WI: Jimmy Carter in 1992

What if Jimmy Carter ran for President in 1992? What would his presidency look like and who would be VP.

And since it's only one term, what about 1996 and beyond.

If he picks Clinton as VP, I think Clinton wins in 1996.

But before someone says he would not pick another southern on the ticket, think of Al Gore.

1993-1997 Jimmy Carter
1997-2005 Bill Clinton
2005-2013 Al Gore

Why would he want to run (I presume again, this not being some TL where he doesn't run in 1976) again in the first place? :confused: He might be busy enough with Habitat for Humanity work at that point.

Carter actually thought about it in 1984, but was slapped down by the Democratic Party leadership. They'd do it again in 1992: Carter was simply too much a case of damaged goods.

For a non-consecutive Presidency, I think you would be better off looking at Ford in 1980 (say Reagan has health issues) or even Bush Senior in 1996.

The combination of screwing up Iran and being the face of late 70s " malaise" (a time nobody with the possible exception of disco enthusiasts wanted to go back to) are what makes it completely impossible for Carter to pull a Cleveland. Besides the general aversion to retreads in modern American politics, that is.

If he somehow avoids those two things and loses to Reagan in a close race in 1980, then maybe it would be possible, but it would still be a very long shot.

jahenders

Banned
I can't see him ever getting nominated. His presidency is considered flawed in many ways.

If he gets nominated, he loses, probably badly, and it might reflect badly on his running mate.

If he did somehow win, I think the country would definitely be ready for a major change thereafter and his VP would have a hard time running from this record.

Even if all that occurs and Clinton is Pres 1997-2005, there's NO WAY that I can see another Dem would be elected to 2 terms.

What if Jimmy Carter ran for President in 1992? What would his presidency look like and who would be VP.

And since it's only one term, what about 1996 and beyond.

If he picks Clinton as VP, I think Clinton wins in 1996.

But before someone says he would not pick another southern on the ticket, think of Al Gore.

1993-1997 Jimmy Carter
1997-2005 Bill Clinton
2005-2013 Al Gore

Speaking of which, we could always go the whole hog, and make, say, 2000 a Carter vs. Ford rematch, complete with Mondale and Dole as the VP candidates. ;)

*shakes head*

Yer not thinking outside the box enough! Nixion 1984!:eek::rolleyes:

Nixon v. McGovern 1992!

Nixon can raid the Democratic offices, for old time's sake.

Edit: Just remembered that Nixon would be ineligible due to the 22nd Amendment, even though he didn't serve two full terms.

1992 was, according to early commentators and an old SNL sketch, Bush's race to lose. Following '84 and '88, people (especially apathetic Democrats) expected another loss with presumably '96 being the big chance against Quayle or an open seat.

History, obviously, followed a different course, but if for some reason the economy was better, Bush had less trouble with foreign entanglements, or some national tragedy propelled him into popularity amongst even the Republicans if not the nation, then it'd be *really* seen as an unwinnable situation, and maybe you could get the big names (Brown, Clinton, Tsongas) to drop out and wait for next time. Not sure why Jimmy Carter would get involved at all in the race. He endorsed Clinton on April 1st, but I'm not sure what else he was doing that year.

The only way he could run is if apathy was so high and the DNC was sure they would lose. But even then, I imagine there are better candidates willing to jump at a chance to serve as a sacrificial lamb. Once he gets the nomination though, any number of things could suddenly blow Bush out of the water (including the dreaded HRP torpedo), but '92 is still pretty close to the Carter years in memory that the electorate will be driven way, way down and you won't get many MTV voters, making the race a toss-up at best.

A non-consecutive Carter who becomes President would leave the 1996 race wide open. It could very well be Dole v. Clinton, or maybe Carter's recent example would provide motive for Bush or even Ford to try again.