WI: Japanese-Ethiopian Alliance

SinghKing

Banned
Both were nations with an ancient history which successfully repulsed European military advances to dominate them, Ethiopia at the Battle of Adwa, and Japan at the Battle of Tsushima, and as a result both nations considered each other to be potential allies prior to World War II.

Both countries signed a Treaty of Friendship and Commerce in 1930. The next year, Ethiopia reached out to her potential Asian ally when Ethiopian Foreign Minister Heruy Welde Sellase visited Japan in 1931, dramatizing the possible economic and military benefits of cooperation between the two countries. He was received very warmly both by government officials and by the people of Japan. In particular, Japanese ultra-nationalists, wishing to lead an alliance of the "colored peoples" of the world, believed that Ethiopia would play a crucial role in that alliance.

Heruy subsequently wrote of his visit to Japan in his book, Mahidere Birhan: Hagre Japan ("The Document of Japan"), wherein he set forth his belief that Ethiopia and Japan shared a number of similarities, and needed to be more aware of each other; that being said, he recognized that Japan was the more prosperous of the two and had been more successful in its modernisation. The success of this visit outside of Ethiopia is attested by contemporary rumors that the Crown Prince of Ethiopia (Amha Selassie) would marry a princess of the Japanese Imperial family.

In 1934, two Japanese gunboats visited Djibouti, the primary maritime door to Ethiopia, and that same year the Japanese government sent Tsuchida Yutaka on an inspection tour of Ethiopia. Although eager to protect Ethiopia's independence from the predations of the United Kingdom, France, and Italy, and optimistic about commercial opportunities, Tsuchida felt that Japan, far from Ethiopia, could not have an effect on imperialist ambitions there.

However, on the eve of the Second Italo-Ethiopian War, when Ethiopia most needed Japanese help, the Japanese government decided to back Italy instead- starting out on the diplomatic path which would later lead to Japan entering the Anti-Comintern Pact, the Tripartite Pact, and eventually becoming a member of the Axis Powers. The Japanese ambassador to Italy, Dr. Sugimura Yotaro, on 16 July 1935, assured Mussolini that his country held no political interests in Ethiopia, and would remain neutral in Italy's coming war of aggression.

His comments stirred up a furore inside Japan, where there had been popular affinity for the African Empire. Despite Japanese popular opinion being overwhelmingly in favour of intervening of Ethiopia's behalf, when Ethiopia approached Japan for help on 2 August, they were refused completely: even a modest request for the Japanese government to officially state its support for Ethiopia in the coming conflict was denied.

Prior to this, and for some time afterwards, Japan's attitude towards Italy's proposal was generally dismissive, anticipating that an Italo-Japanese alliance would merely antagonize Britain after the British had condemned Italy's invasion of Ethiopia. This attitude by Japan towards Italy altered in 1937, when they faced international isolation after the League of Nations condemned them for their aggression in China, while Italy still remained favourable to Japan. It was only then, as a result of Italy's support for Japan against international condemnation, that Japan started to adopt a more positive attitude towards Italy, and offered proposals for a non-aggression or neutrality pact with Italy.

As such, here's a potential ATL which may be worth considering; WI the Empires of Japan and Ethiopia had actually managed to cement their ties, and had established a military alliance prior to or during the Second Italo-Ethiopian War? The potential POD's I'm looking at, which may have been able to bring about this outcome, would be, A) the proposed marriage of the Crown Prince of Ethiopia, Amha Selassie to a princess of the Japanese Imperial family actually going ahead ITTL (instead of his marriage to Princess Wolete Israel Seyoum), and/or B) Tsuchida Yutaka having greater faith in Japan's ability to project force further afield, advising the Japanese government that they could and should stand against imperial ambitions on Ethiopia. If either or both of these POD's had happened, and the Empires of Japan and Ethiopia had entered into a formal military alliance (either prior to the outbreak of the 2nd Italo-Ethiopian War, or immediately afterwards, accepting the Ethiopians' plea when they approach the Japanese for help), what kind of butterflies might result from this ITTL?

