WI: How Can These Monarchies Survive?

Provided they are not annexed by the German Empire, hungary might have a habsburg king.

What about an independent kingdom of Hungary-Bohemia-wherever else, while Austria winds up inside the German empire? It'd probably need a POD before 1800 to get it right though (War of the Austrian Succession perhaps?)

It’s more complicated than that. Guangxu’s reforms were utterly unrealistic and demanded too much changes in way too short a time.Reforms later conducted by Cixi herself were way more practical.

Didn't Cixi sort of wind up in power unexpectedly? I mean her husband died youngish, and Cixi was part of a coup to replace the man whom her husband designated regent. And then her son died with no kids. So while I'm not sure that the original regent or for her son to survive would've been better, would her husband living longer not make a difference?

I could see Bohemia and Moravia not being annexed, or maybe only the German bits. Czech Silesia might be annexed regardless though.

Germany probably would ratherly prefer Bohemia being part of Germany. But if Bohemia gain independence, it would be probably just puppet of Germany.

Germany probably would ratherly prefer Bohemia being part of Germany. But if Bohemia gain independence, it would be probably just puppet of Germany.
I"m not sure German would want the Slavs. I was thinking a puppet monarchy under the Schwarzenburg dynasty.

To make sure the Monarchy is kept in Portugal you need a 19th century PoD. Maybe Peter V survives the disease that did away with him in OTL.

Kaze

Banned
There is another option with China --
There is the Ming / Confucius route. During the last days of the Qing, many wanted the restoration of the Ming Emperor or a descendant of Confucius on the throne. Say that they are successful - there you go a different monarch. The problem comes the rest of Chinese history - World War Two and Chairman Mao in particular - something would have to be done about them; the latter is easily solved - Mao becomes Prime Minister, the former is also solved by having them fight united against the Japanese.

Grey Wolf

Donor
You know that Italy was still a monarchy during Mussolini's reign, right?

Yeah, but Victor Emmanuele left everything other than public appearances to him. He didn't want to be king originally and was happy someone took the constitutional burden on. It's noteworthy that when he finally reacquired his powers his first act was to depose Mussolini and his second act was to RUN AWAY

althisfan

Banned
I"m not sure German would want the Slavs. I was thinking a puppet monarchy under the Schwarzenburg dynasty.
Prior to Czechoslovakia, Moravia and Bohemia had HUGE German populations, 1/3 of the population is German. It's not like the Slavic population of about 7 million would be a risk if to the rest of Germany (65 million plus the new 3 million Germans in Bohemia/Moravia and 6 million Austrians). The Slavs would be around 8% of the total population, that's a little over HALF the percentage what the Black population is in the US. Moravia and Bohemia were very integrated to German history and culture, especially the urban population. Seriously if it wasn't for Czechoslovakian independence due to WWI and their forced expulsion of Germans, Poles, and Hungarians, we'd see Czech and Slovak today as endangered minority languages in their homelands, and almost certainly as dialects of one language. Languages are dialects with an army to back them up, and a language's ability to survive often depends on a government (of some level of independence) to promote it and allow it to thrive. We see this over and over. In a scenario where Germany can get Moravia and Bohemia, they will take it, and Czechs start to disappear.

Was this actually considered OTL? I can't seem to find any mention of it? Then again, I only looked in English sources (which if the Antonovichi chapter of my TL proved anything - where my chief sources were German or Danish (with the help of google translate) - one should probably cast the net as wide as possible).

About Bohemia in/not in Germany, you had three plans, the small Germany (OTL) the Great Germany (includes Austria and Bohemia-Moravia) and the Great Austrian Way, Just bump everyone in Germany as long as they are under Austrian Empire. I hardly see the last one happening, but if Austria is in, Bohemia too !

Vuu

Banned
Greece - coup d'etat fails, or Papadoupolos doesn't abolish it
Yugoslavia/Serbia - Allies decide to support the chetniks, or Tito gets btfo and the partisans collapse into infighting. Requires the USSR to not invade the Balkans since they would install communists anyway, so you could say that in this scenario all of the Balkans keep their monarchies

I don't agree with the often mentioned- have Germany (or Ottomans, or CP in general) win WWI and boom, the monarchy survives. History shows this often doesn't save monarchies, see- France after the ARW. Germany and A-H lost WWI from within. Even with a CP "win" the monarchies, especially A-H are going to fall.
A-H was actually very stable up till 1917 or so.
It collapsed under the weight of the First World War, but it could have survived.

A-H was actually very stable up till 1917 or so.
It collapsed under the weight of the First World War, but it could have survived.

I think it would still have to federalize or figure some way around the whole multicultural/multiethnic problem, otherwise it's doomed. Crown Prince Rudolf favoured the Hungarians, FF the Czechs, and heaven knows who Karl I favoured

There is another option with China --
There is the Ming / Confucius route. During the last days of the Qing, many wanted the restoration of the Ming Emperor or a descendant of Confucius on the throne. Say that they are successful - there you go a different monarch. The problem comes the rest of Chinese history - World War Two and Chairman Mao in particular - something would have to be done about them; the latter is easily solved - Mao becomes Prime Minister, the former is also solved by having them fight united against the Japanese.

If Ming is restored many of the overseas chinese are going to return.

Quick question-are we counting constitutional monarchies(i.e. surviving but with powers roughly comparable to existing European monarchies) or do they have to survive as regimes?

All of them will hardly survive the entire 20th century. King Farouk of Egypt reportedly once said: "The whole world is in revolt. Soon there will be only five Kings left – the King of England, the King of Spades, the King of Clubs, the King of Hearts, and the King of Diamonds."