WI: Lincoln had McClellan arrested before the 1864 election?

Say Atlanta stay in rebel hands and the polls look bad. Lincoln gets paranoid that McClellan is going to peace out of the war, and so has him arrested (without charge, as Habeas Corpus is suspended). How do the union People, government, and army react? Does this change any thing for the south? How would it affect things postwar.

colonel

Donor
More important then arresting McClellan (who was still popular among the troops), is not taking Atlanta. Republicans would possibly prevail in the elections if just one of those events occur. Much less likely if both happen.

Seems a bit out of character for Lincoln. And suicidal - he just handed those calling him a tyrant all the proof they need.

Agree with previous one. I can't see Lincoln doing something that stupid. It is clear political suicide and good way to lost next election. Perhaps even impeached. At least it is going to give Democrats and dixies good propaganda weapon. Arresting of political opponents just would look tyrannic. Only worse thing would be if Lincoln would order McClellan being hanged without fair trial.

Agree with previous one. I can't see Lincoln doing something that stupid. It is clear political suicide and good way to lost next election. Perhaps even impeached. At least it is going to give Democrats and dixies good propaganda weapon. Arresting of political opponents just would look tyrannic. Only worse thing would be if Lincoln would order McClellan being hanged without fair trial.
I agree it's extreme for him. I was thinking something along the lines of him getting intel (whether or not it ends up being true) that 1) Mac has a very good odds of beating him. And 2) Him being willing to give lenient terms to the Confederates to end the war soon. Maybe Lincoln thinks that will end the union altogether and decides to take action.

I agree it's extreme for him. I was thinking something along the lines of him getting intel (whether or not it ends up being true) that 1) Mac has a very good odds of beating him. And 2) Him being willing to give lenient terms to the Confederates to end the war soon. Maybe Lincoln thinks that will end the union altogether and decides to take action.
Not in-character.

McClellan wasn't anywhere near to defeat Lincoln in OTL. And he never proposed negotiations with the South.

And even then Lincoln's action would be seen really extreme.

marktaha

Banned
He did suspend habeas corpus and violate the Constitution but doing that would have been political suicide?

ASB.
He did suspend habeas corpus and violate the Constitution but doing that would have been political suicide?
He arrested Maryland legislators suspected of supporting secession, and Congress subsequently gave him its blessings. Arresting politicians whom you suspect of conspiring to destroy the republic is very different from arresting your political opponents.

colonel

Donor
ASB.

He arrested Maryland legislators suspected of supporting secession, and Congress subsequently gave him its blessings. Arresting politicians whom you suspect of conspiring to destroy the republic is very different from arresting your political opponents.
I agree that arresting legislators that are likely to vote secession making the capitol surrounded by states in insurection was necessary. That said it didn’t make it constitutional. Lincoln was great because he stretched executive power to preserve the Union, but always acknowledged that power would subside after the War was won. For example he pushed for the 13th Amendment because he knew that after hostilities ended a Court would likely find the Emancipation Proclamation unconstitutional. Jailing his principle opponent without some indication of treason would have been a bridge too far.