With the Japanese intervening on the Ethiopians' behalf, might the Japanese-Ethiopian alliance be capable of defeating the Italians? And what sort of an impact would it have on the League of Nations (who called upon its members to condemn Italy's aggression and intervene on Ethiopia's behalf IOTL, without success- ITTL, Japan would surely be championed as an exemplary nation within the LoN for accepting the call when no-one else would, and their success could be used to tout the success of the LoN itself), the military alliances being forged elsewhere, and the course of WW2 (if it even happens ITTL)?

Last edited:

SinghKing

Banned
So- any feedback? What kind of an impact would you expect to see this alliance, between the Empires of Japan and Ethiopia, having on the diplomatic and sociopolitical landscape of the world in the 30's? How would international relations be affected, and which different military alliances might come into being ITTL? Could the divergences potentially even snowball to the extent where they're large enough to butterfly away WW2?

So- any feedback? What kind of an impact would you expect to see this alliance, between the Empires of Japan and Ethiopia, having on the diplomatic and sociopolitical landscape of the world in the 30's? How would international relations be affected, and which different military alliances might come into being ITTL? Could the divergences potentially even snowball to the extent where they're large enough to butterfly away WW2?

Well, Italy gets it ass kick by Japan if they still attack, or Japan comes to Ethiopia aid right away. Mussolini might (Most likely) get kick out of power. Japan i think had left the League of Nations by then.

Well, Italy gets it ass kick by Japan if they still attack, or Japan comes to Ethiopia aid right away. Mussolini might (Most likely) get kick out of power. Japan i think had left the League of Nations by then.

Japan's ability to project power into the Indian Ocean strikes me as more than a little questionable. I get the symbolism behind such ties, but when it comes to all-out war with Italy I don't think Japan can actually do much to help. They certainly couldn't affect the ground war much. What are they gonna do, land ten divisions in Ethiopia directly from Japan? Even if that was possible, their army wasn't actually any better than the Italian one and was worse in many respects, especially tanks.

SinghKing

Banned

Ah yes, so they had (on March 27, 1933). So Japanese military intervention in the conflict wouldn't do anything to patch up the League of Nations' structural weaknesses then; but if their alliance did manage to defeat the Italians, it could make things very interesting. So, do you think that this would improve Japan's public image in the Western World (intervening in a conflict to aid the defending nation against an aggressor which has been almost universally condemned)? Or could it actually worsen its public image in the Western World (Japan's intervention on Ethiopia's behalf would doubtless receive the warmest reception from Pan-Africans, and from other anti-colonial activist groups across the globe- virtually all of which are deemed to be subversive terrorist groups by the regimes in Europe and America at this time)?

SinghKing

Banned
Japan's ability to project power into the Indian Ocean strikes me as more than a little questionable. I get the symbolism behind such ties, but when it comes to all-out war with Italy I don't think Japan can actually do much to help. They certainly couldn't affect the ground war much. What are they gonna do, land ten divisions in Ethiopia directly from Japan? Even if that was possible, their army wasn't actually any better than the Italian one and was worse in many respects, especially tanks.

Perhaps the Japanese could start by offering their own version of lend-leasing? And if they're allied with the Ethiopians before the Italians declare war, then their potential ability to project their naval strength should be a noteworthy factor, one which could have severely diminished Italy's logistics train, making it harder for them to get troops there and to keep the Italian troops supplied. Besides, it's not really all-out war with Italy (unless the Ethiopians get carried away, and decide to try and reconquer Eritrea). All the Japanese-Ethiopian alliance need to do is to repel the Italian invaders back out of Ethiopia, or simply inflict enough losses on the Italians to convince them to abandon their invasion, and retreat back to Eritrea to lick their wounds.

I doubt that by the 1930s, anything is large enough to butterfly away WW2, or at least some large conflict. However, this could indeed change it significantly, given the fact that Japan was the one who brought the US into the war in the first place...

