WI: Joanna la Beltraneja wins the Castillan Succession War

I'm sure there have already been a few threads dealing with this. I just didn't bother to look for them because I knew that I would have to make a new one anyway, so...

A little context for those of you who aren't familiar with the topic at hand: between 1475 and 1479 the Kingdom of Castile saw a war succession war between the supporters of Isabella I, half-sister of the late king Henry IV, who was married to king Ferdinand II of Aragon, and the supporter of Joanna "la Beltraneja," who may or may not have been king Henry's daughter. At first, it seemed that Joanna's cause was lost, as she wasn't considered legitimate and most of the Castillan nobility was clearly on Isabella's side. However, hope came when king Afonso V of Portugal agreed to marry Joanna and interve in the war on her behalf. Afonso proclaimed himself King of Castille and Léon.

In the end, Isabella won, leading to the union of Castillan and Aragonese crowns and to the history we all know. But what if Joanna won and Castile joined with Portugal instead?

Assuming Afonso becomes king of Castile with full rights and privileges and is able to pass both crowns to any descendent of his, regarddless of weather or not he is also Joanna's descendent, that means that OTL king John II of Portugal will also be king of Castile ITTL.

This is a Castillan noble's worst nightmare! John II was a highly centralist and autocratic king, who severely curtailed the privileges of Portuguese nobility IOTL. It could be said that he came very close to being Europe's first absolute monarch.

This means that Castillan lands will, in this time line, be ruled from Lisbon with an iron fist. Normally, I'd say that would mean an immediate revolt of Castillan nobles against the Portuguese crown. However, the reason why this particular PoD may be interesting when compared to other "Iberian Union" (though not quite, in this case) PoDs is the fact that it implies a large scale restructuring of the Castillan nobility. Most of the really powerful houses supported Isabella, while Joanna's support mostly came from smaller noble families and Castillan nobility of Portuguese-descent, or otherwise families that had strong, recent ties to Portugal.

This has massive consequences! It means that ITTL Castillan nobility is not only comparitively smaller and weaker than it was IOTL, but also largely aligned with Portuguese interests and dependent on Portugal for its continuing prosperity. Furthermore, as Isabella is still around (as Queen consort of Aragon) and may use any chance she has to grab the crown and bring back the old aristocracy, the Castillan nobles have very strong reasons to stay on the side of John II no matter what he does.

This leaves with an extremely centralized, trade-oriented, Portuguese-dominated Kingdom of Portugal, Léon and Castile, which, surprisingly, seems to be stable enough in the short term!

What does this mean for the future of the Iberian Peninsula and the world?

Well Aragon will now focus on the Italies, North Africa, and the Eastern Med.
I suspect they now promote their Latin Romanian credentials.
Things depend if they forge a link with the Habsburgs as OTL or with France. Certainly they'll oppose the Ottomans more strongly.

Well Aragon will now focus on the Italies, North Africa, and the Eastern Med.
I suspect they now promote their Latin Romanian credentials.
Things depend if they forge a link with the Habsburgs as OTL or with France. Certainly they'll oppose the Ottomans more strongly.

Assuming that they don't eventually get dragged into the union as well, yes. Aragon will be even more involved in European political squabbles than OTL Spain was.

Portugal and Castile on the other hand, will be able to focus their entire resources on expanding overseas, and there is a lot they can grab!

Perhaps. Since they have the African route under control would they bankroll anyone wanting to head west?
Even if Columbus never gets funded, Cabral (or his TTL equivalent) will still run across Brazil on the way to India. And that will be interesting enough for a follow-up trip or two, without intra-Iberian conflicts getting in the way.

Meanwhile, North Africa beckons as well (even if it turns out to be mostly a debacle as OTL).

Perhaps. Since they have the African route under control would they bankroll anyone wanting to head west?
Not intentonally, IMO. But ships rounding West Africa will bump into Brazil by 1550 at the latest, and that will spur interest in what else might be out there. Private expeditions will venture along the coasts. It would only take one ambitious push to reach the Caribbean and Meso-America.

Another might find the lands around the La Plata, which would be good for settling. (The Iberians might be more interested in settling without the early example of Cortez in Mexico winning vast amounts of gold and silver.)

With the united power of Portugal and Castile, the Africa/India axis will get more participants. So more posts on the African coast, perhaps a settler colony at the Cape, pre-empting the Dutch or whoever.

Thus, the entire South Atlantic could become a Lusophone milieu.

Last edited:
OOH. This strikes me as a very interesting angle. I can't contribute, knowing nothing of Iberia in the period, but I shall be watching.

