WI: Labienus as second in command of Caesar during the Civil War

Labienus was second in command of Caesar during the Gallic Wars, he proved to be a capable independent commander and was for many times the de facto governor of Gaul during the absences of Caesar. When Caesar crossed the Rubicon Labienus was probably taken by surprise and denounced Caesar as a traitor going immediately to Rome.

So, what would happen if Labienus decided to follow Caesar instead of the Senate? Would Caesar send him to Spain to fight the legions of Pompey or would Caesar still go there to command his legions? Would the war end sooner? What would be the reward of Labienus after the war and what would be his position in the post war? Would Caesar still be assassinated?

The entire Spanish campaign wouldn't happen, and Africa would be much smoother rather than the grinding fight that it was. The second Civil War would certainly be completely different, both Lepidus and Marc Antony would be far down on the chain of command & not really rise up that far. So when the time comes for Caesar to die, which would probably still happen, there's 3 options. Either Labienus gets put on the chopping block since he would be a major risk to the conspirators. He supports Octavius' claim and helps him take power. Or he goes on his own Civil War against Octavius and probably wins due to his massively superior military and political skill compared to the young Octavius, or even Agrippa.

A different Civil War changes everything. You very well might have a situation where the Civil War ends with Pompey still alive and returning to Rome as second man. Cleopatra may never gets a chance to stroke Caesar’s ego and nurture his autocratic tendencies. One general making a different choice could prolong the Republic and change the course of history… or not.

Personally, I don’t believe much would change. Throughout the Bellum Civile and the Bellum Africum Labienus is described as consistently vitriolic and staunchly opposed to Caesar and his soldiers. Now it could be Labienus felt betrayed by Caesar’s choice to to not submit to Pompeius and the Senate, but I believe it’s more likely Labienus felt betrayed because Caesar wouldn’t recognize his aspirations. Perhaps he may have dreamed of a consulship, eventually, or better recognition for his military exploits, things Caesar clearly denied him.

Thus, if Labienus does decide to stay loyal, Caesar would still go himself to Spain, and he’d still rely on relatively inexperienced officers like Gaius Scribonius Curio and Caius Antonius for the conquest of Africa and Illyricum respectively, to disastrous results. It wasn’t about their quality as lieutenants, but their worth in the overall political game. Caesar couldn’t afford to lose support of the young aristocrats of the 80’s who decided to coalesce around him, but he could very well afford to lose a political non entity like Labienus, who would certainly have had his part in the war, but probably not one more important than, say, Fufius Calenus, Caninius Rebilus or Calvisius Sabinus. So I believe Pompeius would still survive and reach Egypt, and things until 47 would go much in the same way. After all, Caesar didn’t stay that long in Egypt merely to hunt down Pompeius, who was already dead. It was part of a geopolitical strategy that entailed creating vassal kingdoms made of reliable people personally linked to him, like Kleopatra and Mithridates of Pergamum.

The African campaign of 46, however, would go more smoothly perhaps. Without Labienus employing his cavalry to wear down Caesar in a battle of attrition, while also avoiding a pitched battle, ironically the very same plan Pompeius had wanted to adopt for himself, Caesar could end Pompeian resistance much sooner.

The campaign in Spain of 45, on the other hand, would go much the same. The younger Pompeius was much more determined than Cato and Scipio to keep effective command of military operations IRL, so his strategy against Caesar, inadequate as it was, wouldn’t much change.

As for what concerns Caesar’s death, because no doubt Caesar would still be killed, Labienus could very well be a member of the conspiracy against him. A lot of staunch Caesarians like Trebonius, Decimus and Cimbrus defected, likely because they felt their careers were going to a dead end, without ever having their chance to be the man in charge, or the one to lead an expedition which would give them renown and fame. But if Labienus stays loyal, he wouldn’t become a political force of his own, no matter how much he was linked to Caesar, he was still a homo novus from Picenum, he could never aspire to play a prominent role in the oncoming war. He’d either side with Marcus Antonius or the Young Caesar, who would still rather rely on men personally attached to them like Ventidius Bassus, Gaius Sosius, Caninius Crassus, Agrippa, Statilius Taurus and Lucius Cornificius rather than an old man who belonged to another generation who had no personal connection to them and who’d likely have died of old age by the time Actium happened.

No doubt that Caesar needed to please his supporters, but I don't think that he would compromise his strategical goal of conquering provinces and keeping Italy secure by passing up a very good and experienced commander in favor of a less competent or inexperienced commander, just to please one supporter. Also there was no lack of positions of command that Caesar needed to fill.

I personally think that without Labienus defecting he would be the Master of Horse of the Caesarians, it would be just the natural choice. The most affected by that would be Mark Antony, but I don't think that Mark Anthony would feel resentment as he would not have the information that IOTL he was the Second in Command of Caesar. If Caesar still go fight in Spain as his first move, then Labienus would probably be in charge of Italy during the time that Caesar is away in Spain and Labienus would largely have the task of keeping the peace there. I can see in TTL Mark Antony going to Illyria in place of his brother, or maybe going with Caesar to Spain. Eventually after Pompey's defeat Labienus could be tasked with taking Africa or dealing with Pharnaces. During this time Caesar could also have him elected Consul.

