WI: Lincoln AND Seward Die?

William H. Seward was very nearly killed in the same plot that killed Abraham Lincoln. His would-be assassin's gun misfired, and it was disabled when he clobbered Seward's son with it instead of firing again. What if Seward had died that night?

Seward is best known for annexing Alaska, which obviously would not happen. However, he was also key in annexing Midway and the Danish West Indies, and he influenced Hawaii despite minimal approval from Congress. Would this United States be much less Pacific-focused, without his involvement? Heck, who would have replaced him as Secretary of State even?

William H. Seward was very nearly killed in the same plot that killed Abraham Lincoln. His would-be assassin's gun misfired, and it was disabled when he clobbered Seward's son with it instead of firing again. What if Seward had died that night?

Seward is best known for annexing Alaska, which obviously would not happen. However, he was also key in annexing Midway and the Danish West Indies, and he influenced Hawaii despite minimal approval from Congress. Would this United States be much less Pacific-focused, without his involvement? Heck, who would have replaced him as Secretary of State even?

Well, I can say this: I'll have to go with Anaxagoras here: Seward's death probably wouldn't necessarily prevent us from buying Alaska, or even taking Hawa'ii. I think, if anything, we might see an independent Alaska or one that gets taken over by the Brits, and a Hawa'ii that either becomes a Puerto Rico style commonwealth or a U.S. protectorate, but I do still think that we wouldn't lose our desires for more Pacific influence entirely.

Why do you think that the Alaska Purchase would "obviously" not happen without Seward?

Considering it was called Seward's Folly, wasn't very popular, and taking to account Seward's expansionism, I just thought it would not happen. I realize it's not a given, but it really depends on who replaces Seward.

While US expansionism in the territories mentioned doesn't just get butterlied away with Seward's death, it does become less likely. Seward was a strong voice for exansionism, and he pushed through the Alaska deal against a lot of opposition.

Hawaii will very likely still happen, but it might not become a state. Danish West Indies? Midway? I don't know.