There are a few options here, looking forward (and assuming that Japan/Ethiopia actually wins and the Japanese don't join the Axis)

1. Japan attacks the US at some point anyway. This is about medium likelihood, given the fact that there was an OTL argument about whether to attack them or not. If they do attack the US, then there will most likely be a "Pacific War" alongside the Second World War, with one war being Japan vs. the US and the other being the Axis (minus Japan) vs. the Allies (minus US).

2. Japan goes after Russia. Also an OTL option. After Hitler kicks off Operation Barbossa, Japan might decide that now's the perfect time to invade and take a good chunk of resource-rich Siberia. US probably doesn't get involved at all in this scenario, and it would probably end with a Japanese-Soviet stalemate (albeit one significantly in Japanese favor) and a Soviet/Allied victory in the West.

3. Japan chills.

4. Japan goes after England/the Dutch. Probably the most likely and logical option here, given that the English were busy in the West and the Dutch didn't exactly exist as a nation anymore. Plus, it secures a large supply of raw materials for the Japanese, which was something that they definitely needed at that point. The question is, however, if they can hold themselves back after that, or if their bloodthirstiness exceeds their sense and they go for options 1 or 2.

Two things. It's a very interesting idea, I think I saw something like this before - years ago, I think. It was a TL but I can't find it for the moment.

First: the only marriages I can think of where Japan gave away the royal family to other royal families was for Korea and Manchukuo - both of which were subordinates to Japan. Would Japan be so willing to cement a relationship with a nation it may not even know a lot about? Furthermore, would they want to give out the royal family merely for the sake of "strengthening ties"?

Second: Japan's potential for increasing projection of its power and the confidence that comes with it would not come until it sees great success in China. Japan's sole objective at hand and the sole objective for a very long time was China, and that isn't going to change for Ethiopia. If Ethiopia somehow can be a significant asset in Japan's incursion into China, I'm sure Japan would faithfully ally with Ethiopia - like how it did with Siam, another successfully neutral power.

Those were my two cents.
Sincerely
Zeppelinair

Perhaps the Japanese could start by offering their own version of lend-leasing? And if they're allied with the Ethiopians before the Italians declare war, then their potential ability to project their naval strength should be a noteworthy factor, one which could have severely diminished Italy's logistics train, making it harder for them to get troops there and to keep the Italian troops supplied. Besides, it's not really all-out war with Italy (unless the Ethiopians get carried away, and decide to try and reconquer Eritrea). All the Japanese-Ethiopian alliance need to do is to repel the Italian invaders back out of Ethiopia, or simply inflict enough losses on the Italians to convince them to abandon their invasion, and retreat back to Eritrea to lick their wounds.

It would still be a significant expenditure of Japanese resources (which were sorely lacking, I think they had less industrial capacity than Italy too) for zero actual gain. The Japanese militarists weren't exactly rational, but they could be counted on to look out for their own interests. The western half of the Indian Ocean was so far out of their wheelhouse as to be completely irrelevant to their decision-making. Plus, if I'm reading you correctly and you're suggesting that they get a basing agreement with the Ethiopians to have troops and or warships there before war breaks out, then that will only alarm the British, again for no gain. If that's not what you have in mind, and there aren't concrete material arrangements between the two in place before war breaks out, then I don't think they could be arranged in the several months the war takes. Japanese decision-making would probably be outpaced by events on the ground.

SinghKing

Banned
I doubt that by the 1930s, anything is large enough to butterfly away WW2, or at least some large conflict. However, this could indeed change it significantly, given the fact that Japan was the one who brought the US into the war in the first place...

There are a few options here, looking forward (and assuming that Japan/Ethiopia actually wins and the Japanese don't join the Axis)

1. Japan attacks the US at some point anyway. This is about medium likelihood, given the fact that there was an OTL argument about whether to attack them or not. If they do attack the US, then there will most likely be a "Pacific War" alongside the Second World War, with one war being Japan vs. the US and the other being the Axis (minus Japan) vs. the Allies (minus US).

