WI: Julian the Apostate lives.

So did Theodosius rule from Constantinople. Didn't stop the Western Empire falling during his sonss' reign. No reason to think Julian's sucessors do noticeably better.

It seemed to me you were claiming the Roman army would cease to exist and would be replaced by barbarians.

I know that happened in the West, but I don't think it happened in the East.

just after Adrianople something of that sort happened.
Theodosius had basically a bad situation and with not enough men in the army, thus had to come to an agreement with the same goths that had devastated Thrace.
Several would-be-usurpers could be beaten only thanks to barbarian warriors fighting in the army and/or as mercenaries.
But we shouldn't overstress the barbarian character of those: most of them (all of them in in the upper social strata) were culturally assimilated, spoke greek or latin and were christians.
During his Arcadius' reign, a 'xenophobic' current emerged in the politic of the ERE, and most of the goths were gradually relocated westrads and westwards, until they arrivet in the WRE (which really was not able to manage them).
Anyway, this new course, too should not be overstressed. Huns, for example, remained a source of mercenaries for the ERE for centuries

Last edited: