate sort of world type thing, it's hard to explain, where matriarchal societies are more common. I'd just like to know how women could at all possibly gain power. I like the shamanistic monopoly type thing.

Keenir

Banned
Nobody knows for sure how today's society became patriarchal. Here's something I'm wondering: what if human culture was matriarchal? Only a few of today's cultures are matriarchal, and they are somewhat third-world.

you want to say that to Israel's face?

It's a general fact that women are more rational than men in tense situations...

yes, as demonstrated by Maggie Thatcher, Golda Meir, Elizabeth I of England, Tamara of Georgia...

Well, Camille Paglia said that "If civilization had been left in female hands we would still be living in grass huts."

I think she's a smart lady. For a feminist, that is.

you want to say that to Israel's face?

yes, as demonstrated by Maggie Thatcher, Golda Meir, Elizabeth I of England, Tamara of Georgia...

Since when is Isreal a matriarchal society? I mean, Golda Meir was prime minister and whatnot, but that doesn't make them matriarchal.

And I agree with Garbageman that societies would be more female-led if they were less heirarchial and more communal.

Since when is Isreal a matriarchal society? I mean, Golda Meir was prime minister and whatnot, but that doesn't make them matriarchal.

And I agree with Garbageman that societies would be more female-led if they were less heirarchial and more communal.

I don't think those were examples of leaders in matriarchal societies per se, but female leaders in general. Not sure whether the examples were meant to be snarky, though.

I think female leaders will be subject to the same foibles and vanities as male leaders in possession of that kind of power.

Nietzsche

Banned
Well, Camille Paglia said that "If civilization had been left in female hands we would still be living in grass huts."

I think she's a smart lady. For a feminist, that is.

..because obviously, women should be kept barefoot & pregnant in the kitchen!

Yeah, so, how would the world be today if women held power instead of men? Would it be any different?

In societies looking to determine inheritance rights with no reliable paternity tests, the only way to be certain who fathered what child is to make sure the women stayed monogamous their whole lives. Everything else flows from that.

Many societies found it simpler to just run inheritance along the female line.

In societies looking to determine inheritance rights with no reliable paternity tests, the only way to be certain who fathered what child is to make sure the women stayed monogamous their whole lives. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Everything else flows from that.

You forgot to include a smiley, I went ahead and inserted it for you.

Yeah, so, how would the world be today if women held power instead of men? Would it be any different?

I imagine nativity would be lower, which would overall mean less development in population, technology, and society. The reason? Powerful women wouldn't want to die of childbirth.

In Guenther Grass' "Der Butt", it is suggested that the development of human civilisation began with the transfer of power from matriarchs to patriarchs.

Man the Hunter-->Man the Tyrant

Many prominent anthropologists believe that the reason that many modern societies are patriarchal is because men had to go out and hunt because women had to stay home and take care of the children. 'Cause, no babysitters!;)

I would expect there to be more emphasis on the extended family. Property, rights,... would reside there.