2. Japan goes after Russia. Also an OTL option. After Hitler kicks off Operation Barbossa, Japan might decide that now's the perfect time to invade and take a good chunk of resource-rich Siberia. US probably doesn't get involved at all in this scenario, and it would probably end with a Japanese-Soviet stalemate (albeit one significantly in Japanese favor) and a Soviet/Allied victory in the West.

3. Japan chills.

4. Japan goes after England/the Dutch. Probably the most likely and logical option here, given that the English were busy in the West and the Dutch didn't exactly exist as a nation anymore. Plus, it secures a large supply of raw materials for the Japanese, which was something that they definitely needed at that point. The question is, however, if they can hold themselves back after that, or if their bloodthirstiness exceeds their sense and they go for options 1 or 2.

Option 5 (/Option obvious). Japan (and Ethiopia) immediately go after Italy's adjacent colonies, looking to take Eritrea and Italian Somaliland (since this may not be very viable in the initial conflict). Simple enough to achieve, this would fulfil Ethiopia's desire for revenge and to reclaim its former territory, and it would also provide Japan with a major naval base in the Indian Ocean, ideally situated to block off shipping via the Suez Canal in the event of war with the other European colonials.

Option 6. Japan goes after other regions with more of a 'soft power' approach, making good use of the good will which their military intervention garnered for them among anti-colonial movements across the globe by undermining the colonial rule of the Europeans in many regions. By supporting and supplying insurrection movements in the colonies, and deploying their military when and where they can get away with it, Japan could potentially use this as a basis to bring any members who manage to cast off the shackles of European Imperialism under the sway of Japanese Imperialism instead; expanding its sphere of influence, its geopolitical power and its economic clout by facilitating the creation of its own puppet governments.

So, could this POD potentially lead to the Japanese (and Ethiopians, who may still remain relevant ITTL), becoming members of the Allies (minus USA) instead? After all, the British and French vocally condemned Italy's actions- they'd look even weaker than they did IOTL if they didn't support the Ethiopians once they're winning. After all, they wouldn't want Japan to get all of the credit for it- and they'd want to gain their shares of the spoils in Eritrea &/or Italian Somaliland, rather than running the risk of either Ethiopia or the Japanese over-running these territories and acquiring them for themselves. Simple self-interest should provide enough motive for the Brits and the French to support the Japanese and Ethiopians in the conflict.

And if the Japanese-Ethiopian Alliance succeeds and achieves victory against the Italians, then you can be sure than they'll be placed near the top of the list of targets for the Italians in the Axis ITTL. In this scenario, then Ethiopia at the very least could continue to industrialize after warding off the invasion, and they'd be more than willing to join the Allies in order to complete their revenge against the Italians and potentially reacquire Eritrea. The Japanese, likewise- if there are prizes up for grabs, why not join the Allies? After all, there's no way Hitler would be able to bring both Italy and Japan into his alliance ITTL after such a recent war between them. ITTL, the Axis Powers either remain strictly European, or Hitler turns to option B, and brings KMT China into the Axis in Japan's stead. In the latter scenario, the Japanese would definitely want to join the Allies; and the Allies would probably welcome them aboard.

And if so, could you see potentially see the anti-Japanese USA (probably increasingly so ITTL- after all, by intervening militarily on Ethiopia's behalf, the Empire of Japan's put on by far the strongest and most powerful display of support for Pan-Africanism and the Black Power movement of any nation in the world, and even if the Italians win the war, Japan would still be seen as having taken a stand for anti-colonialism and racial equality) becoming a member of the Axis Powers instead ITTL?