One thing I do know is that the Anglo-Portugese alliance was already going strong by this point. Might we see Juana and Alfonso allying with England in the same way Isabella and Ferdinand did OTL, agreeing to make one of their daughters Princess of Wales and the future Queen?

OOH. This strikes me as a very interesting angle. I can't contribute, knowing nothing of Iberia in the period, but I shall be watching.

One thing I do know is that the Anglo-Portugese alliance was already going strong by this point. Might we see Juana and Alfonso allying with England in the same way Isabella and Ferdinand did OTL, agreeing to make one of their daughters Princess of Wales and the future Queen?

Quite possible. Portugal's ties with Britain were strong.

Althought a closer relationship with France (Aragon's historical enemy) may also seem attractive to Portugal-Castile. France supported Juana's claim to the throne

Just a question...what's preventing Alfonso from going OTL Fernando, and shifting his government to Castile?

Is unlikely who Alfonso will become full King of Castile and I think is more likely who Castile will be inhereited by a child of Alfonso and Joanna (likely married to one of the children of Ferdinand and Isabella). Ferdinand do not become full King in Castile in OTL and he was the next in line after Joanna and Isabella (so if both Isabella and Joanna died childless Ferdinand would likely become the next King of Castile) and in OTL he lost control of Castile to Joanna and Philip so I do not think who either Alfonso or John without so such strong ties to Castile would be able to take full control of Castile as Ferdinand and Isabella would be near in Aragon and ready to use a revolt for take back Castile.

Is unlikely who Alfonso will become full King of Castile and I think is more likely who Castile will be inhereited by a child of Alfonso and Joanna (likely married to one of the children of Ferdinand and Isabella). Ferdinand do not become full King in Castile in OTL and he was the next in line after Joanna and Isabella (so if both Isabella and Joanna died childless Ferdinand would likely become the next King of Castile) and in OTL he lost control of Castile to Joanna and Philip so I do not think who either Alfonso or John without so such strong ties to Castile would be able to take full control of Castile as Ferdinand and Isabella would be near in Aragon and ready to use a revolt for take back Castile.

Depends how autocratic he wants to be and how many Portuguese resources he's willing to expend to keep control. It's not going to be easy, but it could be done. I don't see it as any less unlikely than the Tudors seizing control of England, really. If he gets the treasury and the capital, it should be doable.

Ferdinand could not become full king of Castile because OTL large, imensely powerful Castillan aristocracy would not allow. A victory for Joanna's side in the succession means that aristocracy is largely displaced and replaced with a weaker, strongly Portuguese aligned one. Afonso can then keep that aristocracy in check by reminding them of the very real threat of Ferdinand and Isabella.

In my opinion, Afonso has a very good chance at becoming full king if he wins the war.

Question with a Portuguese led union with Castille would the Jews get expelled?

I would say there is a chance they may not be. The Portuguese Crown was a lot more pragmatic when it came to religious issues. IOTL anti-semitic edicts in Portugal were all made as diplomatic moves to reduce tensions with the Catholic Monarchs. Obviously, there will be no need for that ITTL.

That said, some of the upper eschelons of Castillan clergy did support Joanna, so they may have a say in how the country is ran...

Juana was a strong woman, and she wasn't as emotionally invested in the clergy then Isabel. She be far more devoted more to God himself than the church. Her devotion will be more to the beliefs and spiritual figures of Catholicism rather than the temporal structure of the Church.

She be far less gun-ho then Isabel and won't be push around by them. (And can tell Rome to 'shove it'.)

No military orders absorbed into the Crown, and all the colonial interests are given to Portugal. Oh, and all the Jews and maybe Muslims won't be kick out is nice.

So, when we think of colonial expansion, people tend to think of the new world, but Portugal-Castile will certainly try its luck in Africa and Asia first. How will that play out?

Thus, the entire South Atlantic could become a Lusophone milieu.

I honestly don't know about that. Sixteenth century Lisbon was filled with people speaking Castilian. Whenever I think of Portugal and Castile uniting before the sixteenth century, I always wonder about the fate of the Portuguese language. There were more Castilians back then. And if Lisbon is chosen as the capital, it might turn into a Castilian speaking city surrounded by a Portuguese speaking suburban area.

Will, the Inca stands a very good chance of surviving. No Andean silver, you may have ab much more volatile international economic situation, and a more chaotic trade situation. Oh, and Portugal-Castile won't be so depended on Inca silver and have to develop their tax base so that's nice for them.

Also, the Ming stand a very good chance of surviving. They fall at some point, but it won't be the Qing to take they place.