WI: Leopold II murdered in sleep in 1870

What if, Leopold the Second was murdered in his sleep ~1870? How would things have developed for the Congo which would later fall under his rule (other than much better)?

By 1870, Leopold had already named his nephew Baudouin as his heir.
Though, if the Salic law is strictly followed, the throne will first go his mostly deaf younger brother Philippe ... who had little intrest in ruling, he had already turned down the thrones of Greece and Rumania.
So, if Philippe becomes the next king,he'll very much be a hands-off kind of ruler (the exact opposite of Leopold).
Even if Baudouin does become king in stead of his dad, well still have a hands-off ruler in Belgium. Baudouin hated the idea of being crown prince.
So, chances are:
- industrial development goes much slower
- someone else finances Stanley when he goes on his hike in the Kongo region
- Belgium remains strictly neutral and non beligerant (no possibility of a war with the Dutch to "complete the revolution")
- Brussels still grows, though much slower then under Leopold
- Brabant remains mostly Dutch speaking

all in all, Belgium is a lot weaker by the time the great powers gear up for the First Big Mistake.
Kongo's fate depends on whoever finances Stanley.
Language split shifts slightly in favour of the Flemish

that's all I can think of right now

So, chances are:
-- Belgium remains strictly neutral and non beligerant (no possibility of a war with the Dutch to "complete the revolution")

I read about that in the paper, I doubt his plan would work. It depended too much on other countries doing nothing and a revolt of the catholics that wouldn't have happened. No wonder France never wanted to support the plan.
- Brussels still grows, though much slower then under Leopold
- Brabant remains mostly Dutch speaking
What do you mean? Just Brussel speaking Dutch or also the language barrier more to the south? I have always wondered what areas in Brabant were originaly Dutch/Flemish speaking and what parts Walloon and when exactly it changed.

I read about that in the paper, I doubt his plan would work. It depended too much on other countries doing nothing and a revolt of the catholics that wouldn't have happened. No wonder France never wanted to support the plan.

indeed, Napoleon III specifically said to Leopold, he couldn't predict what his army would do in case of a Belgian invasion into the Netherlands.
And Leo's plans do seem more wishfull thinking then actual military planning.
Be in Amsterdam before the world could react?
and how exactly was he planning on crossing the Maas and the Waal?

What do you mean? Just Brussel speaking Dutch or also the language barrier more to the south? I have always wondered what areas in Brabant were originaly Dutch/Flemish speaking and what parts Walloon and when exactly it changed.

Both, more or less, Brussels would still grow beyond the tiny village it was and it would still become mostly French-speaking. But without Leopold pushing the development of Brussels, it would grow much less, swallow up fewer of the surrounding villages.
I seem to remember southern Brabant being mostly Dutchspeaking (though, actually drawing a fixed border seems rather impossible. Fact is, during Leopold II's reign, the fuzzy border moved north, almost reaching Brussels.

So, in TTL, there's a good chance Brabant will be Dutch with some mixed communities on the border with Namur.

indeed, Napoleon III specifically said to Leopold, he couldn't predict what his army would do in case of a Belgian invasion into the Netherlands.
And Leo's plans do seem more wishfull thinking then actual military planning.
Be in Amsterdam before the world could react?
and how exactly was he planning on crossing the Maas and the Waal?
Exactly. Attacking the Netherlands from the south is harder than it looks like. Ask Montgomery or Louis XIV. Even if they manage to cross it, they would have to cross the waterline, which unless it freezes is a formidable defense line.

Both, more or less, Brussels would still grow beyond the tiny village it was and it would still become mostly French-speaking. But without Leopold pushing the development of Brussels, it would grow much less, swallow up fewer of the surrounding villages.
I seem to remember southern Brabant being mostly Dutchspeaking (though, actually drawing a fixed border seems rather impossible. Fact is, during Leopold II's reign, the fuzzy border moved north, almost reaching Brussels.

So, in TTL, there's a good chance Brabant will be Dutch with some mixed communities on the border with Namur.

Language barriers are always fuzzy. Look at basicly everywhere: Belgium, Switserland, the Polish/Tjech-German border before it was ethnicaly cleansed after WWII, the Swedes in Finland, etc.

Just a thought: before Leopold convinced the British to support the creation of the Free State of the Congo the UK was inclined to accept the Portuguese claim over the region. Portugal was seen as an ally, and as a weak country the possession of the Congo by Lisbon wouldn't create the problems that a French Congo could cause. IOTL as Belgium was even more dependent of Britain than Portugal, and as Leopold promised to make Congo a free country where all international commerce was allowed they decided that the Belgian king's offer was better and supported it. Without Leopold, the British might continue to support the idea of a Portuguese Congo.