Last edited:
I did ask about this in a thread last year, but it did not really go anywhere.
Here is the thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=309799

Anyway, I will put down briefly my thoughts. First, the reasons for it. There was considerable public support in Militarist Japan in favor of helping Ethiopia. There were public protests when Japan supported Italy instead, which is known as the Sugimura Affair. It was a relatively minor affair, of course, but if someone within the Japanese government so wished, I believe support for Ethiopia (and, if it comes to it, standing up to or even defeating Italy) could be a way to win public support for one faction or another. Second, it might be seen as a good way to win more prestige for the IJN. While it is true that the IJA and their supporters within Japan were concentrating on a continental strategy--expansion in China, and shoring up defenses against the Soviet threat--the IJN was only minimally involved in this conflict, prior to 1937. Indeed, I would go as far as to argue a large motivating factor in the Battle for Shanghai in 1932 was simply the desire on the part of the IJN to be seen as doing something to defend Japanese interests while the IJA seemed to be hogging the spotlight with easy victories in Manchuria. So there will be many within the IJN who would be tempted by a foreign policy success, particularly one which would be almost wholly a naval affair. Jockeying for power with the IJA was not merely a matter of pride. At a time when Militarists from both services were expanding their power within the halls of the Japanese government, and when military budgets took an ever-larger share of government spending, winning prestige was the only sure way that the IJN could ensure their voice maintained powerful within the government, and expanding naval power, which also reinforced domestic power. For the IJN, prestige could quite literally be seen as an existential concern. Lastly, there were many leading Japanese admirals and civil servants who strongly desired to repair ties with the West, and particularly the British--all the more so if tied could be begun to be repaired without giving up any of the recent Japanede gains. Older Japanese admirals in particular tended to be in favor of the best possible ties with the UK. Not a few were outright Anglophiles, who had (in contrast with the younger generation now climbing the ranks) been young men during the public exaultation that greeted the signing of the Anglo-Japanese Alliance, its renewal and expansion in 1912, and perhaps had served with the British with the Japanese naval deployment in the Med in the first war. It was well-known both in Japan and elsewhere that the UK opposed the Italian aggression in Africa, but was unwilling to oppose it by force. Militarist Japan lacks the ability to maintain a fleet detachment in the Red Sea to inderdict the RM on her own. However, if Britain agreed to open imperial ports to Japanese ships, and allow them to refuel there and store munitions there, then it should be possible for the IJN to act. By allowing IJN ships to use British ports (e.g. Aden) would be a way for the British to voice their extreme displeasure with Italian actions. It would be a British option than is stronger than OTL's lackluster oil embargo, but still a step far short of a direct British military action against Italy. For those Japanese in the navy and the foreign service who strongly favor strengthening ties with the British, then, deploying the IJN with the agreement of His Majesty's government would be a great way to win prestige for the IJN both at home and abroad. Not a few would be tempted, I think.

So, now time for the arguments against supporting Ethiopia. First, there are many people, particularly within the army, but some outside it, who felt that Militarist Japan's future lied with Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany. These groups will argue strongly in favor of supporting Italy, not least as another power and potential future ally who is on the outs with the LoN. Certaintly, Ethiopia does not make nearly as promising an ally as does Italy, and it could be argued that supporting Italy is more likely to make a friend of that nation than supporting Ethiopia is likely to renew friendship with Britain. They will also be able to argue that deploying a major Japanese naval force (quite unlike the destroyer detachment sent to the Med in 1917) to the western Indian Ocean will itself upset the British. I personally do not think this is overly likely, as London will understand that the IJN can only operate this far west for any length of time with their cooperation. Nevertheless, it may be a precedent that the British would rather not be set. This argument would undercut the arguments in favor I made above. The final reason against such a deployment is, of course, the risk involved. I see no reason not to assume that Japan would not win a purely naval action. Japan had something like a four-to-one advantage in capital ships, and their advantage in heavy guns is even greater. Militarist Japan could easily dispatch a force that would greatly overmatch the entire Italian navy, while still leaving a decent screening force at home. However, none of this means that the IJN detachment would escape unscathed. In particular, I would worry a bit about Italian air attack. High-level bombing was not a real threat to ships at sea at this time, but air-dropped torpedos may well be. Naval mines may pose a threat as well. The fundamental problem is that any Japanese effort to prevent an Italian conquest of Ethiopia will be primarily a naval interdiction action. This means that the IJN detachment will have to hang around East Africa until Italy throws in the towel. The longer this takes, the more likely that Italy manages to inflict some damage on the Japanese ships. The entire war, if undertaken, would be in order to increase the prestige of the IJN, with the Japanese public, with the Japanese government, and with the Brits. It would not be a war in which fundamental Japanese interests are at stake. Therefore, the tolerance for dead soldiers and lost ships will be very low. Many would argue, why risk it?