After the Civil War if Labienus had not been elected Consul during the war he could be rewarded with a Consulship like Mark Antony, or the Proconsulship of Gaul if he had already been a consul.

If Caesar dies assassinated Labienus would be in Gaul and would be a major power on the scenario post Caesar's death.

No doubt that Caesar needed to please his supporters, but I don't think that he would compromise his strategical goal of conquering provinces and keeping Italy secure by passing up a very good and experienced commander in favor of a less competent or inexperienced commander, just to please one supporter. Also there was no lack of positions of command that Caesar needed to fill.

But you see, that’s the thing, he did compromise his strategic goals to satisfy his supporters. Scribonius Curio, Caius Antonius, Aulus Gabinius, all men with little military credit to their name who were given important commands to keep them on his side.

I personally think that without Labienus defecting he would be the Master of Horse of the Caesarians, it would be just the natural choice. The most affected by that would be Mark Antony, but I don't think that Mark Anthony would feel resentment as he would not have the information that IOTL he was the Second in Command of Caesar. If Caesar still go fight in Spain as his first move, then Labienus would probably be in charge of Italy during the time that Caesar is away in Spain and Labienus would largely have the task of keeping the peace there. I can see in TTL Mark Antony going to Illyria in place of his brother, or maybe going with Caesar to Spain. Eventually after Pompey's defeat Labienus could be tasked with taking Africa or dealing with Pharnaces. During this time Caesar could also have him elected Consul.

No, I don’t think Labienus would ever be magister equitum for the simple fact that Caesar needed someone skilled in diplomacy for that job, not a man of the army, and given how abrasive Labienus was, I doubt a homo novus from Picenum would have been his choice. Caesar picked Lepidus as his magister equitum exactly because he saw how necessary it was for a man of that rank to properly keep the peace without using force or coercion, as Antonius did.

After the Civil War if Labienus had not been elected Consul during the war he could be rewarded with a Consulship like Mark Antony, or the Proconsulship of Gaul if he had already been a consul.

Indeed, he’d have received a consulship, but probably a suffect one. Caesar seemed to have reserved the full consulship to either man of renowned aristocratic lineage, or men who were skilled at navigating Roman politics and the intricacies of the Senate. Labienus’ consulship wouldn’t have been any longer than Trebonius’, thing which seemed to have spurred the latter’s resentment.

If Caesar dies assassinated Labienus would be in Gaul and would be a major power on the scenario post Caesar's death.

Even if he were in Gaul, he’d be as important as Munatius Plancus was, which by all means would make him a relevant figure, but not one of the main players. But we can’t possibly know where Lepidus would be, or if he’d even stay loyal.

Hecatee

Donor
The thing most of you forget is who Labienus was : he was a Picenian, coming from the land that was almost a personal fief to Pompey's family and was most probably tied to Pompey from the earliest steps of his career. He really started to rise thanks to his participation to P. Servilius Vatia Isauricus' campaigns in Cilicia, remaining in the (arch-)conservative circles supporting Sylla. A bit later he was able to enter the senate as tribune of the plebs, despite his family being of equestrian rank : did he get financial help to achieve senatorial rank ? If so, from whom ? Pompey seems likely, unless he got tons of booty fighting the pirates.
It is only when he entered the senate that he came into contact with Caesar, then an ally of Pompey. He went to Gaul as part of the alliance between Pompey and Caesar. So when Caesar turned against the senate and Pompey it was only logical for Labienus to turn against Caesar : he'd learned from him, but had never been his ally from his own will, mainly cooperating on orders of Pompey...

The thing most of you forget is who Labienus was : he was a Picenian, coming from the land that was almost a personal fief to Pompey's family and was most probably tied to Pompey from the earliest steps of his career. He really started to rise thanks to his participation to P. Servilius Vatia Isauricus' campaigns in Cilicia, remaining in the (arch-)conservative circles supporting Sylla. A bit later he was able to enter the senate as tribune of the plebs, despite his family being of equestrian rank : did he get financial help to achieve senatorial rank ? If so, from whom ? Pompey seems likely, unless he got tons of booty fighting the pirates.
It is only when he entered the senate that he came into contact with Caesar, then an ally of Pompey. He went to Gaul as part of the alliance between Pompey and Caesar. So when Caesar turned against the senate and Pompey it was only logical for Labienus to turn against Caesar : he'd learned from him, but had never been his ally from his own will, mainly cooperating on orders of Pompey...

Absolutely, although Labienus wasn’t a machine, he had feelings of his own, and it’s not completely unreasonable to think that he might have chosen differently than he did.

