WI: Isabella of Jerusalem born male

So, what if Isabella, only child of Amalric of Jerusalem and his second wife Maria Comnene, was a boy?

Assuming this doesn’t change Amalric’s movements too much, he’ll still die on campaign when the kid (...Amalric Jnr? Fulk?) is a toddler.

Would there be any consideration of passing over the teenage leper Baldwin in favour of his
half-brother?

If not, the kid will be in his teens when Baldwin dies.

How does his existence effect the domestic situation, factioneering and what not during Baldwin’s reign?

Would Sibylla marry differently if she’s not coming with a crown attached? Presumably her husband (OTL or not) would want a stake in any potential regency?

Well...this would be interesting. Not sure if it’ll prevent the destruction of the Kingdom of Jerusalem but perhaps (through the flapping of a butterflies wings) prevent its defeat at the hands of Saladin? Maybe relations between the Kommenid dynasty and the crusaders will be more friendly? Of course Manuel Kommenos will need to be more successful against the Turks in order to be a greater aid to them.

So, what if Isabella, only child of Amalric of Jerusalem and his second wife Maria Comnene, was a boy?

Assuming this doesn’t change Amalric’s movements too much, he’ll still die on campaign when the kid (...Amalric Jnr? Fulk?) is a toddler.

Would there be any consideration of passing over the teenage leper Baldwin in favour of his
half-brother?

If not, the kid will be in his teens when Baldwin dies.

How does his existence effect the domestic situation, factioneering and what not during Baldwin’s reign?

Would Sibylla marry differently if she’s not coming with a crown attached? Presumably her husband (OTL or not) would want a stake in any potential regency?

Well...this would be interesting. Not sure if it’ll prevent the destruction of the Kingdom of Jerusalem but perhaps (through the flapping of a butterflies wings) prevent its defeat at the hands of Saladin? Maybe relations between the Kommenid dynasty and the crusaders will be more friendly? Of course Manuel Kommenos will need to be more successful against the Turks in order to be a greater aid to them.
Well if Isabella is born as Fulk, Sibylla’s disastrous second wedding in the end will not matter at all (as Guy can be left powerless if Sibylla do not inherit the Crown) AND as the disaster of Hattin and the subsequent fall of Jerusalem were caused by Guy‘s decision to fight Saladin on open field, leaving Jerusalem practically undefended, against the better counsel of the men who were his personal enemies but here would be either the regents or the biggest councilors of young Fulk I will say who with a male Isabella Jerusalem’ s fall would be prevented and the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem would survive more or less intact at least for some more years...

So, IOTL after the death of Baldwin IV it appears that the regency was given to Raymond III of Tripoli and care of the king's person to Joscelin III of Courtenay. Joscelin is out of the running here- he's no relation to *Fulk (as opposed to OTL where he was Baldwin V's great-uncle)- but I imagine Raymond is still a likely regent?

It's probable there's still a hawkish faction- with Sibylla and her husband (whether that's Guy or someone else, due to butterflies) potential figureheads- but Raymond has a better grip on power here, especially if he has a good relationship with the teenaged *Fulk II.

Would Maria Comnene still remarry here? Because Balian might then want some stake in his step-son's government (though Balian obviously worked with Raymond IOTL), and assorted Ibelin half-siblings might do well out of *Fulk's reign.

Of course, the absolute best case scenario for the stability of the kingdom is Baldwin IV eking out a few more years and leaving the throne to an already adult half-brother, but I'm not sure that's likely.

Though if things go as OTL the Komnenids would be deposed by the time *Fulk assumes the throne.

Well if Isabella is born as Fulk, Sibylla’s disastrous second wedding in the end will not matter at all (as Guy can be left powerless if Sibylla do not inherit the Crown) AND as the disaster of Hattin and the subsequent fall of Jerusalem were caused by Guy‘s decision to fight Saladin on open field, leaving Jerusalem practically undefended, against the better counsel of the men who were his personal enemies but here would be either the regents or the biggest councilors of young Fulk I will say who with a male Isabella Jerusalem’ s fall would be prevented and the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem would survive more or less intact at least for some more years...

I imagine in the longer term it depends on what *Fulk's competence and personality are like- though having his upbringing overseen by uncle Baldwin and then Raymond bodes well.

Do we expect the truce with Saladin to hold through *Fulk's minority, despite the activities of agitators like Reynald of Chatillon? Or is it a matter of hostilities with Saladin still breaking out, but things going less disastrously for the Crusaders without Guy's inept leadership?

A delayed/averted Third Crusade also has interesting effects back in Europe- Barbarossa not drowning, Richard not bleeding England dry etc.

So, IOTL after the death of Baldwin IV it appears that the regency was given to Raymond III of Tripoli and care of the king's person to Joscelin III of Courtenay. Joscelin is out of the running here- he's no relation to *Fulk (as opposed to OTL where he was Baldwin V's great-uncle)- but I imagine Raymond is still a likely regent?

It's probable there's still a hawkish faction- with Sibylla and her husband (whether that's Guy or someone else, due to butterflies) potential figureheads- but Raymond has a better grip on power here, especially if he has a good relationship with the teenaged *Fulk II.

Would Maria Comnene still remarry here? Because Balian might then want some stake in his step-son's government (though Balian obviously worked with Raymond IOTL), and assorted Ibelin half-siblings might do well out of *Fulk's reign.

Of course, the absolute best case scenario for the stability of the kingdom is Baldwin IV eking out a few more years and leaving the throne to an already adult half-brother, but I'm not sure that's likely.

Though if things go as OTL the Komnenids would be deposed by the time *Fulk assumes the throne.

I imagine in the longer term it depends on what *Fulk's competence and personality are like- though having his upbringing overseen by uncle Baldwin and then Raymond bodes well.

Do we expect the truce with Saladin to hold through *Fulk's minority, despite the activities of agitators like Reynald of Chatillon? Or is it a matter of hostilities with Saladin still breaking out, but things going less disastrously for the Crusaders without Guy's inept leadership?

A delayed/averted Third Crusade also has interesting effects back in Europe- Barbarossa not drowning, Richard not bleeding England dry etc.
I can not see many reason fur butterflying Maria and Balian’s wedding so is pretty likely who Balian will get the care of the King‘s person here while Raymond will get the regency...
That will keep natives who know well the reality of Outremere at the helm of the kingdom...

Battles with the Arabs will likely still be fought but we will see more Keraks and no Hattins...
Barbarossa will likely survive as I can not see him going personally in the Holy Land without Jerusalem’s fall, but I think the Third Crusade will still happen more or less in the same years (more in the style of the Second than the OTL Third)... again I do not know what Philippe II will do but Richard will most likely take the cross (and so will likely help his young cousin in giving at least an hard time to Saladin and his men, likely favoring the latter’s fall)

Last edited:
Barbarossa will likely survive as I can not see him going personally in the Holy Land without Jerusalem’s fall, but I think the Third Crusade will still happen more or less in the same years (more in the style of the Second than the OTL Third)...

Presumably there’d be less popular enthusiasm and something of a lack of urgency without the fall of Jerusalem, though?

And what would the Crusaders aim at once they get there?