I think it is possible to write a plausible enough timeline in which a large part of the IJN sorties to defend Ethiopia, but it takes some doing. Should you choose to write this as a TL, please feel free to PM me.

The problem for anything like this is that the Japanese need some base for their ship as Ethiopia is landlocked, otherwise they must very politely ask to France and Uk some basin right...and this is difficult, due to both the actual relationship with said power and the fact that Paris and London have already sold Ethiopia to try to keep Italy on the pact against Germany and supporting Japan in this endevour is not good to achieve this objective.

Regarding proper Japanese support, well the army is even worse equipped of the italian one and they (and the navy) will operate so way past their logisitic line to be extremely problematic (just to use an understatment).
Land lease like agreement is possible, but Japan is poor and whatever scrap for Abyssinia mean that can't be used for China or defensively against Russia...and this option will not make many happy in Tokio.

Not counting the italian biggest advantage aka that her Navy and Air Force have air force assets and naval base in site, while the IJN is awfully distant from their own.

Finally, why all that effort for basically nothing as i doubt the UK will be very pleased if Japan gain some influence/base in the zone and the logistic and economic effort will be very important for the Japanese economy.

Its an interesting scenario even if a long shot.
Found this on the Italian airforce in East Africa prior to and during the war http://www.ordersofbattle.darkscape...AirForceinItalianEastAfrica1919-1939PartI.pdf
Interesting info on Italian bombers being Caproni Ca 101s of different versions basically a Fokker F-VII passenger plane like the Ju52s of Spanish Civil War fitted for bombing and the more seemingly capable Ca 111 though all in few numbers prior to October 3, 1935; which of course could alter ITTL.
Not much of a threat to the IJN should they manage to go.
And no SM79 torpedobombers if that is clouding the perception.

Intersting read on the old thread - mainly the idea of the Brits letting the Germans do the clandestine work on supplying the IJN with fuel.

Whichever way you look at it the 1930's was an interesting time. Alliances may shift and even Socialdemocratic leader of Denmark Stauning thought of rearmament to counter nazi aspirations!
Just saying nothings impossible and war do make strangebedfellows but think this would be difficult to pull off but an interesting read. :cool:

I would love to see a TL based on this idea.

The biggest issue I could think of and what has already been mentioned is power projection. Japan was fairly isolated up and until WWII and it's ability to project power is for the most part limited to Asia. The Japaneses Government did what made sense for them at the time. They could have made a show of support or threatened to intervene, but Japan simply does not have the power project necessary to make the more than a symbolic showing.

As already states Japan has had a long standing fascination with Africa and Ethiopia. You need to make Japan less isolationist. Encouraging some sort of business venture in Ethiopia would help. All you need is some sort of economic reason to add to the relations with Ethiopia. This is up to debate of course.

Another thing you need to do is limit the Ottoman Sphere or to have Japan involved in the Middle East Theater of WWI. Basically up and until the First World War, the Horn of Africa was considered under the influence of the Ottoman Empire. Any attempt to challenge this would have been violently opposed. Post WW1 Turkey had no way to enforce it's position over Africa any longer, which allowed Italy to start making moved in the first place. If Japan could have some sort of valid reason to intervene in that theater could help

Another thing you need to do is limit the Ottoman Sphere or to have Japan involved in the Middle East Theater of WWI. Basically up and until the First World War, the Horn of Africa was considered under the influence of the Ottoman Empire. Any attempt to challenge this would have been violently opposed. Post WW1 Turkey had no way to enforce it's position over Africa any longer, which allowed Italy to start making moved in the first place. If Japan could have some sort of valid reason to intervene in that theater could help

Turkey ceased to be a power in the horn of Africa in the late decades of the 19th century, when France, UK and Italy decided to carve up the place

SinghKing

Banned
I would love to see a TL based on this idea.

