WI: Jordan joins the Yom Kippur War

In OTL Jordan fought Israel in the 1948 War and in the Six Days War. However it remained netural during the Yom Kippur. But, what happens if Jordan joins Egypt and Syria side during the Yom Kippur? Would Israel still win the war? How would a thrid front affect Isreal's strategy. I will not state my own views until later as to not affect the converstation.

Southern front unchanged. Israel pushing Syria back to the border, but does not enter Syria proper. Limited Jordanian gains at first, but cancealed within the first two days. An Israeli counter offensive into Jordan very unlikely.

Though I don't see Jordan contributing to the war more then IOTL. A weaker Syria was in thier best interest, and the war was not in order to destroy Israel, it was to reclaim lost territory. Why would Jordan want to bolster Syria?

I don't know maybe King Huessian puts Arab brotherhood above common sense like in the past Arab-Israeli Wars:p

Last edited:
Jordan did intervene in 1973 by sending units to the Syrian front, only three years after the PLO and Syria tried to seize Jordan.

And that was the most it could do. Even with one Israeli division on the Jordanian border, a Jordanian offensive is not possible. Sending two brigades to fight alongside Syria and Iraq was playing on the "Arab brotherhood" card, without destroying your army on the Israeli defences. The border may be short, but it's a bitch to cross, either way.

Jason222

Banned
I think opposed effect it would made Arab lose lot worst. In practice Jordan own air defense much less effective force Syria take tanks off the Golan Height defend Jordan left to mercy of Israel air force. Syria also pull SAM site off Golan Height. Third front would bless for Israel. Israel likley knock Syria and Jordan war lot early. Egypt also presser do push early to leading much less costly victory in Sinai. Israel likely handle must Jordan with just air force.

If thing turn much worst Israel turn bomb which might another reason Jordan did open third front.

I don't think Jordan joining would result in an easy victory for Israel, far from it. Peled's division is still on the border with Jordan, so he will be fighting there, instead of moving north a couple of days later. This means that while Israel has one division, with not many tanks, fighting Jordan, we also get less forces in the Golan for the counter attack into Syria. No doubt Syria would be pushed back, but it will not shorten the war. The war with Jordan would be over in a few days, after that Israel would keep Peled's division on the border. The war with Egypt is unaffected, as we are not talking about units that are diverted. The war ends on the same day. The difference with Syria, is that now Israel does not carve another chunk out of Syria, so perhaps the war of atrittion that kept going there up to 1974, will not happen. Syria might call it a day after Egypt throws the towl.

During the war, Israel left a flimsy, skeltal force in the West Bank, and explosives were planted beneath the roads to Jerusalem, just in case. I believe there were a total of 40 Israeli tanks facing the Jordanians along this front. These would not be meant to stop the Jordanians, but only to delay them until reinforcements could arrive. I would also expect whatever planes Israel could muster would be dispatched to deal with the Royal Jordanian Air Force and conduct close air support to IDF ground forces. Within a few days, the attack would have been smashed.

Aside from a few punitive bombing raids, Jordanian territory would probably be left untouched. However, the Jordanians will have suffered heavy losses and the loss of their air force.

Jason222

Banned
I don't think Jordan joining would result in an easy victory for Israel, far from it. Peled's division is still on the border with Jordan, so he will be fighting there, instead of moving north a couple of days later. This means that while Israel has one division, with not many tanks, fighting Jordan, we also get less forces in the Golan for the counter attack into Syria. No doubt Syria would be pushed back, but it will not shorten the war. The war with Jordan would be over in a few days, after that Israel would keep Peled's division on the border. The war with Egypt is unaffected, as we are not talking about units that are diverted. The war ends on the same day. The difference with Syria, is that now Israel does not carve another chunk out of Syria, so perhaps the war of atrittion that kept going there up to 1974, will not happen. Syria might call it a day after Egypt throws the towl.
I go to explain why said easily made lot easily of war for Israel win. Syria gave word they come Jordan aid if Israel invade Jordan. Means that Syria pull tanks off the Golan Heights to come aid Jordan that meant good number tanks that fought Golan Height fought in Jordan instead they also likely move SAM sites as well. Allow Israel deliver much more painful punch to Syria armor since they fewer SAM site around Golan Height.

I go to explain why said easily made lot easily of war for Israel win. Syria gave word they come Jordan aid if Israel invade Jordan. Means that Syria pull tanks off the Golan Heights to come aid Jordan that meant good number tanks that fought Golan Height fought in Jordan instead they also likely move SAM sites as well. Allow Israel deliver much more painful punch to Syria armor since they fewer SAM site around Golan Height.

That's going to be problematic. Mainly because Israel would not push into Jordan with only Peled's division. But if Syria does send forces there during the war, however unlikly, I can see Israel pushing forword in Syria, enough for Syrian forces to be called back from Jordan. IOTL the only reason Israel didn't push all the way to Damascus was the Iraqi army, combined with the Syrian, was there to stop it. If we are talking about enough forces being sent to Jordan, they may be cut off there. Again, this all depends on how much initiative the Syrian forces in Jordan show. IOTL they were known for the lack of it.

Jason222

Banned
That's going to be problematic. Mainly because Israel would not push into Jordan with only Peled's division. But if Syria does send forces there during the war, however unlikly, I can see Israel pushing forword in Syria, enough for Syrian forces to be called back from Jordan. IOTL the only reason Israel didn't push all the way to Damascus was the Iraqi army, combined with the Syrian, was there to stop it. If we are talking about enough forces being sent to Jordan, they may be cut off there. Again, this all depends on how much initiative the Syrian forces in Jordan show. IOTL they were known for the lack of it.

That guessing Syria any tanks left that send Jordan to pull back help them. I might remind unless Syria some SAM sites I could see Israel air force leaving destroying all Syria tanks there in number of minutes. Even if Syria did bring advance SAM sites it would might able take the Golan Height easily.