WI: Indiana Jones 4 made earlier?

What do you think the reaction to Indiana Jones 4 would have been if it were made earlier, say sometime between 1995-2000?

Garrison

Donor
What do you think the reaction to Indiana Jones 4 would have been if it were made earlier, say sometime between 1995-2000?
Well it probably means they don't try the whole passing the torch them they were clearly going for with a younger Harrison Ford, probably more focused om being a last hurrah for Indy movie

It probably would've been more of a crowd-pleaser by virtue of Ford being younger and the potential return of Connery. I could see them bringing back Marion still, but probably no passing of the torch as said above.

Last edited:
Maybe they are in South America, trying to find the real El Dorado, or something?
Raiders of the Lost Ark started with Indie stealing a golden Idol from an Amazonian tribe so perhaps a different 4th film has him discovering the cave he stole it from hides the entrance to the Lost City of the Sun.

Raiders of the Lost Ark started with Indie stealing a golden Idol from an Amazonian tribe so perhaps a different 4th film has him discovering the cave he stole it from hides the entrance to the Lost City of the Sun.
However, I have no objections to Soviet bad guys instead of Nazi bad guys being in alt-IJ4.

Driftless

Donor
It probably would've been more of a crowd-pleaser by virtue of Ford being younger and the potential return of Connery. I could see them bringing back Marion still, but probably no passing of the torch as said above.

No crystal skull

Maybe they are in South America, trying to find the real El Dorado, or something?

However, I have no objections to Soviet bad guys instead of Nazi bad guys being in alt-IJ4.

All of those work for me....

An earlier IJ4, dispenses with Shia Leboef (no loss as far as I'm concerned), No Cate Blanchett (boy, what a waste of her great talent in the OTL version)

OR, a complete shift of locale to the Antarctic with Nazis and a Hollow Earth theme. That leaves room for both the supernatural hoodoo and Luft-46 type technology

Last edited:
An earlier IJ4, dispenses with Shia Leboef (no loss as far as I'm concerned), No Cate Blanchett (boy, what a waste of her great talent in the OTL version)
IMHO the problem wasn't Shia LaBeouf. It was that was all around bad writing. His character just happened to be poorly written, so he didn't much to work with.

Driftless

Donor
IMHO the problem wasn't Shia LaBeouf. It was that was all around bad writing. His character just happened to be poorly written, so he didn't much to work with.
No argument on the writing. However, I've never cared for LeBeouf period, so that's my bias... ;)

Last edited:
An earlier Indy 4 gets a few things going for it.

It will be set earlier as it wont have to accommodate as old of an Indy.
It will be filmed sooner so it will be more practical effects and less (Bad) CGI
Less CGI means it is more realistic. So hopefully no nuking the fridge or swinging through the jungle. CGI can (aguably) do anything and we got a lot of movies with ansurd stuff such as surfing on a tidalwave and still do such as helicopters carrying ancient wood ships. So being pre CGI will help.

wwbgdiaslt

Gone Fishin'
I did doodle ideas for an Indy 4 (Indiana Jones and the Garden of Eden) which would have released in 1992/93, it moves us to after WW2, and began with Indy tutoring at Oxford and being recruited by George VI - it was set in France, the Arctic and Iraq.

What are the Soviets doing in the Amazon though?
Perhaps some group associated with the Proletkult movement (yes am aware it was dead by this point but let's just say they survived as an uber-secret USSR occult agency) wants to use some artifact to build a god who will help them finally defeat capitalism once and for all. Then it turns out the god represented by the artifact is actually evil and is manipulating the Soviets to do its bidding so it can conquer out reality. The Soviets split over the whether to do this Gods bidding or not, then we get the Good Guy TM Soviets helping Jones against the Bad Guy TM Soviets and banish the god away from our reality, in the process accidentally discovering El Dorado.

Well, it certainly couldn't be any worse than Crystal Skull, a horrible addition to the franchise.
A late WW2 or early post-war setting seems to make sense - something in devasted Berlin, or a Latin America with Nazi escapees might work.