The biggest issue I could think of and what has already been mentioned is power projection. Japan was fairly isolated up and until WWII and it's ability to project power is for the most part limited to Asia. The Japaneses Government did what made sense for them at the time. They could have made a show of support or threatened to intervene, but Japan simply does not have the power project necessary to make the more than a symbolic showing.

As already states Japan has had a long standing fascination with Africa and Ethiopia. You need to make Japan less isolationist. Encouraging some sort of business venture in Ethiopia would help. All you need is some sort of economic reason to add to the relations with Ethiopia. This is up to debate of course.

So, which sort of business venture might be feasible? For instance, what if the Mitsui Zaibatsu group's tobacco subsidiary decides to exploit the potential of khat, as the ideal product to get around the complete nationalization of Japan's booming tobacco industry by the government, and the prohibitions which banned all businesses from distributing tobacco products in Japan? If Ethiopian khat becomes a lucrative cash crop for them, could the agricultural benefits justify greater industrial and military investment in Ethiopia by the zaibatsu, and eventually by the Japanese government?

Or could the Ethiopians themselves have potentially been able to foster such a link- for instance, WI Tekle Hawariat Tekle Mariyam (a renowned Ethiopian intellectual and Japanizer, he was the primary author of Ethiopia's July 16 1931 constitution, heavily influenced by the Japanese Meiji Constitution), had been posted/exiled to become the new Ethiopian minister to Japan/the Far East after being ousted as Minister of Finance (in Oct 1932, due largely to his efforts to make the office efficient and responsible, which led to inevitable conflicts not only with traditional-minded ministers, but with the Emperor himself, who wasn't happy about his attempts to draw a distinction between the public purse and the private accounts of the emperor), instead of being sent to become the Ethiopian minister to London, Paris, and Geneva as IOTL?

BTW, about the imperial link which never came to be- here's a more in-depth article about it, and the reasons why it never came to be IOTL. The rumors about the marriage of crown prince Amha Selassie to an actual princess of the Japanese Imperial family may well have only been sensationalist rumours, but the following marriage actually came extremely close to happening IOTL. It offers a fair few potential PODs- WI the marriage had gone ahead, WI the marriage had never been widely publicised by the Europeans, or WI the marriage had never been proposed in the first place (thereby averting the diplomatic backlash against Japanese-Ethiopian co-operation caused by the symbolic threat of the couple's proposed union)?

The 126th ruler of the Solomonic Dynasy Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia, and the 124th monarch of the Jimu Dynasty Emperor Hirohito of Japan, represented longstanding cultures led by royal nobility. So when it was heavily reported that Lij Araya Abebe, a nephew of the Emperor, was looking for marriage from a young noble lady from Japan, it caused great trepidation among the European powers.

Ethiopia and Japan had been communicating for some time concerning their economic and political interests. While accompanying the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Blattengetta Hiruy Wolde Selassie, on a trip to Japan in 1930 to sign a Treaty of Friendship and Commerce, Lij Araya apparently became enamoured with the people of Japan, as did others who were impressed with their rapid industrial development, and wanted to take the relationship one step further. When it was reported that the “prince” of Ethiopia was interested in marriage with a Japanese woman aristocrat, Mr. Sumioka Tomoyoshi, and other businessmen, saw an opportunity to increase relations between the two countries.

A number of trade missions were arranged to Ethiopia where the Japanese farming interests sought to secure some 500,000 hectares of land for cotton and other products, and land for immigrant families to settle. Emperor Selassie had recently signed a new constitution largely based on the Japanese model. Some young Ethiopian progressive intellectuals called “Japanizers” had been arguing that Japan was a good model for modern development and supported marriage between the upper classes of the two countries. Many Japanese nationalists thought it was necessary to unite the colored races against the white.