Well, 10 years is a lot of time, even though he entered service as a man of Pompey, I doubt that 10 years under Caesar wouldn't be able to change his allegiance. The best example of how people are not predictable like that would be Brutus, he probably personally liked Caesar and was favored by him, and Pompey killed his father, still, he went with Pompey, after pardoned killed Caesar. Also Caesar didn't think that Labienus would leave him, otherwise he would not leave him in Gaul overseeing his legions.

But you see, that’s the thing, he did compromise his strategic goals to satisfy his supporters. Scribonius Curio, Caius Antonius, Aulus Gabinius, all men with little military credit to their name who were given important commands to keep them on his side.

He didn't have any particularly talented and trustworthy men to use at that time, so I don't see it as a compromise. I call it making do whith what you have at hand.

No, I don’t think Labienus would ever be magister equitum for the simple fact that Caesar needed someone skilled in diplomacy for that job, not a man of the army, and given how abrasive Labienus was, I doubt a homo novus from Picenum would have been his choice. Caesar picked Lepidus as his magister equitum exactly because he saw how necessary it was for a man of that rank to properly keep the peace without using force or coercion, as Antonius did.

I think that the fact that his first choice was Mark Antony is indication that he would also choose Labienus at least at first, if Labienus acted like Mark Antony he would also change his mind and probably find a replacement to govern the city of Rome and be his governor and representative in the city.

Indeed, he’d have received a consulship, but probably a suffect one. Caesar seemed to have reserved the full consulship to either man of renowned aristocratic lineage, or men who were skilled at navigating Roman politics and the intricacies of the Senate. Labienus’ consulship wouldn’t have been any longer than Trebonius’, thing which seemed to have spurred the latter’s resentment.

Maybe yes, maybe not...

Even if he were in Gaul, he’d be as important as Munatius Plancus was, which by all means would make him a relevant figure, but not one of the main players. But we can’t possibly know where Lepidus would be, or if he’d even stay loyal.

Munatius had a lack of confidence (maybe with reason) and was indecisive, Labienus certainly wasn't. Munatius certainly wasn't one of the best commanders of Caesar, otherwise he would rely more on him, still he had the power to be a great player when Caesar died, he decided to not be one.

Well, 10 years is a lot of time, even though he entered service as a man of Pompey, I doubt that 10 years under Caesar wouldn't be able to change his allegiance. The best example of how people are not predictable like that would be Brutus, he probably personally liked Caesar and was favored by him, and Pompey killed his father, still, he went with Pompey, after pardoned killed Caesar. Also Caesar didn't think that Labienus would leave him, otherwise he would not leave him in Gaul overseeing his legions.
Brutus was a particular case as he was an Optimate first, very close to his uncle Cato (half-brother of his mother) and had reasons for dislike also Caesar (his mother Servilia was one of Caesar’s mistresses). Remember who he married Cato’s daughter Porcia once she was widowed by Bibulus and who Cassius was married to one of Brutus’ half-sisters (the other two were married to staunch Caesarians, Vatia Isauricus and Lepidus) so Brutus adherence to the Senate faction (because Pompey at this point was seen by many as just the (military) leader of the Optimates faction) and his involvement in the conspiracy for killing Caesar were pretty likely.
I think that the fact that his first choice was Mark Antony is indication that he would also choose Labienus at least at first, if Labienus acted like Mark Antony he would also change his mind and probably find a replacement to govern the city of Rome and be his governor and representative in the city.
Not true, as Mark Antony was from Roman nobility and his own relative, other than a pretty good military man and was seen by many as possible heir of Caesar. All this were good reasons for choosing him over Lepidus (another Roman noble from an important family). In the very unlikely case in which Labienus stay on Caesar’s side, I can not see him being given important political roles over Antony and Lepidus and would also NOT have any edge over the other two in military matters.
Maybe yes, maybe not...
Labienus as consul suffect sound the most likely option, I fear. And he would likely be involved in the conspiracy against Caesar...

He didn't have any particularly talented and trustworthy men to use at that time, so I don't see it as a compromise. I call it making do whith what you have at hand.

If we went by merit alone, he had Caninius Rebilus, Fufius Calenus, and Aulus Hirtius, who had more experience than Curio. In fact, Rebilus was with Curio in his expedition, and he acted as a sort of guide for the man, until Curio decided to go independent and risk it all.

How so? Antonius wasn’t the new Labienus. He wasn’t Caesar’s right hand man, or a homo novus with military experience, he was the ambitious scion of a very powerful family.

Munatius had a lack of confidence (maybe with reason) and was indecisive, Labienus certainly wasn't. Munatius certainly wasn't one of the best commanders of Caesar, otherwise he would rely more on him, still he had the power to be a great player when Caesar died, he decided to not be one.

This all rests on whether Labienus is sent to Comata, which is absolutely speculative. But if he does stay loyal to the Caesarians, Labienus would just give his legions to Antonius and Lepidus, and if he doesn’t, then Antonius is likely going to die, but that doesn’t change that Labienus wouldn’t become a leading man of Rome.