Mr. Sumioka impressed Lij Araya and quickly set up arrangements for a wife to be found. Advertisements for select woman in Japan were circulated. Many young ladies were attracted to proposition of marrying this handsome, royal, single Christian and about sixty applications were received. The first choice fell to Ms. Kuroda Masako, the 23yr old daughter of Viscount Kuroda Hiroyuki, a descendant from the former Lord of Kazusa, of the forestry bureau of the Imperial Household. Athletic, and trained in the English language, she immediately took up studies in Ethiopian culture, and believed herself to be the first of many to immigrate to Ethiopia.

Unfortunately for the couple, as word spread of the impending marriage, alarm bells were going off all over Europe. Ethiopia’s envoy Daba Birru, who served as an interpreter for Wolde Selassie, continued negotiations in principle for arms, and engendered the goodwill and some needed supplies from Japan. Italy was jealous of Japan’s potential alliance with Ethiopia. Russia tried to convince other European countries of the threat of an African-Asiatic force. Italy implicated Japan in sending weapons and military training to Ethiopia. England and France became concerned that their stakes in the region would be threatened. As business negotiations began to increase, both the Japanese and Ethiopian governments became concerned about the negative publicity. Already, rumors circulated at the League of Nations about opium farming in Ethiopia.

Due to Japan’s increased trade with African countries, European media reported Japan as the “Yellow Peril” and a threat to their economic interests. Japan tried to cut its losses and attempted to find common ground with Italy on business dealings in China; promising not to interfere with Italian interests in East Asia, encouraging importation of Italian wine and an exchange of students and teachers between them. Ultimately, very little business did come about between Ethiopia and Japan, due to a lack of investors and government precaution.

Alas, the “fairy-tale” marriage between the “African prince” and “Asian princess” was not to be. The symbolic threat of this union was too much too ignore. Who knows what might have become of such an alliance? As it turned out, Japan’s joining with the Axis Powers of Germany and Italy in WWII turned out to be a losing hand to say the least. Ethiopia could certainly have used the support of Japan in its fight against Italy’s attempt at colonization. On the other hand, would race prove to be a strong enough factor to prevent the European interests in Asia and Africa?

Mr. Sumioka, instrumental in arranging the whole affair, was reported to have received a Commander Class of the Order of Menelik II by Emperor Haile Selassie I, and predicted an Ethiopian victory over Italy. Not much was ever heard again of Miss Kuroda, who insisted that her marriage should go ahead as planned, but to no avail. Blattengetta Hiruy Wolde Selassie, often referred to as the father of Amharic literature and an extraordinary diplomat, was a great supporter of the alliance with Japan, and went into exile in England with the Emperor during the Italian occupation of Ethiopia. He eventually died there in 1938. Daba Birru gave himself over to the Italian side.

Lij Araya Abebe would go to the United States and work with Dr. Melaku Bayen in fundraising for the war effort against the Italians in the African American community, and with the Ethiopian World Federation. He served as ambassador to Greece and Minister of Public Works, among other positions in the Imperial government. He eventually married Woizero Mulumebet Abebe, sister of Crown Princess (later Empress-in-Exile) Medferiashwork Abebe, and had a son, Lij Amde Araya. He passed quietly in a Virginia suburb of Washington, DC in 2002.

(Primary source: Dai Nihon, Tokyo by Hiruy Wolde Selassie, 1934. Secondary source: Alliance of the Colored Peoples: Ethiopia and Japan Before World War II by Joseph Calvitt Clarke III, Professor Emeritus of History, Jacksonville University, Florida.)

Last edited:
How much would the IJN need to actually do to change the outcome of the war ?

Would they need to send more than a few CAs ? (depends what the Italians have in east of the Suez canal ?)

I don't think you need to send BBs as the Italians will be very worried about sending any the wrong side of the canal when GB might not let them back.(they might think its a sneekey trick to draw off the RM battle line by the RN/MN)
Even if you do they have nothing that could fight a Kongo so you are talking about a small fleet, 1 BC or 2/4 CAs and escorts + support ships.